Terry M

Default Mixer

Looking to purchase a Kitchen Aid mixer. They make a 4, 5 & 6 quart
model. Which one is best suited to all around bread making use?

Thanks in advance.

Terry
Samartha Deva

Terry M wrote:

> Looking to purchase a Kitchen Aid mixer. They make a 4, 5 & 6 quart
> model. Which one is best suited to all around bread making use?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Terry

First, you did not supply a (howsoever obscured) email address which
raises a yellow flag for trolling in connection with your OT (amongst
other properties) question here. Nevertheless, maybe all this does not
apply - the size 4, 5, ... is the bowl size which somewhat correlates
with the capacity but far not matches it.

You answering the question of what the dough amounts you plan to mix in
one batch could give you some indications since the manual for the 6 qt
states: "NEVER use recipes calling for more than 12 cups all-purpose
flour or 8 cups whole wheat flour when making dough with a 6 quart
mixer."

The values for the other models a 8 c all purpose/6 c whole-wheat
for the 4 1/2 qt model, 10 c all-purpose or 8 c whole wheat for the 5 qt
model.

What they don't mention is the dough hydration which has a major
influence on capacity where I found something a while ago:

> Here are the values given in the BB book for the Hobart 20:
>
> 25 lbs at 60 % hydration
> 15 lbs at 55 % hydration
> 10 lbs at 50 % hydration
>
> for high protein dough.
>
> I find a decrease of over 50 % of load capacity for 10 % in
> hydration and the ability to mix a 10 lbs capacity with
> a $ 3,500 piece of equipment amazing.

The kind of hydration you are planning to use

My solution was to buy the 6 qt:

http://samartha.net/links/KA-6Q.html (mfg. link)

Which I am currently selling.

IMO, rec.food.equipment would maybe be a more appropriate newsgroup for
your issue.

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/
Sweet Ol' Bob

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:31:13 -0700, Samartha Deva
> wrote:

>First, you did not supply a (howsoever obscured) email address which
>raises a yellow flag for trolling

Only among the asshole paranoids on this forum.

The use of an alias in today's spam environment is commonplace on
Usenet.

Just check out those forums where there are not as many asshole
paranoids as this one.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"Complete, fully thought through, professional, well-executed
violence never leads to more violence because, you see,
afterwards, the other guys are all dead. That's right, dead.
Not 'on trial,' not 'reeducated,' not 'nurtured back into the
bosom of love.' Dead. D-E-A-D. Well, you get the idea."
-- USMC General Hawley
Dick Adams

"Samartha Deva" > in message =
said to Terry M wrote:

> First, you did not supply a (howsoever obscured) email address which
> raises a yellow flag for trolling in connection with your OT (amongst
> other properties) question here.

There was actually a "spamproofed" e-addy in the header. I think all
the bullshit with our current NG flake is making you jumpy.

I think your reply was very useful, particularly about the =
interrelationship
between dough hydration and mixer capacity. That, in itself, should
put the thread on-topic.

> [ ... ]

> My solution was to buy the 6 qt:
> http://samartha.net/links/KA-6Q.html (mfg. link)
> Which I am currently selling.

Your disdain for that superior home mixer surely identifies you as
a professional.

Case of my humble KA 4.5 quart mixer, my early experience of=20
stripping the nylon pinion confirmed your information that mixing
a really dry dough is very hard on any mixer. OTOH, that part
only costs ~$10, so I go ahead and take some chances every now
and then.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname>at bigfoot dot com

Samartha Deva

Dick Adams wrote:

> There was actually a "spamproofed" e-addy in the header. I think all
> the bullshit with our current NG flake is making you jumpy.

Oh - you're right - didn't see that when replying, it was also the
question, but it did it's thing anyway ;-)

> Your disdain for that superior home mixer surely identifies you as
> a professional.

Disdain? It's a good piece of equipment, rarely used, sitting idly and
taking up space and I need a new Ph meter. With a few mind acrobatics
and considering your personality - yes, you absolutely have a point ;-)

For a brief period, I was using two mixers parallel, or tried to but it
did not proof worthwhile.

Take care,

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/

Terry M

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:31:13 -0700, Samartha Deva
> wrote:

>Terry M wrote:
>>
>> Looking to purchase a Kitchen Aid mixer. They make a 4, 5 & 6 quart
>> model. Which one is best suited to all around bread making use?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Terry

>First, you did not supply a (howsoever obscured) email address which
>raises a yellow flag for trolling in connection with your OT (amongst
>other properties) question here. Nevertheless, maybe all this does not
>apply - the size 4, 5, ... is the bowl size which somewhat correlates
>with the capacity but far not matches it.
>
>You answering the question of what the dough amounts you plan to mix in
>one batch could give you some indications since the manual for the 6 qt
>states: "NEVER use recipes calling for more than 12 cups all-purpose
>flour or 8 cups whole wheat flour when making dough with a 6 quart
>mixer."
>
>The values for the other models a 8 c all purpose/6 c whole-wheat
>for the 4 1/2 qt model, 10 c all-purpose or 8 c whole wheat for the 5 qt
>model.
>
>What they don't mention is the dough hydration which has a major
>influence on capacity where I found something a while ago:
>
>> Here are the values given in the BB book for the Hobart 20:
>>
>> 25 lbs at 60 % hydration
>> 15 lbs at 55 % hydration
>> 10 lbs at 50 % hydration
>>
>> for high protein dough.
>>
>> I find a decrease of over 50 % of load capacity for 10 % in
>> hydration and the ability to mix a 10 lbs capacity with
>> a $ 3,500 piece of equipment amazing.

>The kind of hydration you are planning to use
>
>My solution was to buy the 6 qt:
>
>http://samartha.net/links/KA-6Q.html (mfg. link)
>
>Which I am currently selling.
>
>IMO, rec.food.equipment would maybe be a more appropriate newsgroup for
>your issue.
>
>Samartha

Hello Samartha:

We have emailed each other recently about my trying to make a rye
starter. Regarding my email address, if you were to reply via email
you would see my email address plus an anti-spam device thrown in for
good measure. I had to change my email address about 3 months ago due
to a constant barrage of virus ridden emails. I was getting 40 to 70
bogus emails a day - it was REALLY bad. Needless to say I don't want
that to happen again.

I posted the message for the mixer in this group because I figured who
would be better than this group for putting mixers through the paces
with bread dough. It's just my wife and I - I didn't want to spend
big $$ unless everyone said don't waste your money on something
smaller than a 6 quart mixer. I was looking at the Bosch but they
wanted $800.00 + which is way out of my budget. I was looking at the
5 quart KA but again I hate to spend the money if it will burn out
within 6 months.

Thanks all for the help!

Samartha Deva

Terry M wrote:

> Hello Samartha:
>
> We have emailed each other recently about my trying to make a rye
> starter. Regarding my email address, if you were to reply via email
> you would see my email address plus an anti-spam device thrown in for
> good measure. I had to change my email address about 3 months ago due
> to a constant barrage of virus ridden emails. I was getting 40 to 70
> bogus emails a day - it was REALLY bad. Needless to say I don't want
> that to happen again.

Oh well, now I have to apologize... if I get more than one email in
regards to SD into the same email box/folder, I get mixed up.

> I posted the message for the mixer in this group because I figured who
> would be better than this group for putting mixers through the paces
> with bread dough. It's just my wife and I - I didn't want to spend
> big $$ unless everyone said don't waste your money on something
> smaller than a 6 quart mixer. I was looking at the Bosch but they
> wanted $800.00 + which is way out of my budget. I was looking at the
> 5 quart KA but again I hate to spend the money if it will burn out
> within 6 months.

From what I know, the KA 6 has two overload protections - one is (I
think), an overload/current/temperature protection in the 10-speed
electronic control unit and the second is a temperature fuse on the
engine "block" - the magnetic core of the motor.

The KA 5's I know from the baking school and with small loads they are
ok & I was able to switch the speed up and down.

With the KA 6, on full loads, there are descriptions in the recipe book
with the sequences of how to load the ingredients (water, flour) - I
don't remember how, but on full load, only speed 2 is the one to be run
on.

The last price on the KA 5 I saw at Costco was $ 250.00 - $ 0.01 + tax.

> Thanks all for the help!

No problem, hope things work out.

Samartha

Mixer Shana's Sweets Cooking Equipment 1 29-05-2011 09:04 PM
My next mixer. ImStillMags General Cooking 17 20-05-2011 08:11 PM
mixer thekitchen-aide Cooking Equipment 1 09-03-2011 06:50 PM
Mixer (here we go again) gloria.p General Cooking 23 11-08-2010 06:13 PM
New Mixer Paul Gilbert[_2_] Sourdough 6 04-12-2008 02:56 AM