Keith Warren

Default New (to me) Pressure Canner

I finally bit the bullet and bought my very own Pressure Canner. Answered an
ad in the paper and picked up a 23qt Presto, it has some age on it, but a
brand new seal, gauge, regulator, and safety valve have been installed. Also
came with a (as my family has always called'em) Can-Get'er-Out'ers, a Berry
Sieve, 7 brand new cases of pint and jelly jars, numerous lids, rings,
sure-jell and pickling spices and two filling funnels.

Been borrowing mom's for years, but this year the garden gnomes are in sync
and we both need it at the same time.

Now if it will just stop raining long enough to dry up a little so that I
can actually get in to the garden, without sinking to my knees....I'll put
it to good use.

Ripe and ready to can are Tomatoes, Jalapeno & Serrano Peppers, Colossal
Cow-Peas, Squash (Zucchini and Crookneck), Blackberries and Blueberries.

Anybody have any ideas on ways to put up Cherry and Grape Tomatoes? I'm
making salsa with the Better Boys, but I don't care for salsa with the skin
on and don't know of anything to do with the smaller varieties that would
turn out alright with the skin still intact except for strained juice.
Suggestions?

--
Keith Warren
NE Georgia Mountains

Dwayne

Go buy Ball's blue book for canning. You can get one in Wal-Mart for under
$7.00. If not, contact Ball on the internet and call them. They will send
you one. It tells you how to do all of that. I like to put my tomatoes in
quart jars, add a teaspoon of salt to each jar. Seal them and hot water
bath them for I think 30 minutes. No pressure needed.

Have fun. Dwayne

"Keith Warren" > wrote in message
>I finally bit the bullet and bought my very own Pressure Canner. Answered
>an
> ad in the paper and picked up a 23qt Presto, it has some age on it, but a
> brand new seal, gauge, regulator, and safety valve have been installed.
> Also
> came with a (as my family has always called'em) Can-Get'er-Out'ers, a
> Berry
> Sieve, 7 brand new cases of pint and jelly jars, numerous lids, rings,
> sure-jell and pickling spices and two filling funnels.
>
> Been borrowing mom's for years, but this year the garden gnomes are in
> sync
> and we both need it at the same time.
>
> Now if it will just stop raining long enough to dry up a little so that I
> can actually get in to the garden, without sinking to my knees....I'll put
> it to good use.
>
> Ripe and ready to can are Tomatoes, Jalapeno & Serrano Peppers, Colossal
> Cow-Peas, Squash (Zucchini and Crookneck), Blackberries and Blueberries.
>
> Anybody have any ideas on ways to put up Cherry and Grape Tomatoes? I'm
> making salsa with the Better Boys, but I don't care for salsa with the
> skin
> on and don't know of anything to do with the smaller varieties that would
> turn out alright with the skin still intact except for strained juice.
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Keith Warren
> NE Georgia Mountains

ellen wickberg

Dwayne wrote:
> Go buy Ball's blue book for canning. You can get one in Wal-Mart for under
> $7.00. If not, contact Ball on the internet and call them. They will send
> you one. It tells you how to do all of that. I like to put my tomatoes in
> quart jars, add a teaspoon of salt to each jar. Seal them and hot water
> bath them for I think 30 minutes. No pressure needed.
>
> Have fun. Dwayne
>

> "Keith Warren" > wrote in message
>
>>I finally bit the bullet and bought my very own Pressure Canner. Answered
>>an
>>ad in the paper and picked up a 23qt Presto, it has some age on it, but a
>>brand new seal, gauge, regulator, and safety valve have been installed.
>>Also
>>came with a (as my family has always called'em) Can-Get'er-Out'ers, a
>>Berry
>>Sieve, 7 brand new cases of pint and jelly jars, numerous lids, rings,
>>sure-jell and pickling spices and two filling funnels.
>>
>>Been borrowing mom's for years, but this year the garden gnomes are in
>>sync
>>and we both need it at the same time.
>>
>>Now if it will just stop raining long enough to dry up a little so that I
>>can actually get in to the garden, without sinking to my knees....I'll put
>>it to good use.
>>
>>Ripe and ready to can are Tomatoes, Jalapeno & Serrano Peppers, Colossal
>>Cow-Peas, Squash (Zucchini and Crookneck), Blackberries and Blueberries.
>>
>>Anybody have any ideas on ways to put up Cherry and Grape Tomatoes? I'm
>>making salsa with the Better Boys, but I don't care for salsa with the
>>skin
>>on and don't know of anything to do with the smaller varieties that would
>>turn out alright with the skin still intact except for strained juice.
>>Suggestions?
>>
>>--
>>Keith Warren
>>NE Georgia Mountains

I think that current recommendations call for adding acid ( usually
lemon juice) to each jar as well. The old fashioned tomatoes were
sufficiently acid, but many currently grown ones have less acid and are
not safe to can at BWB temp without that addition. Check with National
Center for Food Preservation at U of Georgia.
Ellen
Brian Mailman

ellen wickberg wrote:

> I think that current recommendations call for adding acid ( usually
> lemon juice) to each jar as well. The old fashioned tomatoes were
> sufficiently acid, but many currently grown ones have less acid and are
> not safe to can at BWB temp without that addition. Check with National
> Center for Food Preservation at U of Georgia.

URL? (lazy me is too busy today to go searching)

I've got a recipe for BWB roasted red peppers that just calls for salt
and a bit of citric acid/sour salt and I want to check that that's OK.
I also don't know about the processing of 35 minutes for a pint....

Actually seems to have been posted here by "Ginger" a couple years ago.

Roasted Red Peppers
Roast Peppers 30 minutes at 375 degrees F. Cool thoroughly in closed
paper bag. Skin, core and seed. Cut flesh into suitable strips and place
in sealable one-pint glass canning jars.

Prepare brine: To 1 cup (250 ml) water, add 1 level tablespoon kosher
salt and 1/2 level teaspoon Citric acid monohydrate, food grade. Also
known as sour salt. pH will be 3 - 4 using pH paper.

Add enough brine to fill jars. Process in boiling water bath 35 min at
sea level to 450 feet above. Seal jar and allow to come to room temperature.

B/
Keith Warren

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> ellen wickberg wrote:
>
> > I think that current recommendations call for adding acid ( usually
> > lemon juice) to each jar as well. The old fashioned tomatoes were
> > sufficiently acid, but many currently grown ones have less acid and are
> > not safe to can at BWB temp without that addition. Check with National
> > Center for Food Preservation at U of Georgia.

> URL? (lazy me is too busy today to go searching)

What a contradiction in terms..... "lazy" me is too "busy"

In my best Brian Engvall imitation....................Heeeeere's your link

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

It does not show BWB as a recommended way to do peppers however.

> I've got a recipe for BWB roasted red peppers that just calls for salt
> and a bit of citric acid/sour salt and I want to check that that's OK.
> I also don't know about the processing of 35 minutes for a pint....
>
> Actually seems to have been posted here by "Ginger" a couple years ago.
>
> Roasted Red Peppers
> Roast Peppers 30 minutes at 375 degrees F. Cool thoroughly in closed
> paper bag. Skin, core and seed. Cut flesh into suitable strips and place
> in sealable one-pint glass canning jars.
>
> Prepare brine: To 1 cup (250 ml) water, add 1 level tablespoon kosher
> salt and 1/2 level teaspoon Citric acid monohydrate, food grade. Also
> known as sour salt. pH will be 3 - 4 using pH paper.
>
> Add enough brine to fill jars. Process in boiling water bath 35 min at
> sea level to 450 feet above. Seal jar and allow to come to room

temperature.

> B/

Brian Mailman

Keith Warren wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>> ellen wickberg wrote:
>>
>> > ... Check with National Center for Food Preservation at U of Georgia.

>> URL? (lazy me is too busy today to go searching)

> What a contradiction in terms..... "lazy" me is too "busy"

I'm also too tall to be short.

> In my best Brian Engvall imitation....................Heeeeere's your link
>
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

Heh, cool.. thought I had that one already but apparently not.

> It does not show BWB as a recommended way to do peppers however.

No, and I remember some conversation with someone from Somewhere about
it and she said she doubted one could acidify the peppers. That was a
couple years ago. So I gave up on it. Then a few days ago when I was
rooting around in a Recipes folder looking for the garlic chutney I ran
into the recipe I posted so now I'm wondering.

Maybe I should do something intelligent and google for the thread and
see if anyone commented on it.

>> I've got a recipe for BWB roasted red peppers that just calls for salt
>> and a bit of citric acid/sour salt and I want to check that that's OK.
>> I also don't know about the processing of 35 minutes for a pint....
>>
>> Actually seems to have been posted here by "Ginger" a couple years ago.
>>
>> Roasted Red Peppers
>> Roast Peppers 30 minutes at 375 degrees F. Cool thoroughly in closed
>> paper bag. Skin, core and seed. Cut flesh into suitable strips and place
>> in sealable one-pint glass canning jars.
>>
>> Prepare brine: To 1 cup (250 ml) water, add 1 level tablespoon kosher
>> salt and 1/2 level teaspoon Citric acid monohydrate, food grade. Also
>> known as sour salt. pH will be 3 - 4 using pH paper.
>>
>> Add enough brine to fill jars. Process in boiling water bath 35 min at
>> sea level to 450 feet above. Seal jar and allow to come to room

> temperature.
>>
>> B/

gfulton

"Keith Warren" > wrote in message

snipped

> Anybody have any ideas on ways to put up Cherry and Grape Tomatoes? I'm
> making salsa with the Better Boys, but I don't care for salsa with the

skin
> on and don't know of anything to do with the smaller varieties that would
> turn out alright with the skin still intact except for strained juice.
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Keith Warren
> NE Georgia Mountains

I'd forget trying to scald and peel the cherry or grape tomatoes. Did that
last year and they were very good eating coming out of the jars in the
middle of the winter, but what a labor intensive process peeling them is. I
just eat them straightaway now or put them on salads.

Garrett Fulton

Anny Middon

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message

> No, and I remember some conversation with someone from Somewhere about it
> and she said she doubted one could acidify the peppers. That was a couple
> years ago. So I gave up on it. Then a few days ago when I was rooting
> around in a Recipes folder looking for the garlic chutney I ran into the
> recipe I posted so now I'm wondering.

I don't know if you can acidify roasted peppers enough by themselves, but
the latest BBB has a recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Spread that can be BWB'd.
I made a bunch of it last year for part of my Christmas presents, and it was
very tasty.

Anny

Brian Mailman

Anny Middon wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>>
>> No, and I remember some conversation with someone from Somewhere about it
>> and she said she doubted one could acidify the peppers. That was a couple
>> years ago. So I gave up on it. Then a few days ago when I was rooting
>> around in a Recipes folder looking for the garlic chutney I ran into the
>> recipe I posted so now I'm wondering.
>>

> I don't know if you can acidify roasted peppers enough by themselves, but
> the latest BBB has a recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Spread that can be BWB'd.
> I made a bunch of it last year for part of my Christmas presents, and it was
> very tasty.

I was hoping someone would take a look at the recipe I posted (twice)
and offer an opinion.

I hae a friend who dearly loves roasted red peppers but due to arthitis
in her thumbs finds the peeling difficult and is unable to do it on "as
needed" basis. I was looking to stockpile red peppers in season instead
of her having to buy the waaay expensive commercially packed.

B/
zxcvbob

Brian Mailman wrote:

> Anny Middon wrote:
>
>> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>>

>>> No, and I remember some conversation with someone from Somewhere
>>> about it and she said she doubted one could acidify the peppers.
>>> That was a couple years ago. So I gave up on it. Then a few days
>>> ago when I was rooting around in a Recipes folder looking for the
>>> garlic chutney I ran into the recipe I posted so now I'm wondering.
>>>

>> I don't know if you can acidify roasted peppers enough by themselves,
>> but the latest BBB has a recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Spread that can
>> be BWB'd. I made a bunch of it last year for part of my Christmas
>> presents, and it was very tasty.

> I was hoping someone would take a look at the recipe I posted (twice)
> and offer an opinion.
>
> I hae a friend who dearly loves roasted red peppers but due to arthitis
> in her thumbs finds the peeling difficult and is unable to do it on "as
> needed" basis. I was looking to stockpile red peppers in season instead
> of her having to buy the waaay expensive commercially packed.
>
> B/

It looks like a recipe that I've seen somewhere before (BBB?) but I
can't comment on it. Here's a USDA recipe that calls for pressure
processing:

http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...ts/Peppers.pdf

If you choose your pepper varieties carefully, you *might* not have to
peel them (unless you just want to to get the roasted flavor.) Some
have very thin skins that cook soft and other's have tough plasticky
skins that never soften.

Bob

ellen wickberg

zxcvbob wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>> Anny Middon wrote:

>>> I don't know if you can acidify roasted peppers enough by themselves,
>>> but the latest BBB has a recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Spread that
>>> can be BWB'd. I made a bunch of it last year for part of my Christmas
>>> presents, and it was very tasty.

>> I was hoping someone would take a look at the recipe I posted (twice)
>> and offer an opinion.
>>
>> I hae a friend who dearly loves roasted red peppers but due to
>> arthitis in her thumbs finds the peeling difficult and is unable to do
>> it on "as needed" basis. I was looking to stockpile red peppers in
>> season instead of her having to buy the waaay expensive commercially
>> packed.
>>
>> B/

> It looks like a recipe that I've seen somewhere before (BBB?) but I
> can't comment on it. Here's a USDA recipe that calls for pressure
> processing:
>
> http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...ts/Peppers.pdf
>

> If you choose your pepper varieties carefully, you *might* not have to
> peel them (unless you just want to to get the roasted flavor.) Some
> have very thin skins that cook soft and other's have tough plasticky
> skins that never soften.
>
> Bob

If you don't want to pressure can you might want to try the Bernardin
Pickled Roasted Red Peppers which a rather diverse group in my Canning
Kitchen Community Kitchen all like. The recipe does not appear to be on
the website so I will type it in here.
20 medium sweet red peppers, 8 lbs. ( we use bell)
4 large cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar ( we often use all whsite)
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1/2 cup water
1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons dried oregano
4 teaspoons pickling salt
Roast peppers and garlic over hot coals or under broiler, until charred.
Place peppers in a paper bag until cool enough to handle. Squeeze
roasted garl from peel, mash and sset aswide.
Remove pepper skins, core and seed. Cut lengthwise into serving sized
pieces.

Combine garlic, vinegars, wine, water, onion , sugar, oregano and salt
in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil gently 5
mintes. Remove from heat.
Pack roasted peppers into a hot jar to 3/4 in of top rim. Add hot
liquid to cover to 1/2 inch. Wipe rim and apply lids as usual.
Process 15 minutes in BWB yield 4 pints.
You can leave out seasonings, but must not change the amount of vinegar
and water and peppers, since it is the acid that makes this safe to BWB.
It is not a sour pickle at all. Hope that you try it and see if it
would substitute for "just canned". The texture is very nice.
Let us know what you decide to do, pressure canned or this or what.
Frozen does work too with no safety risks.
Ellen
ellen wickberg

ellen wickberg wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>>> I was hoping someone would take a look at the recipe I posted (twice)
>>> and offer an opinion.
>>>
>>> I hae a friend who dearly loves roasted red peppers but due to
>>> arthitis in her thumbs finds the peeling difficult and is unable to
>>> do it on "as needed" basis. I was looking to stockpile red peppers
>>> in season instead of her having to buy the waaay expensive
>>> commercially packed.
>>>
>>> B/

>> It looks like a recipe that I've seen somewhere before (BBB?) but I
>> can't comment on it. Here's a USDA recipe that calls for pressure
>> processing:
>>
>> http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...ts/Peppers.pdf
>>

>> If you choose your pepper varieties carefully, you *might* not have to
>> peel them (unless you just want to to get the roasted flavor.) Some
>> have very thin skins that cook soft and other's have tough plasticky
>> skins that never soften.
>>
>> Bob

> If you don't want to pressure can you might want to try the Bernardin
> Pickled Roasted Red Peppers which a rather diverse group in my Canning
> Kitchen Community Kitchen all like. The recipe does not appear to be on
> the website so I will type it in here.
> 20 medium sweet red peppers, 8 lbs. ( we use bell)
> 4 large cloves garlic
> 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
> 1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar ( we often use all whsite)
> 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
> 1/2 cup water
> 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
> 4 teaspoons pickling salt
> Roast peppers and garlic over hot coals or under broiler, until charred.
> Place peppers in a paper bag until cool enough to handle. Squeeze
> roasted garl from peel, mash and sset aswide.
> Remove pepper skins, core and seed. Cut lengthwise into serving sized
> pieces.
>
> Combine garlic, vinegars, wine, water, onion , sugar, oregano and salt
> in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil gently 5
> mintes. Remove from heat.
> Pack roasted peppers into a hot jar to 3/4 in of top rim. Add hot
> liquid to cover to 1/2 inch. Wipe rim and apply lids as usual.
> Process 15 minutes in BWB yield 4 pints.
> You can leave out seasonings, but must not change the amount of vinegar
> and water and peppers, since it is the acid that makes this safe to BWB.
> It is not a sour pickle at all. Hope that you try it and see if it
> would substitute for "just canned". The texture is very nice.
> Let us know what you decide to do, pressure canned or this or what.
> Frozen does work too with no safety risks.
> Ellen

I see lots of typos here, my apologies. I was typing with the open book
covering the screen.
Ellen
Brian Mailman

zxcvbob wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:

>> I was hoping someone would take a look at the recipe I posted (twice)
>> and offer an opinion....

> It looks like a recipe that I've seen somewhere before (BBB?)

I did get it from this group, ca. 1998 it looks like. I'm sure if it
was BBB they'd've checked to see if it was safe? Seems to me they'd be
liable for those kinds of issues if they didn't.

> but I can't comment on it. Here's a USDA recipe that calls for

pressure
> processing:
>
> http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...ts/Peppers.pdf

Yar, but I don't have a pressure canner.

> If you choose your pepper varieties carefully, you *might* not have to
> peel them (unless you just want to to get the roasted flavor.) Some
> have very thin skins that cook soft and other's have tough plasticky
> skins that never soften.

Cool, I wondered why that was so, seem to be both in the same batch I
buy. I buy at the Latino markets (I'm within walking distance of the
Mission district in SF) or the Civic Center Farmers' Market and they all
seem to be mixed.

B/
Brian Mailman

ellen wickberg wrote:

> If you don't want to pressure can you might want to try the Bernardin
> Pickled Roasted Red Peppers which a rather diverse group in my Canning
> Kitchen Community Kitchen all like. The recipe does not appear to be on
> the website so I will type it in here.

Thanks!

(snip)
> It is not a sour pickle at all. Hope that you try it and see if it
> would substitute for "just canned". The texture is very nice.

Ah, cool... that's been my objection to the pickled peppers so far--I'd
like them to be use-versatile, for example if she decides to make a
roasted pepper soup for Valentine's Day or something.

I like 'em with goat cheese and pickled red onions on a portabello
'burger" or with garbanzo puree for a red pepper hummus or a spread on
crostini.

B/
George Shirley

Brian Mailman wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>>> I was hoping someone would take a look at the recipe I posted (twice)
>>> and offer an opinion....

>> It looks like a recipe that I've seen somewhere before (BBB?)

> I did get it from this group, ca. 1998 it looks like. I'm sure if it
> was BBB they'd've checked to see if it was safe? Seems to me they'd be
> liable for those kinds of issues if they didn't.
>
> > but I can't comment on it. Here's a USDA recipe that calls for

> pressure
>
>> processing:
>>
>> http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...ts/Peppers.pdf
>>

> Yar, but I don't have a pressure canner.
>
>> If you choose your pepper varieties carefully, you *might* not have to
>> peel them (unless you just want to to get the roasted flavor.) Some
>> have very thin skins that cook soft and other's have tough plasticky
>> skins that never soften.

> Cool, I wondered why that was so, seem to be both in the same batch I
> buy. I buy at the Latino markets (I'm within walking distance of the
> Mission district in SF) or the Civic Center Farmers' Market and they all
> seem to be mixed.
>
> B/

Ask for "cooking chiles", I grow Gypsies and they are a cooking chile
with thin edible skins. I think Cubanos are another variety that's
around. I seldom roast and peel any chile, I chop and freeze several
varieties and then add them to whatever I'm cooking in the last five
minutes. Still have some crunch and skins aren't tough.

The only way I know to can them without pressure canning is to pickle
them, that way they're acid enough to preserve in a BWB.

George

~patches~

Keith Warren wrote:

> I finally bit the bullet and bought my very own Pressure Canner. Answered an
> ad in the paper and picked up a 23qt Presto, it has some age on it, but a
> brand new seal, gauge, regulator, and safety valve have been installed. Also
> came with a (as my family has always called'em) Can-Get'er-Out'ers, a Berry
> Sieve, 7 brand new cases of pint and jelly jars, numerous lids, rings,
> sure-jell and pickling spices and two filling funnels.
>
> Been borrowing mom's for years, but this year the garden gnomes are in sync
> and we both need it at the same time.
>
> Now if it will just stop raining long enough to dry up a little so that I
> can actually get in to the garden, without sinking to my knees....I'll put
> it to good use.
>
> Ripe and ready to can are Tomatoes, Jalapeno & Serrano Peppers, Colossal
> Cow-Peas, Squash (Zucchini and Crookneck), Blackberries and Blueberries.
>
> Anybody have any ideas on ways to put up Cherry and Grape Tomatoes? I'm
> making salsa with the Better Boys, but I don't care for salsa with the skin
> on and don't know of anything to do with the smaller varieties that would
> turn out alright with the skin still intact except for strained juice.
> Suggestions?

I'd suggest roasted tomato sauce. Just don't cook it overnight because
it smells good enough to keep you wake. Toss the tomatoes into a
roasting pan. Don't worry about peeling. Add garlic cloves, salt,
pepper, parsley, oregano, and basil. Drizzle with olive oil then cover
and set on the bbq until you can't stand the smell anymore as in wiping
up drool off the floor. Now, you can either use a hand held blender if
you want a smooth sauce with a little texture or a food mill for a
smoother texture. This sauce freezes and cans well.
~patches~

ellen wickberg wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>>> I was hoping someone would take a look at the recipe I posted (twice)
>>> and offer an opinion.
>>>
>>> I hae a friend who dearly loves roasted red peppers but due to
>>> arthitis in her thumbs finds the peeling difficult and is unable to
>>> do it on "as needed" basis. I was looking to stockpile red peppers
>>> in season instead of her having to buy the waaay expensive
>>> commercially packed.
>>>
>>> B/

>> It looks like a recipe that I've seen somewhere before (BBB?) but I
>> can't comment on it. Here's a USDA recipe that calls for pressure
>> processing:
>>
>> http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...ts/Peppers.pdf
>>

>> If you choose your pepper varieties carefully, you *might* not have to
>> peel them (unless you just want to to get the roasted flavor.) Some
>> have very thin skins that cook soft and other's have tough plasticky
>> skins that never soften.
>>
>> Bob

> If you don't want to pressure can you might want to try the Bernardin
> Pickled Roasted Red Peppers which a rather diverse group in my Canning
> Kitchen Community Kitchen all like. The recipe does not appear to be on
> the website so I will type it in here.
> 20 medium sweet red peppers, 8 lbs. ( we use bell)
> 4 large cloves garlic
> 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
> 1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar ( we often use all whsite)
> 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
> 1/2 cup water
> 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
> 4 teaspoons pickling salt
> Roast peppers and garlic over hot coals or under broiler, until charred.
> Place peppers in a paper bag until cool enough to handle. Squeeze
> roasted garl from peel, mash and sset aswide.
> Remove pepper skins, core and seed. Cut lengthwise into serving sized
> pieces.
>
> Combine garlic, vinegars, wine, water, onion , sugar, oregano and salt
> in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil gently 5
> mintes. Remove from heat.
> Pack roasted peppers into a hot jar to 3/4 in of top rim. Add hot
> liquid to cover to 1/2 inch. Wipe rim and apply lids as usual.
> Process 15 minutes in BWB yield 4 pints.
> You can leave out seasonings, but must not change the amount of vinegar
> and water and peppers, since it is the acid that makes this safe to BWB.
> It is not a sour pickle at all. Hope that you try it and see if it
> would substitute for "just canned". The texture is very nice.
> Let us know what you decide to do, pressure canned or this or what.
> Frozen does work too with no safety risks.
> Ellen

Oh, this looks like a really nice recipe. Thanks for posting it!
Judith Umbria

http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...eProducts/Pepp
ers.pdf

> >> If you choose your pepper varieties carefully, you *might* not have to
> >> peel them (unless you just want to to get the roasted flavor.) Some
> >> have very thin skins that cook soft and other's have tough plasticky
> >> skins that never soften.

I live in the middle of an Italian farm. My neighbors roast them, slip the
skins off and remove the cores, then throw them into a bag in the freezer.
It works.

Ophelia

"Judith Umbria" > wrote in message

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>> > I did get it from this group, ca. 1998 it looks like. I'm sure if
>> > it
>> > was BBB they'd've checked to see if it was safe? Seems to me
>> > they'd be
>> > liable for those kinds of issues if they didn't.

>> > pressure

> http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...eProducts/Pepp
> ers.pdf

> I live in the middle of an Italian farm. My neighbors roast them,
> slip the
> skins off and remove the cores, then throw them into a bag in the
> freezer.
> It works.

Judith, whenever I roast them I have difficulty getting all the
blackened skin off. Does running it under the tap make any difference?

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

> ellen wickberg wrote:
>
> > I think that current recommendations call for adding acid ( usually
> > lemon juice) to each jar as well. The old fashioned tomatoes were
> > sufficiently acid, but many currently grown ones have less acid and are
> > not safe to can at BWB temp without that addition. Check with National
> > Center for Food Preservation at U of Georgia.

> URL? (lazy me is too busy today to go searching)

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/
Start there, DufusBoy!
(Barb slaps Brian upside the head)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (no pictures
yet, though)

ellen wickberg

Ophelia wrote:
> "Judith Umbria" > wrote in message
>
>>"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .

>>http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...eProducts/Pepp
>>ers.pdf

>>I live in the middle of an Italian farm. My neighbors roast them,
>>slip the
>>skins off and remove the cores, then throw them into a bag in the
>>freezer.
>>It works.

> Judith, whenever I roast them I have difficulty getting all the
> blackened skin off. Does running it under the tap make any difference?

If you rinse them with water you lose some taste.
Ellen
Ophelia

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Judith Umbria" > wrote in message
>>
>>>"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...eProducts/Pepp
>>>ers.pdf

>>>I live in the middle of an Italian farm. My neighbors roast them,
>>>slip the
>>>skins off and remove the cores, then throw them into a bag in the
>>>freezer.
>>>It works.

>> Judith, whenever I roast them I have difficulty getting all the
>> blackened skin off. Does running it under the tap make any
>> difference?
>>

> If you rinse them with water you lose some taste.
> Ellen

That is what I thought

So do you just pick away at them till all the blackened skin is off?

zxcvbob

Ophelia wrote:
> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>>"Judith Umbria" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>Judith, whenever I roast them I have difficulty getting all the
>>>blackened skin off. Does running it under the tap make any
>>>difference?
>>>

>>If you rinse them with water you lose some taste.
>>Ellen

> That is what I thought
>
> So do you just pick away at them till all the blackened skin is off?

For peppers with tough skins (the variety "Big Jim" is especially bad),
generally the skin comes off in just a few big pieces. Pepper roasting
instructions generally have you put the still hot peppers in a bag for a
few minutes to cool, and this steams the skins loose.

Bob
Ophelia

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message

.. .

t...

>>>If you rinse them with water you lose some taste.
>>>Ellen

>> That is what I thought
>>
>> So do you just pick away at them till all the blackened skin is off?

> For peppers with tough skins (the variety "Big Jim" is especially
> bad), generally the skin comes off in just a few big pieces. Pepper
> roasting instructions generally have you put the still hot peppers in
> a bag for a few minutes to cool, and this steams the skins loose.

Thanks Bob. I will give that a try

zxcvbob

Ophelia wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>>"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message

. ..

et...

>>>That is what I thought
>>>
>>>So do you just pick away at them till all the blackened skin is off?

>>For peppers with tough skins (the variety "Big Jim" is especially
>>bad), generally the skin comes off in just a few big pieces. Pepper
>>roasting instructions generally have you put the still hot peppers in
>>a bag for a few minutes to cool, and this steams the skins loose.

> Thanks Bob. I will give that a try

I can't remember if it's a plastic bag or a brown paper bag, but I think
it's paper. (and you close the bag, of course) HTH :-)

Bob

ellen wickberg

Ophelia wrote:
> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>>"Judith Umbria" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>Judith, whenever I roast them I have difficulty getting all the
>>>blackened skin off. Does running it under the tap make any
>>>difference?
>>>

>>If you rinse them with water you lose some taste.
>>Ellen

> That is what I thought
>
> So do you just pick away at them till all the blackened skin is off?

Most of the time the skin slides off easily. Pushing it off is, I
think, easier that picking it off.
Ellen
Ophelia

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I can't remember if it's a plastic bag or a brown paper bag, but I
> think it's paper. (and you close the bag, of course) HTH :-)

Well... I am sure someone will come up with the answer)

Thanks Bob

Ophelia

> Most of the time the skin slides off easily. Pushing it off is, I
> think, easier that picking it off.

Hmmmmm well I usually end up picking off wee bits!

Brian Mailman

zxcvbob wrote:

> I can't remember if it's a plastic bag or a brown paper bag, but I think
> it's paper. (and you close the bag, of course) HTH :-)

As long as the peppers are enclosed to steam. I've seen them just
placed on a counter with a bowl inverted over them.

B/
ellen wickberg

zxcvbob wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> For peppers with tough skins (the variety "Big Jim" is especially
>>> bad), generally the skin comes off in just a few big pieces. Pepper
>>> roasting instructions generally have you put the still hot peppers in
>>> a bag for a few minutes to cool, and this steams the skins loose.

>> Thanks Bob. I will give that a try

> I can't remember if it's a plastic bag or a brown paper bag, but I think
> it's paper. (and you close the bag, of course) HTH :-)
>
> Bob

either works.
Ellen

Ophelia

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I can't remember if it's a plastic bag or a brown paper bag, but I
>> think it's paper. (and you close the bag, of course) HTH :-)

> As long as the peppers are enclosed to steam. I've seen them just
> placed on a counter with a bowl inverted over them.

Thank you Brian

Judith Umbria

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Judith Umbria" > wrote in message

http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...eProducts/Pepp
> > ers.pdf

> > I live in the middle of an Italian farm. My neighbors roast them,
> > slip the
> > skins off and remove the cores, then throw them into a bag in the
> > freezer.
> > It works.

> Judith, whenever I roast them I have difficulty getting all the
> blackened skin off. Does running it under the tap make any difference?

I never do. Are you leaving them after roasting long enough, I wonder?
Sometimes mine aren't black most places, but the skins do come off, but then
I am casual about what time I get back to them.

Ophelia

"Judith Umbria" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

> http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/usda/4...eProducts/Pepp
>> > ers.pdf

>> > I live in the middle of an Italian farm. My neighbors roast them,
>> > slip the
>> > skins off and remove the cores, then throw them into a bag in the
>> > freezer.
>> > It works.

>> Judith, whenever I roast them I have difficulty getting all the
>> blackened skin off. Does running it under the tap make any
>> difference?

> I never do. Are you leaving them after roasting long enough, I
> wonder?
> Sometimes mine aren't black most places, but the skins do come off,
> but then
> I am casual about what time I get back to them.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks Judith

Keith Warren

Thanks I'll give this one a try!

The first picking on the full-sized tomatoes produced 45 quarts. I've also
put up another 7 quarts of peas so far. If it ever stops raining, I'll give
the roasted tomato sauce a try as well as several quarts of salsa and sliced
peppers.

Keith

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Keith Warren wrote:
>
> > I finally bit the bullet and bought my very own Pressure Canner.

Answered an
> > ad in the paper and picked up a 23qt Presto, it has some age on it, but

> > brand new seal, gauge, regulator, and safety valve have been installed.

Also
> > came with a (as my family has always called'em) Can-Get'er-Out'ers, a

Berry
> > Sieve, 7 brand new cases of pint and jelly jars, numerous lids, rings,
> > sure-jell and pickling spices and two filling funnels.
> >
> > Been borrowing mom's for years, but this year the garden gnomes are in

sync
> > and we both need it at the same time.
> >
> > Now if it will just stop raining long enough to dry up a little so that

> > can actually get in to the garden, without sinking to my knees....I'll

put
> > it to good use.
> >
> > Ripe and ready to can are Tomatoes, Jalapeno & Serrano Peppers, Colossal
> > Cow-Peas, Squash (Zucchini and Crookneck), Blackberries and Blueberries.
> >
> > Anybody have any ideas on ways to put up Cherry and Grape Tomatoes? I'm
> > making salsa with the Better Boys, but I don't care for salsa with the

skin
> > on and don't know of anything to do with the smaller varieties that

would
> > turn out alright with the skin still intact except for strained juice.
> > Suggestions?
> >

> I'd suggest roasted tomato sauce. Just don't cook it overnight because
> it smells good enough to keep you wake. Toss the tomatoes into a
> roasting pan. Don't worry about peeling. Add garlic cloves, salt,
> pepper, parsley, oregano, and basil. Drizzle with olive oil then cover
> and set on the bbq until you can't stand the smell anymore as in wiping
> up drool off the floor. Now, you can either use a hand held blender if
> you want a smooth sauce with a little texture or a food mill for a
> smoother texture. This sauce freezes and cans well.

Pressure Canner Suggestions Naomi Jordan Preserving 11 26-09-2011 08:15 PM
question about getting a new pressure canner Mark Daniel Ward Preserving 19 22-07-2009 02:34 PM
Pressure Canner Al Reid Preserving 20 26-07-2006 02:25 PM
Self contained Pressure Canner Jim Kueneman Preserving 13 27-01-2004 09:19 PM
Pressure Canner Andrew Valiukas Preserving 16 12-12-2003 11:43 AM