Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pressure Canner

Hi gang, first time posting here.

I have a question on pressure canners. I am planning to buy one and found that for the size I am after there seems to be two likely
candidates. One is the Presto 23 quart (~$80 USD) and the other is the All-American 21 quart (~$160USD). Is there any reason I
should spend twice the price on the All-American over the Presto? Are there others I should be considering?

--
Al Reid

Posted to rec.food.preserving

bart wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:01:36 -0400, "Al Reid"
> > wrote:
>

>>Hi gang, first time posting here.
>>
>>I have a question on pressure canners. I am planning to buy one and found that for the size I am after there seems to be two likely
>>candidates. One is the Presto 23 quart (~$80 USD) and the other is the All-American 21 quart (~$160USD). Is there any reason I
>>should spend twice the price on the All-American over the Presto? Are there others I should be considering?

> If I bought another pressure canner , I'd definately go for the
> All-American - no gaskets!
> My gasketed pressure canner always seems to initially hiss at the
> seals, plus it's hard to find replacement seals for alot of units
> after they become "obsolete" in X years.
> ..my 2 cents worth anyway.

My pressure canner is over 40 years old and I can still get any parts
for it that are needed, including gaskets. Of course it is a Presto but
carries the Harmony Maid plate of Sears. Just another opinion.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message ...
> bart wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:01:36 -0400, "Al Reid"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>Hi gang, first time posting here.
> >>
> >>I have a question on pressure canners. I am planning to buy one and found that for the size I am after there seems to be two

likely
> >>candidates. One is the Presto 23 quart (~$80 USD) and the other is the All-American 21 quart (~$160USD). Is there any reason

> >>should spend twice the price on the All-American over the Presto? Are there others I should be considering?

> > If I bought another pressure canner , I'd definately go for the
> > All-American - no gaskets!
> > My gasketed pressure canner always seems to initially hiss at the
> > seals, plus it's hard to find replacement seals for alot of units
> > after they become "obsolete" in X years.
> > ..my 2 cents worth anyway.

> My pressure canner is over 40 years old and I can still get any parts
> for it that are needed, including gaskets. Of course it is a Presto but
> carries the Harmony Maid plate of Sears. Just another opinion.
>
> George

I guess if I was concerned about parts I could order a few gaskets now and have them around if I need them. Are there any other
advantages/disadvantages of one over the other, besides price. I really don't care if I need to spend the extra bucks if I know I'm
getting something for it.

--
Al Reid

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Al Reid wrote:
> Hi gang, first time posting here.
>
> I have a question on pressure canners. I am planning to buy one and found that for the size I am after there seems to be two likely
> candidates. One is the Presto 23 quart (~$80 USD) and the other is the All-American 21 quart (~$160USD). Is there any reason I
> should spend twice the price on the All-American over the Presto? Are there others I should be considering?

The All American weights twice as much and takes up more room in the
cabinet. It's built like a tank and will last forever. IIRC, they also
have a calibrated weighted jiggler that they borrowed from Mirro, so you
can either use the juggler to regulate the pressure, or set the jiggler
to 15 and watch the dial gauge to regulate the pressure yourself -- best
of both worlds. (I may be wrong about the Mirro jiggler)

The Presto is light weight (when it's empty), and has a not-calibrated
jiggler that goes at 15+ pounds, so you have to use the dial gauge. It
has rubber gaskets, but my Mirro rubber gaskets are over 20 years old
without replacing them yet [knock on wood] so I don't think rubber
gaskets are a big deal.

They are both good. Buy the one you like.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Al Reid wrote:
> > Hi gang, first time posting here.
> >
> > I have a question on pressure canners. I am planning to buy one and found
> > that for the size I am after there seems to be two likely
> > candidates. One is the Presto 23 quart (~$80 USD) and the other is the
> > All-American 21 quart (~$160USD). Is there any reason I
> > should spend twice the price on the All-American over the Presto? Are
> > there others I should be considering?
> >

> The All American weights twice as much and takes up more room in the
> cabinet. It's built like a tank and will last forever. IIRC, they also
> have a calibrated weighted jiggler that they borrowed from Mirro, so you
> can either use the juggler to regulate the pressure, or set the jiggler
> to 15 and watch the dial gauge to regulate the pressure yourself -- best
> of both worlds. (I may be wrong about the Mirro jiggler)
>
> The Presto is light weight (when it's empty), and has a not-calibrated
> jiggler that goes at 15+ pounds, so you have to use the dial gauge. It
> has rubber gaskets, but my Mirro rubber gaskets are over 20 years old
> without replacing them yet [knock on wood] so I don't think rubber
> gaskets are a big deal.
>
> They are both good. Buy the one you like.
>
> Bob

I'm going to throw in my nickel's worth here and recommend that he buy
the one that fits his stove best! It shouldn't have more than an inch
of overhang on an electric burner. My extension division class said so
(citing a source in case That Guy lurks here).

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Al Reid" > wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> > bart wrote:
> > > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:01:36 -0400, "Al Reid"

> likely

> > > If I bought another pressure canner , I'd definately go for the
> > > All-American - no gaskets! My gasketed pressure canner always
> > > seems to initially hiss at the seals, plus it's hard to find
> > > replacement seals for alot of units after they become "obsolete"
> > > in X years. ..my 2 cents worth anyway.

> > My pressure canner is over 40 years old and I can still get any parts
> > for it that are needed, including gaskets. Of course it is a Presto but
> > carries the Harmony Maid plate of Sears. Just another opinion.
> >
> > George
> >

> I guess if I was concerned about parts I could order a few gaskets
> now and have them around if I need them. Are there any other
> advantages/disadvantages of one over the other, besides price. I
> really don't care if I need to spend the extra bucks if I know I'm
> getting something for it.

> --
> Al Reid

Make sure it's not too big for the burner you're going to use it on.
What kind of a stove will you use, Al? Gas? Electric? Coil? Smooth
top? If the latter, see what the mfgr has to say about using a pressure
canner on it.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
Estate
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > Al Reid wrote:
> > > Hi gang, first time posting here.
> > >
> > > I have a question on pressure canners. I am planning to buy one and found
> > > that for the size I am after there seems to be two likely
> > > candidates. One is the Presto 23 quart (~$80 USD) and the other is the
> > > All-American 21 quart (~$160USD). Is there any reason I
> > > should spend twice the price on the All-American over the Presto? Are
> > > there others I should be considering?
> > >

> > The All American weights twice as much and takes up more room in the
> > cabinet. It's built like a tank and will last forever. IIRC, they also
> > have a calibrated weighted jiggler that they borrowed from Mirro, so you
> > can either use the juggler to regulate the pressure, or set the jiggler
> > to 15 and watch the dial gauge to regulate the pressure yourself -- best
> > of both worlds. (I may be wrong about the Mirro jiggler)
> >
> > The Presto is light weight (when it's empty), and has a not-calibrated
> > jiggler that goes at 15+ pounds, so you have to use the dial gauge. It
> > has rubber gaskets, but my Mirro rubber gaskets are over 20 years old
> > without replacing them yet [knock on wood] so I don't think rubber
> > gaskets are a big deal.
> >
> > They are both good. Buy the one you like.
> >
> > Bob

> I'm going to throw in my nickel's worth here and recommend that he buy
> the one that fits his stove best! It shouldn't have more than an inch
> of overhang on an electric burner. My extension division class said so
> (citing a source in case That Guy lurks here).
>
> --
> -Barb
> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
> Estate
> "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last forever and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's an issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for the non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.

Thanks for the input.

---
Al Reid

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Al Reid" > wrote:

> > likely

> > > My pressure canner is over 40 years old and I can still get any parts
> > > for it that are needed, including gaskets. Of course it is a Presto but
> > > carries the Harmony Maid plate of Sears. Just another opinion.
> > >
> > > George
> > >

> > I guess if I was concerned about parts I could order a few gaskets
> > now and have them around if I need them. Are there any other
> > advantages/disadvantages of one over the other, besides price. I
> > really don't care if I need to spend the extra bucks if I know I'm
> > getting something for it.

> > --
> > Al Reid

> Make sure it's not too big for the burner you're going to use it on.
> What kind of a stove will you use, Al? Gas? Electric? Coil? Smooth
> top? If the latter, see what the mfgr has to say about using a pressure
> canner on it.
> --
> -Barb
> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
> Estate
> "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

I cook with nothing but gas.

--
Al Reid

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Al Reid" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > I'm going to throw in my nickel's worth here and recommend that he buy
> > the one that fits his stove best! It shouldn't have more than an inch
> > of overhang on an electric burner. My extension division class said so
> > (citing a source in case That Guy lurks here).
> > --
> > -Barb

> I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last forever
> and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
> tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's an
> issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
> 20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for the
> non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
> hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.

I'm guessing it'll be the first and last for your grandkids, Al. :-)
Good choice.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
Estate
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Al Reid" > wrote in message
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> zxcvbob > wrote:

>> > The All American weights twice as much and takes up more room in the
>> > cabinet. It's built like a tank and will last forever. IIRC, they
>> > also
>> > have a calibrated weighted jiggler that they borrowed from Mirro, so
>> > you
>> > can either use the juggler to regulate the pressure, or set the jiggler
>> > to 15 and watch the dial gauge to regulate the pressure yourself --
>> > best
>> > of both worlds. (I may be wrong about the Mirro jiggler)
>> >
>> > The Presto is light weight (when it's empty), and has a not-calibrated
>> > jiggler that goes at 15+ pounds, so you have to use the dial gauge. It
>> > has rubber gaskets, but my Mirro rubber gaskets are over 20 years old
>> > without replacing them yet [knock on wood] so I don't think rubber
>> > gaskets are a big deal.
>> >
>> > They are both good. Buy the one you like.
>> >
>> > Bob

>> I'm going to throw in my nickel's worth here and recommend that he buy
>> the one that fits his stove best! It shouldn't have more than an inch
>> of overhang on an electric burner. My extension division class said so
>> (citing a source in case That Guy lurks here).
>>
>> --
>> -Barb
>> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
>> Estate
>> "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

> I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last forever
> and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
> tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's an
> issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
> 20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for
> the non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
> hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> ---
> Al Reid

I would love to raid your freezer!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Alan S" > wrote in message .com...

> >> "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

> > I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last forever
> > and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
> > tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's an
> > issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
> > 20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for
> > the non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
> > hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> >
> > ---
> > Al Reid
> >

> I would love to raid your freezer!

You may want to wait a few weeks as I'm just starting to put away this year's crop.

--
Al Reid

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Al Reid" > wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>>I'm going to throw in my nickel's worth here and recommend that he buy
>>>the one that fits his stove best! It shouldn't have more than an inch
>>>of overhang on an electric burner. My extension division class said so
>>>(citing a source in case That Guy lurks here).
>>>--
>>>-Barb

>>I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last forever
>>and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
>>tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's an
>>issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
>>20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for the
>>non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
>>hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.

> I'm guessing it'll be the first and last for your grandkids, Al. :-)
> Good choice.
>
>>Thanks for the input.
>>---
>>Al Reid

Shucks, that's true of about any pressure canner. I know ours is well
over 40 years old because I remember buying it at Mr. Sears and Mr.
Roebucks store. Long as I keep getting the pressure gauge tested and
regulated each year it will probably work for my greatgrandchildren. <VBG>

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Al Reid" > wrote in message

> I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last forever
> and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
> tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's an
> issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
> 20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for
> the non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
> hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.

Santa brought me the All-American for Christmas 2004. I helped Santa out by
giving him the link to the model I wanted and the store that had the best
price.

At any rate, I love it.

BTW I asked the folks at UGA if I need to get my All-American recalibrated.
If I understood their answer (and I'm not 100% sure) I don't need to. My
canner uses a jiggler and they said that dial-gauge canners are the ones
that should be calibrated.

Mine has a gauge on it, too -- but following the instructions that came with
it, I use the jiggler to set the pressure, adjusting the flame until the
jiggler jiggles 1-4 times per minute. I use the gauge only to tell whether
the pressure is low enough to safely remove the canner lid.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default All American Pressure Canner/Cooker

Anny Middon wrote:
> "Al Reid" > wrote in message
>> I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last forever
>> and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
>> tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's an
>> issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
>> 20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for
>> the non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
>> hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.
>>

> Santa brought me the All-American for Christmas 2004. I helped Santa out by
> giving him the link to the model I wanted and the store that had the best
> price.
>
> At any rate, I love it.
>
> BTW I asked the folks at UGA if I need to get my All-American recalibrated.
> If I understood their answer (and I'm not 100% sure) I don't need to. My
> canner uses a jiggler and they said that dial-gauge canners are the ones
> that should be calibrated.
>
> Mine has a gauge on it, too -- but following the instructions that came with
> it, I use the jiggler to set the pressure, adjusting the flame until the
> jiggler jiggles 1-4 times per minute. I use the gauge only to tell whether
> the pressure is low enough to safely remove the canner lid.
>
> Anny

George is gonna cringe when he reads this.

You can use the jiggler to calibrate the dial gauge if you have both.
Set the jiggler on '10', and when it starts jiggling see what the gauge
says. If it says '9', you know the guage is off by one degree. You'd
need to add one to whatever the dial said to get the real pressure (if
it says 10, the pressure is really 11) -- or you can turn the adjusting
screw until it read '10' if it's adjustable.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> "Al Reid" > wrote in message
> >
> > I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last forever
> > and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
> > tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's an
> > issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
> > 20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for
> > the non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
> > hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.
> >

> Santa brought me the All-American for Christmas 2004. I helped Santa out by
> giving him the link to the model I wanted and the store that had the best
> price.
>
> At any rate, I love it.
>
> BTW I asked the folks at UGA if I need to get my All-American recalibrated.
> If I understood their answer (and I'm not 100% sure) I don't need to. My
> canner uses a jiggler and they said that dial-gauge canners are the ones
> that should be calibrated.

Yup. The jigglers can't get whacked out of correct.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
Estate

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Alan S" > wrote in message
.com...

> "Al Reid" > wrote in message
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

and

is

jiggler

not-calibrated

It

> >> I'm going to throw in my nickel's worth here and recommend that he buy
> >> the one that fits his stove best! It shouldn't have more than an inch
> >> of overhang on an electric burner. My extension division class said so
> >> (citing a source in case That Guy lurks here).
> >>
> >> --
> >> -Barb
> >> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
> >> Estate
> >> "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

> > I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last

forever
> > and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
> > tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's

an
> > issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
> > 20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for
> > the non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
> > hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> >
> > ---
> > Al Reid
> >

> I would love to raid your freezer!

get in line!!!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "Alan S" > wrote in message
> .com...

> and

> is

> jiggler

> not-calibrated

> It

> > > I decided to order the All-American. It looks like it should last

> forever
> > > and I plan to use it forever (well, perhaps about 30
> > > tears if I live that long). I have a gas range so I don't think that's

> an
> > > issue. I've been canning using the BWB method for over
> > > 20 years but I grow so much these days that run out of freezer space for
> > > the non acidic items (beans, corn, creamed corn, etc.). I
> > > hope this will be my first and last pressure canner.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the input.
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Al Reid
> > >

> > I would love to raid your freezer!
> >

> get in line!!!
>
> Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi, this is my first posting, so I hope you can help.

I live in England & I'm after an All American Canner, can anyone let
me have their details. Every time I do an internet search all I get is
stores that only ship inside the USA & Canada. I need to talk to them
directly to see if they have a dealer in Europe.
Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, this is my first posting, so I hope you can help.
>
> I live in England & I'm after an All American Canner, can anyone let
> me have their details. Every time I do an internet search all I get is
> stores that only ship inside the USA & Canada. I need to talk to them
> directly to see if they have a dealer in Europe.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Steve.

Hi, Steve--

Their website is www.wafco.com. Click on Consumer Products to see their
line of canners. Contact info:

Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry
P.O. Box 246 . 838 South 16th Street
Manitowoc, Wisconsin 54221-0246 U.S.A.

(920) 682-8286 Voice
(920) 682-7285 Fax

HTH
Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Al Reid" > wrote in message ...
> Hi gang, first time posting here.
>
> I have a question on pressure canners. I am planning to buy one and found that for the size I am after there seems to be two

likely
> candidates. One is the Presto 23 quart (~$80 USD) and the other is the All-American 21 quart (~$160USD). Is there any reason I
> should spend twice the price on the All-American over the Presto? Are there others I should be considering?
>
> --
> Al Reid

Update: My All-American 21 quart pressure canner arrived yesterday. Even though I froze 5 gallons of beans on Sunday, I was able
to harvest enough beans to do 7 pints in the new canner. All went smooth until it was time to open the lid. Man was that thing
hard to get off. Perhaps I over tightened it. Next tile I'll start fairly loose and only tighten enough to make sure no steam is
leaking around the lid.

In about 7 - 10 days my first planting of corn should be ready to pick. Some will be frozen and the rest will be made into creamed
corn (the real reason I bought the canner).

--
Al Reid