Brigg222

Default canned tomatoes......?

Hello, I have canned tomatoes. After I have chocked full all of the jars,
put the lids and rings on, boiled them for the proper time......take them out
of the boiling water and they seal when cooling.....I remove the rings after
they are totally cool.
In my experience the meat of the tomatoes is now on the top range of the jars.
With the liquid being on the bottom. Here is my Q? My sister in law had some
extra jars of canned tomatoes she canned and gave them to me. 12 jars. On her
jars she has marked the lid with 2002. Summer of that is. In all of the jars
she gave me the meat of the tomato is on the bottom of the jar and the liquid
is on the top. Is this something to be concerned with? I have some canned
tomatoes that I did and the meat of the tomatos never shifted to the
bottom.....even after a few years? I don`t want to ask her about her canning
procedure since she gave me these free. I guess they should be ok since she is
still alive and well after eating her own canned tomatoes. TIA for any info.
Dan.
zxcvbob

Brigg222 wrote:
> Hello, I have canned tomatoes. After I have chocked full all of the jars,
> put the lids and rings on, boiled them for the proper time......take them out
> of the boiling water and they seal when cooling.....I remove the rings after
> they are totally cool.
> In my experience the meat of the tomatoes is now on the top range of the jars.
> With the liquid being on the bottom. Here is my Q? My sister in law had some
> extra jars of canned tomatoes she canned and gave them to me. 12 jars. On her
> jars she has marked the lid with 2002. Summer of that is. In all of the jars
> she gave me the meat of the tomato is on the bottom of the jar and the liquid
> is on the top. Is this something to be concerned with? I have some canned
> tomatoes that I did and the meat of the tomatos never shifted to the
> bottom.....even after a few years? I don`t want to ask her about her canning
> procedure since she gave me these free. I guess they should be ok since she is
> still alive and well after eating her own canned tomatoes. TIA for any info.
> Dan.

Just shake them up if it bothers you. Seriously. The separation
doesn't mean anything. Or take a turkey baster and carefully take the
clear liquid off and use it to make chicken bouillon, and cook with the
solids part. Don't throw the liquid away, it is good stuff.

Best regards,
Bob
Brigg222

>Maybe she hot packed them, they tend to float a little less that way. Ellen

I don`t know which method she used to can these tomatoes. Thanks for the info.
Dan.