Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default What to do with 5-6 lbs. of leftover liquid levain

My first time making sourdough liquid levain.

Local Breads, Dan Leader's recipe keeps adding flour and water for about 10
days, which I've done. He doesn't take any levain out when he adds.

Right now I have (approx) 40 oz. flour and 53 oz. water. At the end of
the 10 days, he says to save 50 g.

But -- is there anyway at all to use this 5-6 lbs. of waste product?

Thanks.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:30:47 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>My first time making sourdough liquid levain.
>
>Local Breads, Dan Leader's recipe keeps adding flour and water for about 10
>days, which I've done. He doesn't take any levain out when he adds.
>
>Right now I have (approx) 40 oz. flour and 53 oz. water. At the end of
>the 10 days, he says to save 50 g.
>

>But -- is there anyway at all to use this 5-6 lbs. of waste product?
>

>Thanks.
>Dee

Hi Dee,

You have stumbled into but one of the reasons Leader's
methods are suspect.

Also remember that more than half of your "waste" product is
water.

I would suggest you toss it out, and continue the process
(if you care to) with a small amount of flour and water. You
would get exactly the same results were you to use a quarter
cup, or gallons.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:30:47 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>>My first time making sourdough liquid levain.
>>
>>Local Breads, Dan Leader's recipe keeps adding flour and water for about
>>10
>>days, which I've done. He doesn't take any levain out when he adds.
>>
>>Right now I have (approx) 40 oz. flour and 53 oz. water. At the end of
>>the 10 days, he says to save 50 g.
>>

>>But -- is there anyway at all to use this 5-6 lbs. of waste product?
>>

>>Thanks.
>>Dee
>>

> Hi Dee,
>
> You have stumbled into but one of the reasons Leader's
> methods are suspect.
>
> Also remember that more than half of your "waste" product is
> water.
>
> I would suggest you toss it out, and continue the process
> (if you care to) with a small amount of flour and water. You
> would get exactly the same results were you to use a quarter
> cup, or gallons.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth

Thanks.
OK, I'll be saving the 50g to refrigerate, and use as the levain to refresh
later, using first in his 'old world baguette' recipe, p. 85.

I was reading 'the fresh loaf' site/blog last night about Leader's book
and the mistakes in it. One person had contacted him about some mistakes
and there were numerous emails there regarding this. Discussed: if an
errata (sp?) were to be published, or how to let persons who had already
purchased the book know of the corrections. I've looked in my "history"
record in my computer, but I do not see the direct url to this discussion
for reference to include here.

P.S. I made 2 of Leader's liquid levain recipes (just in case one didn't
take; one with white, and the other with stone-ground white. :-)
They certainly smell different-ly.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

The fresh loaf thread you were rfering to was
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/409...s-local-breads .
"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Kenneth" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:30:47 -0400, "Dee Randall"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>My first time making sourdough liquid levain.
>>>
>>>Local Breads, Dan Leader's recipe keeps adding flour and water for about
>>>10
>>>days, which I've done. He doesn't take any levain out when he adds.
>>>
>>>Right now I have (approx) 40 oz. flour and 53 oz. water. At the end of
>>>the 10 days, he says to save 50 g.
>>>

>>>But -- is there anyway at all to use this 5-6 lbs. of waste product?
>>>

>>>Thanks.
>>>Dee
>>>

>> Hi Dee,
>>
>> You have stumbled into but one of the reasons Leader's
>> methods are suspect.
>>
>> Also remember that more than half of your "waste" product is
>> water.
>>
>> I would suggest you toss it out, and continue the process
>> (if you care to) with a small amount of flour and water. You
>> would get exactly the same results were you to use a quarter
>> cup, or gallons.
>>
>> All the best,
>> --
>> Kenneth
>>

> Thanks.
> OK, I'll be saving the 50g to refrigerate, and use as the levain to
> refresh later, using first in his 'old world baguette' recipe, p. 85.
>
> I was reading 'the fresh loaf' site/blog last night about Leader's book
> and the mistakes in it. One person had contacted him about some mistakes
> and there were numerous emails there regarding this. Discussed: if an
> errata (sp?) were to be published, or how to let persons who had already
> purchased the book know of the corrections. I've looked in my "history"
> record in my computer, but I do not see the direct url to this discussion
> for reference to include here.
>
> P.S. I made 2 of Leader's liquid levain recipes (just in case one didn't
> take; one with white, and the other with stone-ground white. :-)
> They certainly smell different-ly.
>
> Dee

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

That reminds me, my friend told me his dog has no nose, I asked 'How
does he smell?', 'Terrible'! he replied.

Seriously, if you ever decide to make another starter don't ever work
with more than 50g/2 oz, each time you feed it, throw two thirds away
and make it up to 50g again with fresh flour and water. You'll waste
so much less flour, not to mention space on your counter. Like Kenneth
said, how much starter you have makes no difference to the critters in
it. It's the concentration of them that's important, you could as
easily work with a teaspoon of starter if it were practical.

Jim

On 11 Jul, 03:11, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> Thanks.
> OK, I'll be saving the 50g to refrigerate, and use as the levain to refresh
> later, *using first in his 'old world baguette' recipe, p. 85.

> P.S. *I made 2 of Leader's liquid levain recipes (just in case one didn't
> take; one with white, and the other with stone-ground white. * :-)
> They certainly smell different-ly.
>
> Dee- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"anon" > wrote in message
> The fresh loaf thread you were rfering to was
> http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/409...s-local-breads
> .

Yes, that's it. Thanks.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message ...

> ... is there anyway at all to use this 5-6 lbs. of waste product?

You could have sourdough pancakes every day for a few weeks.

If you happen to live in a log cabin, you can use old sourdough for
chinking (filling the spaces between the logs).

After that, you might try another way. For instance:

http://lumpymuffins.home.comcast.net...h/NoWaste.html

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/ca...galCarlos.html

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/dickpics/starter.html

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> ... is there anyway at all to use this 5-6 lbs. of waste product?

You could have sourdough pancakes every day for a few weeks.

If you happen to live in a log cabin, you can use old sourdough for
chinking (filling the spaces between the logs).

After that, you might try another way. For instance:

http://lumpymuffins.home.comcast.net...h/NoWaste.html

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/ca...galCarlos.html

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/dickpics/starter.html

--
Dicky

Thank you, Dicky, for taking the time to point out these web pages that
apply to my plea/request.
My appreciation!
Dee

Is there a standard for an amount of levain to dough Dee Randall Sourdough 9 18-07-2008 08:59 AM
5th day into making Leader's liquid levain Dee Dee Sourdough 2 06-07-2008 05:53 PM
Levain Shaun Ginsbourg Sourdough 15 24-06-2006 06:09 PM
Need some help with chef/levain/starter. Samartha Sourdough 15 25-07-2004 05:00 PM
Baguette au levain Ulrike Westphal Sourdough 44 26-06-2004 12:59 PM