Ulrike Westphal

Default Baguette au levain

========== REZKONV-Rezept - RezkonvSuite v0.97

Titel: Baguette Au Levain
Kategorien: Brot, USA
Menge: 6 Baguettes 14 " or 5 Baguettes à 250 g

510 Gramm (18 ounces) Levain (starter 100 % hydration)
531 Gramm (2 1/4 cups = 18 fluid ounces) water *
684 Gramm - 827 Gramm (24 - 29 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 Essl. (tablespoon) salt

============================== QUELLE ==============================
Daniel Leader, Bread Alone 1993
-- Erfasst *RK* 13.06.04 von
-- Ulrike Westphal

Mix all ingredients and ferment 2 hours at room temperature (74 F -81
F recommended). Deflate and cut in 6 (5) pieces. Shape into balls on
a lightly floured board. Let rest for 30 minutes. Flatten with heel
of hand and shape into baguettes. Proof until doubled in volume (2
hours) and bake at 225 °C (450 F) with steam on a baking stone for 20
minutes.

=====
I tried this recipe with German all-purpose flour Type 405 with 20 % germs
(protein 10.6 %) from soft wheat. I used only 1 1/3 cups* water for 24
ounces flour. The dough was a little sticky and very soft so it did the
proof and the baking in a baguette pan.

Hydration: ~60 %
Final dough weight: 1482 g = 52 ounces;
Baguettes weight: 1247 g (2x 251 g, 2x 237 g, 1x 271 g) = 43,8 oz
5 baguettes = each about 34 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm (13,4" x 2" x 2")
The results are visible at
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/Bread/Baguettes.html
Thanks to Ed Bechtel to post my pictures.

Ulrike Westphal

Ed Bechtel

Nice baguette photos.

I have 2 comments.

1. It looks like the recipe using all 531 grams of water would produce dough
with a hydration over 80 percent. My experience with 80 percent hydration is
that I've got pancake batter. The best I can do with that hydration is form the
plop of dough into a ciabatta. No wonder you cut the water back.

2. That's some nice baking equipment you've got there. Where did you find the 5
slot baguette pan? Do you slide the pan onto a preheated baking stone?

3. Thanks for sharing photos. It looks like flash was used. Sometimes flash
obliterates the detail in the crumb photo. It was suggested to me to try using
oblique sunlight for the closeup crumb photo. My problem is that the bread is
sliced at night-time, or I don't have a tetrahedryl rotovator to project the
incoming beam of sunlight into the kitchen at the proper oblique angle.

4. The bread you make with type 405 all purpose flour looks good. How is the
flavor?

Ed
Ulrike Westphal

"Ed Bechtel" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Nice baguette photos.
>
> I have 2 comments.
>
> 1. It looks like the recipe using all 531 grams of water would produce

dough
> with a hydration over 80 percent. My experience with 80 percent hydration

is
> that I've got pancake batter. The best I can do with that hydration is

form the
> plop of dough into a ciabatta. No wonder you cut the water back.
>
> 2. That's some nice baking equipment you've got there. Where did you find

the 5 > slot baguette pan? Do you slide the pan onto a preheated baking
stone?

I slide the baguette pan with the gridiron into the hot oven. I found the
pan at
http://www.hobbybaecker.de/hobbyshop...2.html&lang=de

> 3. Thanks for sharing photos. It looks like flash was used. Sometimes

flash
> obliterates the detail in the crumb photo. It was suggested to me to try

using
> oblique sunlight for the closeup crumb photo. My problem is that the bread

is
> sliced at night-time, or I don't have a tetrahedryl rotovator to project

the
> incoming beam of sunlight into the kitchen at the proper oblique angle.

And I'm unable to turn off the slash, because I can't find the manual and
the "owner" of the camera is not available.

> 4. The bread you make with type 405 all purpose flour looks good. How is

the
> flavor?
>
> Ed

I would say it had a nice sourdough flavor.
Ulrike

Roy Basan

"Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message >...
> ========== REZKONV-Rezept - RezkonvSuite v0.97
>
> Titel: Baguette Au Levain
> Kategorien: Brot, USA
> Menge: 6 Baguettes 14 " or 5 Baguettes à 250 g
>
> 510 Gramm (18 ounces) Levain (starter 100 % hydration)
> 531 Gramm (2 1/4 cups = 18 fluid ounces) water *
> 684 Gramm - 827 Gramm (24 - 29 ounces) all-purpose flour
> 1 Essl. (tablespoon) salt
>
> ============================== QUELLE ==============================
> Daniel Leader, Bread Alone 1993
> -- Erfasst *RK* 13.06.04 von
> -- Ulrike Westphal
>
> Mix all ingredients and ferment 2 hours at room temperature (74 F -81
> F recommended). Deflate and cut in 6 (5) pieces. Shape into balls on
> a lightly floured board. Let rest for 30 minutes. Flatten with heel
> of hand and shape into baguettes. Proof until doubled in volume (2
> hours) and bake at 225 °C (450 F) with steam on a baking stone for 20
> minutes.
>
> =====
> I tried this recipe with German all-purpose flour Type 405 with 20 % germs
> (protein 10.6 %) from soft wheat. I used only 1 1/3 cups* water for 24
> ounces flour. The dough was a little sticky and very soft so it did the
> proof and the baking in a baguette pan.
>
> Hydration: ~60 %
> Final dough weight: 1482 g = 52 ounces;
> Baguettes weight: 1247 g (2x 251 g, 2x 237 g, 1x 271 g) = 43,8 oz
> 5 baguettes = each about 34 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm (13,4" x 2" x 2")
> The results are visible at
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/Bread/Baguettes.html
> Thanks to Ed Bechtel to post my pictures.
>
> Ulrike Westphal

That is the same recipe used by the bakery speciliazing in gourmet
breads I recently visited but the resulting bread was more bold
looking similar to a bakers yeast raised baguette.
It might be that your flour does not offer such satisfactory oven
spring or you slightly overproofed it so as to have minimal opening
of the slashes..In addition your home oven may not be optimized for
such dough.
Meanwhile the flour protein used by that bakery was 11.6%.
Rouy
Dick Adams

"Roy Basan" > in message =
om...
commented on Ulrike's loaves at
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/Bread/Baguettes.html

> It might be that your flour does not offer such satisfactory oven
> spring or you slightly overproofed it so as to have minimal opening
> of the slashes..In addition your home oven may not be optimized for
> such dough.

Looks good to me. What does your bread look like, Roy? Do=20
you know much about baking in a home oven? Exactly what should
be done to optimize a home oven?

Exactly what properties of flour are needed for satisfactory oven =
spring?

One thing is for sure -- you can't really make a baguette in a home=20
oven because home ovens are not deep enough.

---
DickA

Wcsjohn

>Looks good to me. What does your bread look like, Roy? Do=20
>you know much about baking in a home oven? Exactly what should
>be done to optimize a home oven?
>
>Exactly what properties of flour are needed for satisfactory oven =
>spring?

In my experience, flour type, provided it has enough gluten to make
satisfactory bread, is very much less important than developing gluten during
mixing, kneading and rising, and timing of baking in ensuring good oven
spring. If you're looking for spectacular slash opening AND a light crumb your
ideal baking window can be as narrow as 10 minutes. (on a hot day with
commercial yeast - I've not yet discovered how close the timing can be on
sourdough baguettes.)

>One thing is for sure -- you can't really make a baguette in a home=20
>oven because home ovens are not deep enough.
>
>---
>DickA

Wcsjohn

Apologies, Dick, I had a bad attack of cheap fingers and hit the send buttton
before finishing the previous post.

>>One thing is for sure -- you can't really make a baguette in a home=20
>>oven because home ovens are not deep enough.
>>
>>---
>>DickA

The name "baguette" is, I agree, at best, a courtesy title for long thin home
baked loaves. The most I can produce in my oven is a Baton or Ficelle.

John
Roy Basan

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message >...
> "Roy Basan" > in message
> om...
> commented on Ulrike's loaves at
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gfb9/Bread/Baguettes.html
>

> Looks good to me. What does your bread look like, Roy? Do
> you know much about baking in a home oven? Exactly what should
> be done to optimize a home oven?

Try to visualize DicK
IF you compare the appearance of bakers yeast raised baguette and
that levain baguette made in that bakery( both with no additives and
fermented normally/traditioanally) they have similarities.I think in
some cases you had passsed by a bakery who sold such levain raised
french stick and you can see the difference.
To me,The major difference are, the taste which is superior with the
levain raised bread.The nice split of the slash pattern,the bold
looking appearance which seems to tell the customer' buy me, I both
look good and taste good'.
Meanwhile that bread shown in the pictures looks tired , (and
obese?)as the slits did not even open well.That bread in the
pictures,seems to say' I am sorry I look grumpy today, but who cares I
still taste good<g>.

> Exactly what properties of flour are needed for satisfactory oven
> spring?

Well dick you are smart to figure that out.There is no point
explaining the technical details .Even without the specialized
knowledge you can recognize a bread made with a good flour and poor
one.
Do not pretend<g>.You had virtually spent your life baking at home and
therefore you should notice the variations in flour you use. Unless
you are a friggin loyalist for a particular type of flour, just like
your zeal for sourdough.It is best for you to discover that out for
your self.
> One thing is for sure -- you can't really make a baguette in a home
> oven because home ovens are not deep enough.

A baguette can still be made satisfactorily,but even if the recipe are
similar,but it will never come out exactly the same as that made with
the institutional oven used for such purpose.In addition another
significant point the skilled commercial baker understood the
processing technique totally and had elevated to an art the way of
slashing the dough before baking in order to obtain the desired
attractive apppearance on the bread.
Try to imitate that skill at the luxury of your home.
Roy
Dick Adams

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message =
om...

> ... Try to imitate that skill (that of the skilled commercial =

baker)(in "the=20
> way of slashing the dough before baking in order to obtain the =

desired
> attractive apppearance on the bread") (in) the luxury of your home.

Or maybe in the squalor of my mud hut.

Deep in my heart, I believe that attempting to imitate the so-called =
skill of
the so-called commercial baker, whether he be a skilled one, or one of =
the
common garden-variety kind, is a mistake for the home baker.

One item in particular: for most purposes, a baker with an ordinary =
home
oven should, in the case of sourdough, not count on oven-push, but =
should
take the major portion of the rise before the bake. In order, then, for =
the
slashes to open properly, they should be made in advance of the bake, =
like
maybe an hour, depending on conditions.

That pretty-much eliminates the possibility of the banneton-peel =
flip-flop=20
technique. That, for most home-bakers, is a real good way to collapse =
the
loaf even before the final punishment (slashing). That is to say that =
baking=20
the loaf/loaves in the same orientation as it/they were risen in, is a =
desirable=20
simplification for the home baker. Ulrike, for instance, can do that on =

account of the form that she uses.

> A baguette ... will never come out exactly the same as that made with
> the institutional oven ...

Yep, you can say that again! Home bakers, unless their name is Kenneth, =

do not have the same ovens as institutionalized bakers.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com

P.S. for John. John, the "=3D20"s are real. They are legitmate =
Internet Flotsam.
They were also noted by "Bob" . They are sometimes
appended to the first line of a quote by the dark forces.

Steve B

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> In addition another
> significant point the skilled commercial baker understood the
> processing technique totally and had elevated to an art the way of
> slashing the dough before baking in order to obtain the desired
> attractive apppearance on the bread.
> Try to imitate that skill at the luxury of your home.

Roy, you shouldn't sell the home baker short. That skill can be 'imitated'
quite readily by the home baker, as evidenced by the following photo of a
batard that I baked in my home kitchen:

(one may need to belong to the Yahoo Bread Pictures group to view the photo)

- Steve Brandt

Ulrike Westphal

"Steve B" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Roy Basan" > wrote in message
> om...
> > In addition another
> > significant point the skilled commercial baker understood the
> > processing technique totally and had elevated to an art the way of
> > slashing the dough before baking in order to obtain the desired
> > attractive apppearance on the bread.
> > Try to imitate that skill at the luxury of your home.

> Roy, you shouldn't sell the home baker short. That skill can be

'imitated'
> quite readily by the home baker, as evidenced by the following photo of a
> batard that I baked in my home kitchen:

> (one may need to belong to the Yahoo Bread Pictures group to view the

photo)

> - Steve Brandt

I am unable to access the Yahoo photos. I get an error even though I have a
logon ID.
Ulrike

Steve B

"Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message
> I am unable to access the Yahoo photos. I get an error even though I have

> logon ID.
> Ulrike

Ulrike, I believe you may have to join the Yahoo Bread Pictures group, in
addition to logging on to Yahoo, in order to see the pictures.

- Steve Brandt

Ulrike Westphal

"Wcsjohn" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >Looks good to me. What does your bread look like, Roy? Do=20
> >you know much about baking in a home oven? Exactly what should
> >be done to optimize a home oven?
> >
> >Exactly what properties of flour are needed for satisfactory oven =
> >spring?

> In my experience, flour type, provided it has enough gluten to make
> satisfactory bread, is very much less important than developing gluten

during
> mixing, kneading and rising, and timing of baking in ensuring good oven
> spring. If you're looking for spectacular slash opening AND a light crumb

your
> ideal baking window can be as narrow as 10 minutes. (on a hot day with
> commercial yeast - I've not yet discovered how close the timing can be on
> sourdough baguettes.)
>

> >One thing is for sure -- you can't really make a baguette in a home=20
> >oven because home ovens are not deep enough.
> >
> >---
> >DickA

Probably Roy is right with my flour. I used flour with 2% germs. So 0.5 g
protein in 100 g originates from germ, so that my flour has only 9.9 %
protein that contains gluten far away from 11.6 %. Where little is, can't
develop much.

Ulrike

Ulrike Westphal

> "Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message
> > I am unable to access the Yahoo photos. I get an error even though I

have
> > logon ID.
> > Ulrike

> Ulrike, I believe you may have to join the Yahoo Bread Pictures group, in
> addition to logging on to Yahoo, in order to see the pictures.
>
> - Steve Brandt

I am already member of that groupa and I get that error message
Ulrike

jajaj

man, i've been wondering how to get rid of some oven push.. unless i
slash correctly, my loaves go a bit disfigured in the oven. when i do
slash correctly, the slashes get "rounded out" by the push

jeremy lakey - firstname at lastname dot net

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Roy Basan" > wrote in message om...
>

>>... Try to imitate that skill (that of the skilled commercial baker)(in "the
>>way of slashing the dough before baking in order to obtain the desired
>>attractive apppearance on the bread") (in) the luxury of your home.

> Or maybe in the squalor of my mud hut.
>
> Deep in my heart, I believe that attempting to imitate the so-called skill of
> the so-called commercial baker, whether he be a skilled one, or one of the
> common garden-variety kind, is a mistake for the home baker.
>
> One item in particular: for most purposes, a baker with an ordinary home
> oven should, in the case of sourdough, not count on oven-push, but should
> take the major portion of the rise before the bake. In order, then, for the
> slashes to open properly, they should be made in advance of the bake, like
> maybe an hour, depending on conditions.
>
> That pretty-much eliminates the possibility of the banneton-peel flip-flop
> technique. That, for most home-bakers, is a real good way to collapse the
> loaf even before the final punishment (slashing). That is to say that baking
> the loaf/loaves in the same orientation as it/they were risen in, is a desirable
> simplification for the home baker. Ulrike, for instance, can do that on
> account of the form that she uses.
>

>>A baguette ... will never come out exactly the same as that made with
>>the institutional oven ...

> Yep, you can say that again! Home bakers, unless their name is Kenneth,
> do not have the same ovens as institutionalized bakers.

Ed Bechtel

Steve wrote:

<< you may have to join the Yahoo Bread Pictures group, in
addition to logging on to Yahoo, in order to see the pictures. >>

Ed asks,

Steve ... internet service providers sometimes include a few megabytes of
personal web space, http/mysite.comcast.net/thebigsteve (I just made that up
don't click on it).

Is it possible for you to FTP your photo(s) up to your web site. I am having
hella time getting to yahoo pictures.

ed
Dusty

Or--and this goes for any of y'all reading here--I'm more than happy to post
your pix to my website. I'm my own ISP and site manager, and can take a
post of any size. Label 'em and/or include any text you want with 'em, and
send 'em on over. I'll post 'em as soon as I get 'em...

I'll do ANYTHING to not have to try to access that miserable Yahoo site!

Regards all,
Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
>
> << you may have to join the Yahoo Bread Pictures group, in
> addition to logging on to Yahoo, in order to see the pictures. >>
>

> Ed asks,
>
> Steve ... internet service providers sometimes include a few megabytes of
> personal web space, http/mysite.comcast.net/thebigsteve (I just made that

up
> don't click on it).
>
> Is it possible for you to FTP your photo(s) up to your web site. I am

having
> hella time getting to yahoo pictures.
>
> ed

Roy Basan

"Steve B" > wrote in message news:<7%LBc.69138$2i5.14681@attbi_s52>...
> "Roy Basan" > wrote in message
> om...
> > In addition another
> > significant point the skilled commercial baker understood the
> > processing technique totally and had elevated to an art the way of
> > slashing the dough before baking in order to obtain the desired
> > attractive apppearance on the bread.
> > Try to imitate that skill at the luxury of your home.

> Roy, you shouldn't sell the home baker short. That skill can be 'imitated'
> quite readily by the home baker, as evidenced by the following photo of a
> batard that I baked in my home kitchen:

> (one may need to belong to the Yahoo Bread Pictures group to view the photo)
>
> - Steve Brandt

Hello Steve, I tried to check the pictures you want to show but
failed to get into with a yahoo ID. I got an error message as well.I
used to eaaily get in but now no more.
Roy
Dusty

Roy, try it he
http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Bread/Pix/

Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply
"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello Steve, I tried to check the pictures you want to show but
> failed to get into with a yahoo ID. I got an error message as well.I
> used to eaaily get in but now no more.
> Roy

Roy Basan

"Dusty" > wrote in message >...
> Roy, try it he
> http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Bread/Pix/
>

> Dusty

Thanks Dusty,
Yeah that long batard looks satisfactory ; slashed at the correct
angle at the proper point of proofing indicating the possibility that
the guy who made it had a job experience/ training in the baking
industry .
But still I do not find that to be perfect if compared to the
product I saw made by bakery specializing in such kind of French
stick using either baker's yeast or levain as raising agent.
Many bakeries are happy with that kind of appearance but not the
discriminating french baker. I am sure that an old timer french baker
(whom I know) have still something considerable to say against that
bread (latest) bread picture from the aesthetic point of view.I have
seen how he criticized the appearance of even breads very
satisfactorily made by his fellow french bakers.Much better than what
is in that picture.
Therefore those bakers who had elevated to an art the making of such
bread is difficult to please and there is no doubt that a trained
hobbyist ( like steve)will be disheartened to hear the disparaging
criticism of their work.
Roy

Steve B

Roy,

You missed my point entirely. I never claimed that I produced the 'perfect'
batard (by the way, I was 'the guy who made it' and I have never had a job
or training in the baking industry). Instead, my point was that it is
possible for experienced home bakers to get results that rival those of
commercial bakers.

- Steve Brandt

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...

> Yeah that long batard looks satisfactory ; slashed at the correct
> angle at the proper point of proofing indicating the possibility that
> the guy who made it had a job experience/ training in the baking
> industry .
> But still I do not find that to be perfect...

Roy Basan

"Steve B" > wrote in message news:<N0jCc.164511$Ly.79398@attbi_s01>...
> Roy,
>
> You missed my point entirely. I never claimed that I produced the 'perfect'
> batard (by the way, I was 'the guy who made it' and I have never had a job
> or training in the baking industry). Instead, my point was that it is
> possible for experienced home bakers to get results that rival those of
> commercial bakers.
>
> - Steve Brandt

Steve, you are trying to emphasize that you can do as nice looking
bread ( although not up to the highest standard )as the the well made
bread from specialist bakeries) because you trained for it under a
good instructor.If you insist otherwise you are telling a tall
tale<g>.
Or you can possibly grab a bread from a bakery bring it home and place
on the board and take a picture of it and claim it as your
own<g>.Many people who do not understand the preparation of the bread
will believe you.
I have even heard of a clever bakery trainee who swapped (quickly
while nobody was looking around) their inferior looking loaf with a
purchased one to show to their instructor during the examination of
their baked product .
Luckily the instructor has a keen eye and really know the bread that
he declared it was not made by that student.
You cannot learn the skill by guessing the angle or the timing of the
baking.Somebody have to show you how to do it. And it takes time to
get accustomed to the subtle technique of proper dough slashing (and
even timing.).And you claim proudly that you can do it by yourself
easily.
No sensible ,qualified bakery craftsman and other in the bakery trade
will believe on that.

Therefore....
Tell your story to the marines!
Roy
Steve B

Roy,

If you choose to call me a liar, that's fine. I don't really care.
However, it would go a long way to bolster your own credibility if you were
to post even a single photo of one of your own breads. People on this
newsgroup would then have a hard time dismissing your comments so easily.

- Steve Brandt

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> Steve, you are trying to emphasize that you can do as nice looking
> bread ( although not up to the highest standard )as the the well made
> bread from specialist bakeries) because you trained for it under a
> good instructor.If you insist otherwise you are telling a tall
> tale<g>.
> Or you can possibly grab a bread from a bakery bring it home and place
> on the board and take a picture of it and claim it as your
> own<g>.Many people who do not understand the preparation of the bread
> will believe you.
> I have even heard of a clever bakery trainee who swapped (quickly
> while nobody was looking around) their inferior looking loaf with a
> purchased one to show to their instructor during the examination of
> their baked product .
> Luckily the instructor has a keen eye and really know the bread that
> he declared it was not made by that student.
> You cannot learn the skill by guessing the angle or the timing of the
> baking.Somebody have to show you how to do it. And it takes time to
> get accustomed to the subtle technique of proper dough slashing (and
> even timing.).And you claim proudly that you can do it by yourself
> easily.
> No sensible ,qualified bakery craftsman and other in the bakery trade
> will believe on that.
>
> Therefore....
> Tell your story to the marines!
> Roy

Roy Basan

"Steve B" > wrote in message news:<gdyCc.105177$0y.93906@attbi_s03>...
> Roy,
>
> If you choose to call me a liar, that's fine. I don't really care.
> However, it would go a long way to bolster your own credibility if you were
> to post even a single photo of one of your own breads. People on this
> newsgroup would then have a hard time dismissing your comments so easily.

Steve directly I do not call you a liar but your claim is so
unbelievable.
Alright I believe you , you are the reincarnation of Thomas Edison and
have rediscovered by your own effort the way of making french bread<g>
instead of the electric bulb..
I hope you are happy now..
Regarding pictures, well I am not that shallow person to present
my achievements so that most people will believe me..
It is better for people to see me as so ordinary looking,not even a
single picture to prove my achievements and do not see anyting
spectacular. in my person.
In fact many of people who consult me for technical solutions cannot
believe if I can be capable of doing such things and if I am the
right person for such job they need to be sorted out.
But seeing what I can do to help solve a problem to a particular
bakery situation will compeletely erase their doubts.

Roy
Wcsjohn

>> Roy,
>>
>> If you choose to call me a liar, that's fine. I don't really care.
>> However, it would go a long way to bolster your own credibility if you were
>> to post even a single photo of one of your own breads. People on this
>> newsgroup would then have a hard time dismissing your comments so easily.
>>

>Steve directly I do not call you a liar but your claim is so
>unbelievable.
>Alright I believe you , you are the reincarnation of Thomas Edison and
>have rediscovered by your own effort the way of making french bread<g>
>instead of the electric bulb..
>I hope you are happy now..
>Regarding pictures, well I am not that shallow person to present
>my achievements so that most people will believe me..

Roy, that's an evasion of the reasonable request to back up your accusations of
plagiarism, deception and dishonesty.

<snip>

Dick Adams

"Roy Basan" > concluded message =
om
with:

> ... seeing what I can do to help solve a problem to a particular
> bakery situation will completely erase their doubts.

Well, Roy, the particular bakery situation which exists in most
home bakeries is that there is not much bakery equipment. In
particular, the ovens are very simple, as compared to commercial
bakery ovens.

So how much can you help solve that problem? Do you have any
experience with home ovens?

I'd guess that it is more difficult to turn out a good and attractive
loaf using a home oven than it is for the commercial baker in his
well-equipped bakery.

If you would every like to try baking sourdough bread in a home
oven, some of us might be able to offer you some help.

---
DickA

Roy Basan

pamnone (Wcsjohn) wrote in message >...
> >> Roy,
> >>
> >> If you choose to call me a liar, that's fine. I don't really care.
> >> However, it would go a long way to bolster your own credibility if you were
> >> to post even a single photo of one of your own breads. People on this
> >> newsgroup would then have a hard time dismissing your comments so easily.
> >>

> >Steve directly I do not call you a liar but your claim is so
> >unbelievable.
> >Alright I believe you , you are the reincarnation of Thomas Edison and
> >have rediscovered by your own effort the way of making french bread<g>
> >instead of the electric bulb..
> >I hope you are happy now..
> >Regarding pictures, well I am not that shallow person to present
> >my achievements so that most people will believe me..

> Roy, that's an evasion of the reasonable request to back up your accusations of
> plagiarism, deception and dishonesty.

John, I am not an evasive person but it is just my character to be
rather low key.
Regarding your claim or plagiarism,deception and dishonesty its you
own opinion but those things have happened actually as done by people
who are inept, insecure and have frail ego and craves for attention
from their peer.
Just think of a few bakerry trainee who want to impress their peers
and tutors will go to the extreme of showing false proof and
fabricating results and hide the defective item they have made for
the assessment of their skills.
It is just those three negative traits that you mentioned is
ubiquitous in all aspects of life including bakery trade work..
Why not its possible to happen here in this NG.
If It can happen in the profession why it would not possibly occur in
other areas of life but I do not blame anybody to be doing such but
it leaves a question h ow anybody can gain what we call already a
stage of competence in a certain work without even a professonal
training when the norm is you should learn that by instruction from
somebody qualifed in such practice.
If someone insist that he made it by his own efforts with no outside
help that raises quite a lot of eyebrows in that particular
trade.and nobody in that crowd will be inclined to believe in such
claim.
What complicates the matterr farther is if such item was made in an
advese condition( such as the different condition of the home baking)
as compared to institutional baking knowing also the fact the home
ovens are not considered as good baking instruments as the
insitutional ones.
Look you have made french stick but with all your effort did you ever
reach the same level of appearance and competence as the common
commercial specimen?

Again is somebody who is devoid of training will be able to achieve
such feat that is a miracle. But miracle do not exist.
That has been the persistent question raised by home bakers to
institutional bakers who want to try to duplicate the appearance of
the bread they see in shops..
The answer from the shop baker will likely be good traiining coupled
with dedicated practice using a good equipments .The recipe can be
the same but the result will usually different. usually when made in
different environment. and the great disparatity of competence.
And it requires consumate skill as well.And that skill can come only
from proper training. not by guesswork..
Meanwiile a pofessional baker/ still can make a better bread at
home( almost alike to the commericial items( but never an untrained
person).
because he can easily transfer the quality of his work to the home
setting.and know in detail how to adapt the situation in a different
condition..
Therefore the bottom line is if you can present a satisfactory loaf
which is similar to the commericially made one; you certainly
undergone a good training and work experience from the industry never
by sheer luck and trial and error practice.
If you still insist that you can do it without outside help you can
be some kind of a genius or possibly as claimed by New AGe groups as
the possible reincarnation of a highly competent person with a self
taught background,
And Thomas Edison is a good example. Uneducated but a genius of the
highest level. in creating things.
Roy
Ed Bechtel

Kenneth and Steve,

I have been watching your dialogue with Roy in utter amazement. I swear it
comes directly from The Holy Grail.

ARTHUR (Kenneth):
Now look here, my good man--
FRENCH GUARD (Roy):
I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper!
I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father
smelt of elderberries!
GALAHAD (Steve):
Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
FRENCH GUARD (Roy):
No. Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time-a!

Asking Roy to actually describe the holy grail of bread by constructing
sentences that have verbs, nouns, and more importantly, adverbs and adjectives,
is not working. You've been taunted by Roy several times already.

Ed Bechtel

PS - I only meant this as an humorous intermission to the regular thread.

Ed
Dick Adams

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message =
om...

> ... I am not an evasive person but it is just my character to be
> rather low key.

Your character seems to be to be verbose at the expense of being
informative.

> ... Regarding your claim or plagiarism, deception and dishonesty ...

I would not use such terms. There is a "B" word that says it all.

I do not know why you, and Kenneth, are so adverse to presenting
photographs to substantiate your claims and to elucidate the information
and advice you sometimes offer.

It is said that a picture is worth 1000 words. That number, to me
seems conservative.

For instance, in this vein, a picture of what you think a baguette =
should
look like -- even one from a magazine, text book, or web page, if so=20
qualified, might be helpful.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com

Steve B

Time to start catapulting the cattle? :>)

- Steve Brandt

"Ed Bechtel" > wrote in message
> Kenneth and Steve,
>
> I have been watching your dialogue with Roy in utter amazement. I swear

it
> comes directly from The Holy Grail.

Dusty

Eeeuuwwwww! Looks like I'm gonna hafta dig out my sourdough hamburger bun
recipes...(:-o)! Grinder anyone?

Dusty
San Jose, Ca.
--
Remove STORE to reply
"Steve B" > wrote in message
newsoXCc.153236$3x.98159@attbi_s54...
> Time to start catapulting the cattle? :>)
>
> - Steve Brandt

Ed Bechtel

Run away run away!

Ed Bechtel
I gotta go camping now - back in a couple of days. Hope this post does not get
threadjacked (again) and turn into a Grail post.
Wcsjohn

>> Roy, that's an evasion of the reasonable request to back up your

>accusations of
>> plagiarism, deception and dishonesty.

>John, I am not an evasive person but it is just my character to be
>rather low key.
>Regarding your claim or plagiarism,deception and dishonesty its you
>own opinion but those things have happened actually as done by people
>who are inept, insecure and have frail ego and craves for attention
>from their peer.

The reasons for plagiarism et al. are irrelevant.

You have made an allegation of dishonesty in a public forum.

You need to back that up.

You haven't done so.

John

<snip of true but irrelevant text about dihonesty>
Ulrike Westphal

"Ed Bechtel" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Run away run away!
>
> Ed Bechtel
> I gotta go camping now - back in a couple of days. Hope this post does not

get
> threadjacked (again) and turn into a Grail post.

Have fun!!
Ulrike

Is there a standard for an amount of levain to dough Dee Randall Sourdough 9 18-07-2008 08:59 AM
What to do with 5-6 lbs. of leftover liquid levain Dee Randall Sourdough 7 11-07-2008 02:23 PM
5th day into making Leader's liquid levain Dee Dee Sourdough 2 06-07-2008 05:53 PM
Levain Shaun Ginsbourg Sourdough 15 24-06-2006 06:09 PM
Need some help with chef/levain/starter. Samartha Sourdough 15 25-07-2004 05:00 PM