Jim Kueneman

Default Self contained Pressure Canner

Does anyone know of a company that makes self contained pressure
canners. What I mean is canners that have built in heating elements.
Our stove has a glass cooktop and it is not recommended to use canners
on it, my guess is due to the weight.

Thanks,

--
Jim

Posted with XanaNews 1.15.8.4
Ol' Hippie

We use an LP burning cooker like you use for frying turkey, works great.

Deb

"Jim Kueneman" > wrote in message
link.net...

> Does anyone know of a company that makes self contained pressure
> canners. What I mean is canners that have built in heating

elements.
> Our stove has a glass cooktop and it is not recommended to use

canners
> on it, my guess is due to the weight.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Jim
>
> Posted with XanaNews 1.15.8.4

I'd love to have a self contained pressure canner too, but for a
different reason. An electric stove varies so much it is a real
pain to try to keep the pressure within a few pounds. Propane is
not an option due to space requirements.

What brand is your stove? My (Kenmore) glass flat top stove doesn't
say anything in the direction booklet about not using a canner.
This is my second one and the first didn't either. It just cautions
against using the wrong size pans - nothing over an inch bigger than
the marking for the element. My canner just fits.

I didn't get out the scale, but I think the full pressure canner
weighed a lot less than the full water bath. Water weighs about 8
pounds a gallon.

Deb
--
(in Oregon, the pacific northWET) ;>

pickle

"Jim Kueneman" > wrote in message
link.net...

> Does anyone know of a company that makes self contained pressure
> canners. What I mean is canners that have built in heating elements.
> Our stove has a glass cooktop and it is not recommended to use canners
> on it, my guess is due to the weight.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Jim
>
> Posted with XanaNews 1.15.8.4

Hi !!

Why not just purchase a cheap hot plate?

Jim Kueneman

Hi,

> I'd love to have a self contained pressure canner too, but for a
> different reason. An electric stove varies so much it is a real
> pain to try to keep the pressure within a few pounds. Propane is
> not an option due to space requirements.

Interesting. We recently moved back in to the country after many years
of suburbia and now want to start growing and canning our own food
since we are 40 miles from the nearest grocery store. When I was
growing up my mother and grandmother always had gardens and canned but
we have never done it before. They always use to can by boiling but
nowadays I see what they were doing was not exactly safe.

I had not thought about the pressure regulation aspect of it. I know
my mother said she hated her pressure canner (circa 1970'ish) so maybe
that was why. What is needed is a self contained system that monitors
the pressure and adjusts the temperature....

> What brand is your stove? My (Kenmore) glass flat top stove doesn't
> say anything in the direction booklet about not using a canner.

It is actually the canners (boiling) that I have looked at that say
this.

> This is my second one and the first didn't either. It just cautions
> against using the wrong size pans - nothing over an inch bigger than
> the marking for the element. My canner just fits.

How big is it? Our elements are not that large. I envisioned only one
one cooking event for a days worth of preparation, i.e. a *big* canner
<G>.

> I didn't get out the scale, but I think the full pressure canner
> weighed a lot less than the full water bath. Water weighs about 8
> pounds a gallon.

That is true. Again I did not think about that. The pressure canner
may be OK for the weight. I was just speculating about the weight
being the cause of the boiling pot stating is should not be used on a
glass top.

Thanks,

--
Jim

Posted with XanaNews 1.15.8.4

Ol' Hippie

To clarify;
We use the burner and a pressure cooker.Not a turkey pot.

Melba's Jammin'

In article .net>,
"Jim Kueneman" > wrote:

> Does anyone know of a company that makes self contained pressure
> canners. What I mean is canners that have built in heating elements.
> Our stove has a glass cooktop and it is not recommended to use canners
> on it, my guess is due to the weight.
>
> Thanks,

Try Weck. Not sure about it, but they might.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail;
THEMOM1

As far as i know, they make and electric canner, but not pressure.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

<>< ><>
www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/..._WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/188.4/145

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article .net>,
> "Jim Kueneman" > wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a company that makes self contained pressure
> > canners. What I mean is canners that have built in heating elements.
> > Our stove has a glass cooktop and it is not recommended to use canners
> > on it, my guess is due to the weight.
> >
> > Thanks,

> Try Weck. Not sure about it, but they might.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
> A good friend will come and bail you out of jail;
> a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

Jim Kueneman

Hi,

> Try Weck. Not sure about it, but they might.

Close, but these don't appear to be pressure canners

Thanks,
--
Jim

Posted with XanaNews 1.15.8.4

BCHUKB

Yes Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry (All American) makes one called Stericlave. I
have also seen some made by retort makers that were semi-small but big bucks
(Dixie Canner comes to mind) Nasco in Wisconsin sells Stericlaves (800)558-9595
or(209)545-1600
Deb

"Jim Kueneman" > wrote in message
news

> It is actually the canners (boiling) that I have looked at that
say
> this.

Most of the canners (both BWB and pressure) don't have a flat
bottom. Without the flat bottom you get very little contact with
the heat element and the pot will 'dance' across the stovetop. Not
fun to watch a fully loaded BWB dance. ;>

> > This is my second one and the first didn't either. It just

cautions
> > against using the wrong size pans - nothing over an inch bigger

than
> > the marking for the element. My canner just fits.

> How big is it? Our elements are not that large. I envisioned

only one
> one cooking event for a days worth of preparation, i.e. a *big*

canner
> <G>.

This one is great. I have 2 large burners on the front. Actually
one is a dual size and depending on which way I turn the control it
is either a 6" or 9.5" heat surface. Theo old stove had one large
in the front and one in the back. The back one was practically
unusable because a large pot would sit in front of the control
knobs.

My pressure canner is a Presto - I'm pretty sure. The flat spot on
the bottom is no larger than 11.5" so it fits the burner with no
more than 1" overhang. It holds 7 quart or 18-20 pint jars. That's
about enough food to prep at a time, so I wouldn't want anything
bigger. Gotta watch the height of the bigger canners. You need to
lift the jar out of the pot... straight up... using lifter tongs...
before you hit the overrange fan/light. That means a couple of feet
between the top of the canner and the fan/light housing.

My BWB is a nameless pot I picked up at a garage sale. It is
aluminum (I think) and doesn't rust like the enamel one I chipped a
few years ago. It holds 7 quart or 8-9 pint jars. And it is flat
on the bottom. The enamel one was becoming less flat every year.

Deb
--
(in Oregon, the pacific northWET) ;>

George Shirley

Not necessarily so, both my BWB and pressure canners have flat bottoms
and fit the large electric range eye adequately. The BWB is a new
aluminum one and the pressure canner is a 40 year old Sears 18 quart
job. I've never seen one dance at all.

George

Deb wrote:

> "Jim Kueneman" > wrote in message
> news >
>>It is actually the canners (boiling) that I have looked at that

> say
>
>>this.
>>

> Most of the canners (both BWB and pressure) don't have a flat
> bottom. Without the flat bottom you get very little contact with
> the heat element and the pot will 'dance' across the stovetop. Not
> fun to watch a fully loaded BWB dance. ;>
>

>>>This is my second one and the first didn't either. It just

> cautions
>
>>>against using the wrong size pans - nothing over an inch bigger

> than
>
>>>the marking for the element. My canner just fits.

>>How big is it? Our elements are not that large. I envisioned

> only one
>
>>one cooking event for a days worth of preparation, i.e. a *big*

> canner
>
>><G>.
>>

> This one is great. I have 2 large burners on the front. Actually
> one is a dual size and depending on which way I turn the control it
> is either a 6" or 9.5" heat surface. Theo old stove had one large
> in the front and one in the back. The back one was practically
> unusable because a large pot would sit in front of the control
> knobs.
>
> My pressure canner is a Presto - I'm pretty sure. The flat spot on
> the bottom is no larger than 11.5" so it fits the burner with no
> more than 1" overhang. It holds 7 quart or 18-20 pint jars. That's
> about enough food to prep at a time, so I wouldn't want anything
> bigger. Gotta watch the height of the bigger canners. You need to
> lift the jar out of the pot... straight up... using lifter tongs...
> before you hit the overrange fan/light. That means a couple of feet
> between the top of the canner and the fan/light housing.
>
> My BWB is a nameless pot I picked up at a garage sale. It is
> aluminum (I think) and doesn't rust like the enamel one I chipped a
> few years ago. It holds 7 quart or 8-9 pint jars. And it is flat
> on the bottom. The enamel one was becoming less flat every year.
>
> Deb
> --
> (in Oregon, the pacific northWET) ;>

Melba's Jammin'

In article .net>,
"Jim Kueneman" > wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > Try Weck. Not sure about it, but they might.

> Close, but these don't appear to be pressure canners
>
> Thanks,

Sure. I know they do an electric waterbath thang; wasn't sure about an
electric pressure canner.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1/26/04
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail;
a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

Pressure Canner Suggestions Naomi Jordan Preserving 11 26-09-2011 08:15 PM
question about getting a new pressure canner Mark Daniel Ward Preserving 19 22-07-2009 02:34 PM
Pressure Canner Al Reid Preserving 20 26-07-2006 02:25 PM
New (to me) Pressure Canner Keith Warren Preserving 33 08-08-2005 07:55 PM
Pressure Canner Andrew Valiukas Preserving 16 12-12-2003 10:43 AM