Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Does anyone have a good SD English Muffin recipe?

I have looked online and found quite a few SD English muffin recipes,
but most seem to be 'first tries' type posts from found recipes.

I am wondering if anyone here has a good recipe that they use and would
care to make public here or post a link to?

I have both a flour starter and rye starter.

Mike
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

This recipe worked great for me. I believe it's originally from King
Arthur Flour:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/324...nglish-muffins

I make mine with whole wheat flour and a whole wheat starter with the
following adjustments:

I use just 2 cups of flour;
I acidify all of it;
I add 2-3 Tbs more milk.

They're ridiculously easy to make, and very tasty. A great way to use up
any excess starter.

Here's some photos of the ones I made:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8...y/IMG_3177.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8...y/IMG_3180.jpg
--

Jeff Miller

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Jeff Miller wrote:

> Here's some photos of the ones I made:
>
> http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8...y/IMG_3177.jpg
> http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8...y/IMG_3180.jpg
> --
>
> Jeff Miller

Nice looking, thanks.

I had some active unbleached flour starter going so am trying them right
now. I am using a warmed oven for a faster than 8 hour rise and will
see how that works. I also like honey over sugar.

Mike
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Mike Romain wrote:
> I had some active unbleached flour starter going so am trying them right
> now. I am using a warmed oven for a faster than 8 hour rise and will
> see how that works. I also like honey over sugar

I used honey in the last batch I made (not the ones photographed) and
they were just as tasty. Hope they turn out well.
--
Jeff
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hello Mike & all;

Here's one I've used:
http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...ishMuffins.htm

Enjoy!

Dusty

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
g.com...
>I have looked online and found quite a few SD English muffin recipes, but
>most seem to be 'first tries' type posts from found recipes.
>
> I am wondering if anyone here has a good recipe that they use and would
> care to make public here or post a link to?
>
> I have both a flour starter and rye starter.
>
> Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Jeff Miller wrote:

> Mike Romain wrote:
>> I had some active unbleached flour starter going so am trying them right
>> now. I am using a warmed oven for a faster than 8 hour rise and will
>> see how that works. I also like honey over sugar
>>

> I used honey in the last batch I made (not the ones photographed) and
> they were just as tasty. Hope they turn out well.
> --
> Jeff

Oh Wow, those are 'really' good, Thanks!

My warm oven didn't help, you just can't hurry sourdough some days, so I
left it set overnight covered then added the honey, salt and soda.
(Humidity is real high here too which doesn't help rise times)

I poured the sticky dough (I also needed a couple extra TBSP milk for
the two cups of flour) onto flour and stretched and folded flour in
until I got what I like for texture (just dry enough to handle) and cut
3" circles. Let them rest for about an hour and buttered up the cast
iron fry pan.

Got a nice pan bounce too.

Here they a

http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3900987786

Forked: http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3900987710

Toasted: http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3900987666

Mike

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks, that is almost the same one as Jeff linked too and his worked
'really' well.

Mike

Dusty da baker wrote:
> Hello Mike & all;
>
> Here's one I've used:
> http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...ishMuffins.htm
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Dusty

English Muffin Bread Boron Elgar Sourdough 5 15-01-2009 01:32 AM
The English Muffin. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 13 02-03-2007 04:51 AM
seeking good blueberry muffin or loaf recipe pfoley General Cooking 8 11-09-2006 09:49 PM
English Muffin Pizza Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-06-2005 01:39 AM
English Muffin Bread 2 Tim Recipes 0 13-06-2005 01:27 PM