Wcsjohn

Default Baguette au levain

And, if I'm finding this thread increasingly futile and dull, I doubt I'll be
alone so, for me, that's enough.

I have bread to bake, much more worthwhile.

John
Roy Basan

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message >...
> "Roy Basan" > wrote in message
> om...

> Your character seems to be to be verbose at the expense of being
> informative.

> I do not know why you, and Kenneth, are so adverse to presenting
> photographs to substantiate your claims and to elucidate the information
> and advice you sometimes offer.
>
> It is said that a picture is worth 1000 words. That number, to me
> seems conservative.
>
> For instance, in this vein, a picture of what you think a baguette
> should
> look like -- even one from a magazine, text book, or web page, if so

ÿ qualified, might be helpful.
I am sorry Dick it was never my style of presenting pictures. Even my
relatives complain about this. That whenever I visit a certain country
I never send them pictures of places ,what that I like in the places I
visited, but instead do to great lengths to explain verbally the
detail of the visit.The anecdotes and incident that occurred, the
luscious food I eaten, will come profusely in words that some of the
listeners eyes will even glaze in boredom listening to my experience.
They always kept pressing me, where are the photographs. You went to
such fabulous pleces with not a shred of evidence but a spent plane
ticket and hotel reciepts?
In the same way with baking, I have seen to many good breads but I
never got interested on taking copies or photos, collecting them in a
scrapbook just like any enthusiastic bakery oriented person who loves
to remember his experience or kept models for referrence.
I do not collect pictures either nor love to show off those graphic
details that I like from personal experience.
IF I happen to present a technical report to a technical
conference,which contains graphics ( including pictures of breads) etc
that is only for that venue only.
I do not copy bread pictures from bakery literatures either; its not
my style.
I prefer to kept my experience at the back of my head as I considered
it a mental exercise and good for the brain( not to succumb to
Alzheimer related symptoms if you kept it agile by keeping it will
honed) to remember the detail how it occurred in the past.
Therefore I come and go to places , bake bread , do technical
things,experience life to the fullest; but leave nothing but dust in
my wake.
For me:
We are born naked, therefore we should die and rot with nothing in
ourselves; no pictures but cherished memories that vanish with us in
our grave.
Roy
"
Roy Basan

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message >...
> "Roy Basan" > concluded message
> om
> with:
>
> > ... seeing what I can do to help solve a problem to a particular
> > bakery situation will completely erase their doubts.

> Well, Roy, the particular bakery situation which exists in most
> home bakeries is that there is not much bakery equipment. In
> particular, the ovens are very simple, as compared to commercial
> bakery ovens.
>
> So how much can you help solve that problem? Do you have any
> experience with home ovens?

I had but not much as compared to you guys as I prefer to do my
baking at work than at home..But many of these hobbyist who know me
and met me personally always ask for pointers not related to oven but
other areas of bakery related interest.
The bulk of my troubleshooting is in the institutional side and that
includes application of dough and batter chemistry to their bakery
production problems as well as equipment and formulation problems.
> I'd guess that it is more difficult to turn out a good and attractive
> loaf using a home oven than it is for the commercial baker in his
> well-equipped bakery.

You are right Dick,,,, that is why getting a professional quality
bread from home oven will always arouse suspicion .
> If you would every like to try baking sourdough bread in a home
> oven, some of us might be able to offer you some help.

Do not worry Dick if some home baker who wants to ask for some help in
that area I will refer this NG for informative information. It is
perplexing sometimes to hear a hobbyist baker who complain to me that
his or her oven is not good for his bread no matter how I tried to
explain reasonably to the person the principles of baking and oven
operation.he/ she cannot make out of my explanation and relate to the
current problem..
I am sure you guys will be more capable than me in that area.
Roy
Dick Adams

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message =
om...

> [ ... ]

> Therefore I come and go to places, bake bread, do technical
> things, experience life to the fullest; but leave nothing but dust in
> my wake.

Dust? Why is it so difficult to get it off my shoe?

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message =
m...

> > I'd guess that it is more difficult to turn out a good and =

attractive
> > loaf using a home oven than it is for the commercial baker in his
> > well-equipped bakery.

> You are right Dick,,,, that is why getting a professional quality=20
> bread from home oven will always arouse suspicion.

That is where the photos come in. Take Samartha, for instance:
There is no doubt that he is doing what he says he is doing. But
why, exactly, is he doing it in that way? Ed demonstrated that it=20
is possible to make a Poilane (sic) loaf from Kenneth's simple recipe
(so why is the recipe I posted so complicated?). Elsewhere, a fake
photo could be spotted immediately by an intelligent mind.

---
DickA
=20

Is there a standard for an amount of levain to dough Dee Randall Sourdough 9 18-07-2008 08:59 AM
What to do with 5-6 lbs. of leftover liquid levain Dee Randall Sourdough 7 11-07-2008 02:23 PM
5th day into making Leader's liquid levain Dee Dee Sourdough 2 06-07-2008 05:53 PM
Levain Shaun Ginsbourg Sourdough 15 24-06-2006 06:09 PM
Need some help with chef/levain/starter. Samartha Sourdough 15 25-07-2004 05:00 PM