Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default canned stewed tomatoes

Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
salt added tomatoes are. Unbelievably fresh tasting. I'm going to
buy that stuff from now on.

--

If it feels like an oven outside, why doesn't it smell like brownies?

`````````

Simple Ratatouille
by E. Casey Lunny.

Ingredients:

1 medium sized onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium or large eggplant, diced
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 medium zucchini diced into large chunks
add herbs as desired (try basil)
olive oil (enough to sauté onion/garlic)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Sauté the onion and garlic until tender
Add eggplant and tomatoes, bring to simmer
Simmer, covered for 15 minutes
Add zucchini
Simmer for 10-15 more minutes until vegetables are suitably soft

Remove from heat
Stir in the herbs, season to taste

Serve over:

Rice
Egg noodles
Pasta
Boiled, cubed potatoes

Modifications to the basic recipe for ratatouille

Just with any recipe, ratatouille is open to interpretations. Great
additions include diced chicken, sauteed firm tofu, seitan and more
seasonal vegetables. The dish may be topped with grated cheese at the
time of serving.

The dish when prepared following the recipe included here, is a vegan
dish, meaning that it contains no animal products. This could be a
great dish to serve at a dinner party where a mixture of omnivores and
vegans are present. This article contains more tips on hosting such a
dinner party.

Ratatouille as prepared here is also relatively low-fat. The only fat
comes from the olive oil. Omitting the olive oil creates a fat free
dish.

This dish is also fairly low-sodium. Since the dish features
delicious, fresh vegetables, cutting own on salt can be easy. The
only thing to watch out for is the canned tomatoes. Make sure that
you are using tomatoes that do not have added sodium, or simply use
fresh tomatoes.

This dish is great year-round. During the summer months, when fresh
vegetables are abundant, this can be a light, easy dinner. During the
winter months, when heartier fare is desired, adding more protein and
serving over potatoes can make a comforting dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 10:57*pm, sf > wrote:
> Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
> salt added tomatoes are. *Unbelievably fresh tasting. *I'm going to
> buy that stuff from now on.

Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
always a showstopper for me.

CIndy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> On Aug 29, 10:57*pm, sf > wrote:
> > Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
> > salt added tomatoes are. *Unbelievably fresh tasting. *I'm going to
> > buy that stuff from now on.

> Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
> always a showstopper for me.
>
> CIndy Hamilton

Try this, Cindy. Halve the recipe, if you wish. Cook as directed and
freeze in 2-cup portions in freezer-weight Ziploc-type bags. The recipe
was developed for canning for shelf storage; if you're inclined to do
that, contact me privately for information because there are adjustments
to be made. IF you DO NOT want to can it, you may increase the amount
of the celery, onion, and green pepper. If you plan to can, **stick to
the proportions shown;** there is a reason for it.:

Stewed Tomatoes
Recipe By: Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8-30-2010

Yield: 14 cups

12 cups cored, peeled, and quartered 2" diamater tomatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
3 teaspoons salt (may be omitted)

Simmer the vegetables for 10 minutes.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/2010 9:57 PM, sf wrote:
> Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
> salt added tomatoes are. Unbelievably fresh tasting. I'm going to
> buy that stuff from now on.

I use them all the time. I'll heat them with frozen green beans and some
appropriate herbs or with frozen okra or sliced zucchini, again with
appropriate seasonings.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 10:07*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> > On Aug 29, 10:57*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
> > > salt added tomatoes are. *Unbelievably fresh tasting. *I'm going to
> > > buy that stuff from now on.

> > Have you found some that don't have sugar added? *That's
> > always a showstopper for me.

> > CIndy Hamilton

> Try this, Cindy. *Halve the recipe, if you wish. Cook as directed and
> freeze in 2-cup portions in freezer-weight Ziploc-type bags. *The recipe
> was developed for canning for shelf storage; if you're inclined to do
> that, contact me privately for information because there are adjustments
> to be made. *IF you DO NOT want to can it, you may increase the amount
> of the celery, onion, and green pepper. *If you plan to can, **stick to
> the proportions shown;** there is a reason for it.:
>
> Stewed Tomatoes
> Recipe By: Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8-30-2010
>
> Yield: 14 cups
>
> 12 cups cored, peeled, and quartered 2" diamater tomatoes
> 1 cup chopped celery
> 1/2 cup chopped onion
> 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
> 3 teaspoons salt (may be omitted)
>
> Simmer the vegetables for 10 minutes.

Thanks.

Cindy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Aug 29, 10:57*pm, sf > wrote:
> > Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
> > salt added tomatoes are. *Unbelievably fresh tasting. *I'm going to
> > buy that stuff from now on.

> Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
> always a showstopper for me.

I don't look for sugar, but I know what you mean. Sometimes tomato
products can be cloyingly sweet. That hasn't happened to me in the
last few years so they must be toning it down. This the Safeway house
brand. Looking.... it says sugar on the label, but you can't prove it
by me tastewise. It's fresh tasting and delicious.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 1:44*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>
> > wrote:
> > On Aug 29, 10:57*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
> > > salt added tomatoes are. *Unbelievably fresh tasting. *I'm going to
> > > buy that stuff from now on.

> > Have you found some that don't have sugar added? *That's
> > always a showstopper for me.

> I don't look for sugar, but I know what you mean. *Sometimes tomato
> products can be cloyingly sweet. *That hasn't happened to me in the
> last few years so they must be toning it down. *This the Safeway house
> brand. *Looking.... it says sugar on the label, but you can't prove it
> by me tastewise. *It's fresh tasting and delicious.
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

The last big name brand of stewed tomatoes I bought had high fructose
corn syrup as an ingredient. I can't figure out why the producers
think they need to add that stuff to everything!

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:17:57 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>The last big name brand of stewed tomatoes I bought had high fructose
>corn syrup as an ingredient. I can't figure out why the producers
>think they need to add that stuff to everything!

Still canning and freezing my own crop!! It's just too easy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:06:16 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > > Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
> > > always a showstopper for me.
> > >

> > I don't look for sugar, but I know what you mean. Sometimes tomato
> > products can be cloyingly sweet. That hasn't happened to me in the
> > last few years so they must be toning it down. This the Safeway house
> > brand. Looking.... it says sugar on the label, but you can't prove it
> > by me tastewise. It's fresh tasting and delicious.

> Huh. Mine are HEB brand NO SALT ADDED Diced tomatoes.
> Ingredients a
>
> Tomatoes
> Tomato juice
> Citric Acid
> Calcium Chloride
>
> No sugar. :-)

Nice. No HEB here. Couldn't even tell there was any sugar until I
looked at the can.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Aug 30, 1:44 pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
>>> always a showstopper for me.

>> I don't look for sugar, but I know what you mean. Sometimes tomato
>> products can be cloyingly sweet. That hasn't happened to me in the
>> last few years so they must be toning it down. This the Safeway house
>> brand. Looking.... it says sugar on the label, but you can't prove it
>> by me tastewise. It's fresh tasting and delicious.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

> The last big name brand of stewed tomatoes I bought had high fructose
> corn syrup as an ingredient. I can't figure out why the producers
> think they need to add that stuff to everything!
>
> N.

That's disgusting. Dare I ask the brand?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

> Huh. Mine are HEB brand NO SALT ADDED Diced tomatoes.
> Ingredients a
>
> Tomatoes
> Tomato juice
> Citric Acid
> Calcium Chloride
>
> No sugar. :-)

You might have to dig deeper to find the ingredients in "tomato juice".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:17:57 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> I can't figure out why the producers think they need to add that stuff to everything!

Agreed.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/sugars.htm

Agave Nectar
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup, or corn syrup solids
Dehydrated Cane Juice
Dextrin
Dextrose
Fructose
Fruit juice concentrate
Glucose
High-fructose corn syrup
Honey
Invert sugar
Lactose
Maltodextrin
Malt syrup
Maltose
Maple syrup
Molasses
Raw sugar
Rice Syrup
Saccharose
Sorghum or sorghum syrup
Sucrose
Syrup
Treacle
Turbinado Sugar
Xylose

Remember, your body doesn't care what the label says, it's all just
"sugar"!

A lot of "Sugar Free" foods have ingredients called sugar alcohols in
them such as maltitol and sorbitol. These ingredients can be as bad
or worse than sugar.

More information about sugar alcohols -
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wha...aralcohols.htm

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:58:49 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
> > salt added tomatoes are. Unbelievably fresh tasting. I'm going to
> > buy that stuff from now on.

> <sigh> I've posted numerous times on how "fresh" tasting the canned "no
> salt added" vegetables in general are!
>
> I dare you to try the others. The ones here that are offered for the
> same price as the crap over-salted ones include peas, corn, spinach and
> green beans. :-)

I don't use canned vegetables in general. If they aren't fresh, they
are frozen.

> Welcome to the club!
> I've been using "no salt added" canned veggies now for a few years!
> Everybody here has laughed at me about them.
>
> They are quite amazing actually!

I thought I'd bought no salt added canned tomatoes before, but I guess
not. I would have noticed if they tasted like it did last night.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> > Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
> > always a showstopper for me.

> I have yet to find any that DO have sugar added.

That's not how it's worked for me, most of the time.

"stewed tomatoes" = "added sugar"

I have seen an exception, but doesn't that prove the rule?

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:08:26 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> "stewed tomatoes" = "added sugar"

I'm fine with it as long as it's not overdone. Same with salt.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Simple Ratatouille
> by E. Casey Lunny.
>

> Ingredients:
>
> 1 medium sized onion, chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 medium or large eggplant, diced
> 1 can stewed tomatoes
> 2 medium zucchini diced into large chunks
> add herbs as desired (try basil)
> olive oil (enough to sauté onion/garlic)
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Directions:
>
> Sauté the onion and garlic until tender
> Add eggplant and tomatoes, bring to simmer
> Simmer, covered for 15 minutes
> Add zucchini
> Simmer for 10-15 more minutes until vegetables are suitably soft
>
> Remove from heat
> Stir in the herbs, season to taste
>
> Serve over:
>
> Rice
> Egg noodles
> Pasta
> Boiled, cubed potatoes
>
> Modifications to the basic recipe for ratatouille
>
> Just with any recipe, ratatouille is open to interpretations. Great
> additions include diced chicken, sauteed firm tofu, seitan and more
> seasonal vegetables. The dish may be topped with grated cheese at the
> time of serving.

This recipe should really have a couple of capsicums in it. Perhaps one red
and one green or yellow.
I made a big pot of it last night to this recette:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...tatouille.html

She also has a recipe for oven-roasted ratatouille.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2010 3:58 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
>> salt added tomatoes are. Unbelievably fresh tasting. I'm going to
>> buy that stuff from now on.

> <sigh> I've posted numerous times on how "fresh" tasting the canned "no
> salt added" vegetables in general are!
>
> I dare you to try the others. The ones here that are offered for the
> same price as the crap over-salted ones include peas, corn, spinach and
> green beans. :-)
>
> Welcome to the club!
> I've been using "no salt added" canned veggies now for a few years!
> Everybody here has laughed at me about them.
>
> They are quite amazing actually!

I've been buying and using them for about ten years now. I also can my
own no-salt, no-sugar added veggies. Of course they have to be pressure
canned. Green beans that I can are much tastier than the store bought
ones. I like them canned better than I do frozen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:15:11 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:

> I just read the label on the "no name" brand in my cupboard.
>
> Tomatoes
> Tomato juice
> Citric Acid (aka food acid 330)
>
> Nothing else. To be honest, I was surprised to see food acid 330,
> because my usual brand is simply tomatoes and juice IIRC.

Mine were stewed tomatoes, Alan.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2010 3:59 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Cindy > wrote:
>
>> On Aug 29, 10:57 pm, > wrote:
>>> Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
>>> salt added tomatoes are. Unbelievably fresh tasting. I'm going to
>>> buy that stuff from now on.

>> Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
>> always a showstopper for me.
>>
>> CIndy Hamilton

> I have yet to find any that DO have sugar added.
>
> Just plain "no salt added" canned tomatoes. Nothing added.

Dear wife bought some diced tomatoes with NO SALT ADDED on the can. I
usually don't buy them adulterated with anything, these had garlic,
basil, oregano and HFCS in them. I'll wait and feed them to the adult
grandkids, they'll eat anything. I buy the Kroger brand just plain old
skinned, diced tomatoes with no salt and nothing else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2010 4:06 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
>>> always a showstopper for me.
>>>

>> I don't look for sugar, but I know what you mean. Sometimes tomato
>> products can be cloyingly sweet. That hasn't happened to me in the
>> last few years so they must be toning it down. This the Safeway house
>> brand. Looking.... it says sugar on the label, but you can't prove it
>> by me tastewise. It's fresh tasting and delicious.

> Huh. Mine are HEB brand NO SALT ADDED Diced tomatoes.
> Ingredients a
>
> Tomatoes
> Tomato juice
> Citric Acid

Citric acid is added to increase the pH of the tomatoes as many modern
tomatoes are low acid.

> Calcium Chloride

Added to increase the crispness of the tomatoes, without the Calcium
Chloride they would be soft to the palate.

> No sugar. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> I just read the label on the "no name" brand in my cupboard.
>
> Tomatoes
> Tomato juice
> Citric Acid (aka food acid 330)
>
> Nothing else.

That surprises me. In the US, stewed tomatoes generally have at least
onions and peppers added. And sugar.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:23:36 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

> Dear wife bought some diced tomatoes with NO SALT ADDED on the can. I
> usually don't buy them adulterated with anything, these had garlic,
> basil, oregano and HFCS in them. I'll wait and feed them to the adult
> grandkids, they'll eat anything.

I prefer that type too. I'm not concerned with sugar or salt until
they add too much of it.

> I buy the Kroger brand just plain old
> skinned, diced tomatoes with no salt and nothing else.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:21:12 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

> This recipe should really have a couple of capsicums in it. Perhaps one red
> and one green or yellow.

You're right. I just add Tabasco to taste on my serving.

> I made a big pot of it last night to this recette:
> http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...tatouille.html
>
> She also has a recipe for oven-roasted ratatouille.

Thanks.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> > > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> Nice. No HEB here. Couldn't even tell there was any sugar until I
> looked at the can.

Is that "added sugar", as in list of ingredients? Or on the nutritional
part of the label?

Ripe tomatoes have quite a bit of sugar in them, so even if none is
added, it will show on the nutrition label. They are also usually acid
(which doesn't have to be shown on the nutrition label), so they don't
taste very sweet.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:43:05 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> Is that "added sugar", as in list of ingredients? Or on the nutritional
> part of the label?
>
> Ripe tomatoes have quite a bit of sugar in them, so even if none is
> added, it will show on the nutrition label. They are also usually acid
> (which doesn't have to be shown on the nutrition label), so they don't
> taste very sweet.

It's listed in the "ingredients" portion. The nutritional part says
Sodium: 20mg
Sugars: 5g

That's one teaspoon of sugar. I can live with it.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> <sigh> I've posted numerous times on how "fresh" tasting the canned "no
> salt added" vegetables in general are!

Some canned veggies are perfectly acceptable, tomatoes being one of the
best. Very few others though, IMO.

> I dare you to try the others. The ones here that are offered for the
> same price as the crap over-salted ones include peas, corn, spinach and
> green beans. :-)

Doesn't matter if the peas, spinach, green beans are salted or not-if
they're canned they take on a very strange taste and consistency
compared to fresh or frozen.

> Welcome to the club!
> I've been using "no salt added" canned veggies now for a few years!
> Everybody here has laughed at me about them.

Well, yeah, you do inspire it sometimes.

> They are quite amazing actually!

Surely you jest?!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> The last big name brand of stewed tomatoes I bought had high fructose
> corn syrup as an ingredient. I can't figure out why the producers
> think they need to add that stuff to everything!
>
> N.

Stewed tomatoes are a "recipe" and include other ingredients whereas
diced tomatoes shouldn't. I think people make that mistake with tomato
sauce and tomato puree also. Perhaps you're buying one item with the
idea that you'll be getting the other....?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Dear wife bought some diced tomatoes with NO SALT ADDED on the can. I
> usually don't buy them adulterated with anything, these had garlic,
> basil, oregano and HFCS in them. I'll wait and feed them to the adult
> grandkids, they'll eat anything. I buy the Kroger brand just plain old
> skinned, diced tomatoes with no salt and nothing else.

yeah, they're a newer item on the shelves and I dislike it a lot. If I
want basil or oregano with tomatoes, I will add it myself. I've picked
those cans up by accident before when thinking I was reaching for
regular plain diced tomatoes and it altered the taste of the dish I was
preparing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Citric acid is added to increase the pH of the tomatoes as many modern
> tomatoes are low acid.

I think you mean lower the pH and you're correct about modern tomatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2010 3:58 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Either I haven't noticed or I'm the last to realize how good the no
>> salt added tomatoes are. Unbelievably fresh tasting. I'm going to
>> buy that stuff from now on.

> <sigh> I've posted numerous times on how "fresh" tasting the canned "no
> salt added" vegetables in general are!
>
> I dare you to try the others. The ones here that are offered for the
> same price as the crap over-salted ones include peas, corn, spinach and
> green beans. :-)
>
> Welcome to the club!
> I've been using "no salt added" canned veggies now for a few years!
> Everybody here has laughed at me about them.
>
> They are quite amazing actually!

I didn't laugh. I use them all the time. It's amazing how much flavor
comes through when the salt is not there.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2010 4:06 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
>>> always a showstopper for me.
>>>

>> I don't look for sugar, but I know what you mean. Sometimes tomato
>> products can be cloyingly sweet. That hasn't happened to me in the
>> last few years so they must be toning it down. This the Safeway house
>> brand. Looking.... it says sugar on the label, but you can't prove it
>> by me tastewise. It's fresh tasting and delicious.

> Huh. Mine are HEB brand NO SALT ADDED Diced tomatoes.
> Ingredients a
>
> Tomatoes
> Tomato juice
> Citric Acid
> Calcium Chloride
>
> No sugar. :-)

I think the OP was talking about canned *stewed* tomatoes. My HEB no
salt added stewed tomatoes do have a bit of sugar in them, but the
ingredient is listed after tomatoes and tomato juice and right before
the dehydrated onion, etc. so I don't think there is all that much sugar
involved. My DH's blood glucose meter doesn't seem to mind it. I do
give him an accurate carb count based on the label.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2010 7:16 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:43:05 -0700, Dan > wrote:
>
>> Is that "added sugar", as in list of ingredients? Or on the nutritional
>> part of the label?
>>
>> Ripe tomatoes have quite a bit of sugar in them, so even if none is
>> added, it will show on the nutrition label. They are also usually acid
>> (which doesn't have to be shown on the nutrition label), so they don't
>> taste very sweet.

> It's listed in the "ingredients" portion. The nutritional part says
> Sodium: 20mg
> Sugars: 5g
>
> That's one teaspoon of sugar. I can live with it.

Most of that sugar comes from the tomatoes themselves

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> > Tomatoes
> > Tomato juice
> > Citric Acid

> Citric acid is added to increase the pH of the tomatoes as many modern
> tomatoes are low acid.

Wrong. Lemon juice or citric acid is added to LOWER the pH to less than
4.6 to make them safe for boiling water bath processing. I find it
interesting that the NCHFP info says the tomatoes should be acidified
even if they're going to be pressure canned. I might have to ask Dr.
Andress about that.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:57:11 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 8/30/2010 7:16 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:43:05 -0700, Dan > wrote:
> >
> >> Is that "added sugar", as in list of ingredients? Or on the nutritional
> >> part of the label?
> >>
> >> Ripe tomatoes have quite a bit of sugar in them, so even if none is
> >> added, it will show on the nutrition label. They are also usually acid
> >> (which doesn't have to be shown on the nutrition label), so they don't
> >> taste very sweet.

> > It's listed in the "ingredients" portion. The nutritional part says
> > Sodium: 20mg
> > Sugars: 5g
> >
> > That's one teaspoon of sugar. I can live with it.
> >

> Most of that sugar comes from the tomatoes themselves

Thanks for confirming.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:52:35 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I think the OP was talking about canned *stewed* tomatoes.

Correct.

> My HEB no
> salt added stewed tomatoes do have a bit of sugar in them, but the
> ingredient is listed after tomatoes and tomato juice and right before
> the dehydrated onion, etc.

That's where it's listed on my can too. I would have liked to see it
listed after the dehydrated vegetables though.

> so I don't think there is all that much sugar
> involved. My DH's blood glucose meter doesn't seem to mind it. I do
> give him an accurate carb count based on the label.

TY.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 5:06*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> *sf > wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > > Have you found some that don't have sugar added? *That's
> > > always a showstopper for me.

> > I don't look for sugar, but I know what you mean. *Sometimes tomato
> > products can be cloyingly sweet. *That hasn't happened to me in the
> > last few years so they must be toning it down. *This the Safeway house
> > brand. *Looking.... it says sugar on the label, but you can't prove it
> > by me tastewise. *It's fresh tasting and delicious.

> Huh. Mine are HEB brand NO SALT ADDED Diced tomatoes.
> Ingredients a
>
> Tomatoes
> Tomato juice
> Citric Acid
> Calcium Chloride
>
> No sugar. :-)

Sorry, those aren't stewed tomatoes. They're simply canned diced
tomatoes. The recipe that Barb gave (includes celery, onions, bell
peppers) are stewed tomatoes.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote:

>> Huh. Mine are HEB brand NO SALT ADDED Diced tomatoes.
>> Ingredients a
>>
>> Tomatoes
>> Tomato juice
>> Citric Acid
>> Calcium Chloride
>>
>> No sugar. :-)

> Sorry, those aren't stewed tomatoes. They're simply canned diced
> tomatoes. The recipe that Barb gave (includes celery, onions, bell
> peppers) are stewed tomatoes.

I think we've run into thread drift. Sycophant never looked at the Subject
line, just saw that people were talking about tomatoes.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 06:18:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Aug 30, 5:06*pm, Omelet > wrote:
>> In article >,
>>

>> *sf > wrote:
>> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>> > I don't look for sugar, but I know what you mean. *Sometimes tomato
>> > products can be cloyingly sweet. *That hasn't happened to me in the
>> > last few years so they must be toning it down. *This the Safeway house
>> > brand. *Looking.... it says sugar on the label, but you can't prove it
>> > by me tastewise. *It's fresh tasting and delicious.

>> Huh. Mine are HEB brand NO SALT ADDED Diced tomatoes.
>> Ingredients a
>>
>> Tomatoes
>> Tomato juice
>> Citric Acid
>> Calcium Chloride
>>
>> No sugar. :-)

>Sorry, those aren't stewed tomatoes. They're simply canned diced
>tomatoes. The recipe that Barb gave (includes celery, onions, bell
>peppers) are stewed tomatoes.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

There is no singular stewed tomatoes recipe. The tinned version at
the stupidmarket is merely a very basic version that is meant only as
a foundation to build upon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2010 5:17 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Aug 30, 1:44 pm, > wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> > wrote:

>>> Have you found some that don't have sugar added? That's
>>> always a showstopper for me.

>> I don't look for sugar, but I know what you mean. Sometimes tomato
>> products can be cloyingly sweet. That hasn't happened to me in the
>> last few years so they must be toning it down. This the Safeway house
>> brand. Looking.... it says sugar on the label, but you can't prove it
>> by me tastewise. It's fresh tasting and delicious.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

> The last big name brand of stewed tomatoes I bought had high fructose
> corn syrup as an ingredient. I can't figure out why the producers
> think they need to add that stuff to everything!
>
> N.

It sure seems lots of folks no longer like or care about any
flavors/tastes except sugar and salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> In article >,
> George > wrote:
>
> > It sure seems lots of folks no longer like or care about any
> > flavors/tastes except sugar and salt.

> The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it is deliberate. If you add
> enough sugar and salt to food, it is all that people will want. It
> takes a slow acclimatizing to it, though, as the quantities added to
> packaged foods now are jarring to people who aren't accustomed to it.

It's not a flavor per se, but I would also add fat to the mix. Witness
some of the recent culinary abominations of the fast food joints.
Mercifully, some of them have gone the way of Space Food Sticks, but
many remain to wreak havoc.

I'm sure I've told this story here before, but during my clinical
rotations I saw a patient in the hospital for raging high blood
pressure. He'd been to the Parkland (Dallas) ER several times before
for this condition, but nobody had bothered to ask about his normal
consumption of food and drink before I walked into his room. This man
drove a gravel truck around the county. He would stop and get a Big
Gulp at 7-11, drink the soda, THEN shake salt liberally into the
remaining ice and drink the resulting brine. He'd also dip fruit and
veggie slices into salt and eat them, plus add lots of salt at the
table. My back-of-the-envelope calculation estimated that he was
getting at least 7 grams of SODIUM (roughly 1 tablespoon of SALT) per
day. Even if his truck wasn't air-conditioned, nobody needs to
replenish that much sodium per day under normal conditions.

This salt-o-holic phenomenon is not limited to folks at lower income or
education levels, alas. My work partner in crime, a PhD nurse
practitioner, has a salt tooth. When I give her the hairy eyeball about
her salt consumption, her reply is "It's a Southern thing." (Girl lived
in Georgia and Texas for many years.) Is it any wonder that there is a
"Stroke Belt" that encompasses most Southern states?

Cindy, jumping off the soapbox

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

For aem: My Prize-winning stewed tomatoes recipe + recipes for its use Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 25-08-2006 03:29 PM
Stewed Tomatoes Kathryn Preserving 10 02-05-2006 02:55 PM
Maque Choux (Stewed Corn And Tomatoes) Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 27-02-2005 04:49 AM
Maque Choux (Stewed Corn And Tomatoes) Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 27-02-2005 04:49 AM
Prassa Me Domata (leeks Stewed With Tomatoes) 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 08-11-2004 12:17 AM