The Joneses

Michael wrote:

> I made a batch of tomato sauce using romas, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil,
> balsamic vinegar, a bit of sherry, some dried red pepper and a bit of sugar
> and cooked for several hours.
>
> I've already canned a dozen jars or so last week.
>
> I forgot to add some acid.....(I was going to use some vitamin C?).
>
> I was wondering if the Romas alone and the balsamic vinegar may have been
> enough for the hot pack and boiling water canning method?
>
> I'm going to pop open a jar and test the PH but thought for extra safety,
> I'd ask.
>
> I want to live.

Probably okay, but: Ain't no way of telling until you test pH. Depends on
viscosity, amount of other added ingredients, too. Did you know vinegar
evaporates faster than water? Dunno if this concentrates the acid components
tho. Do not test with your teeth. While botulism is rare, it is horrible. Test
with pH strips.
Edrena

zxcvbob

Michael wrote:
> I made a batch of tomato sauce using romas, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil,
> balsamic vinegar, a bit of sherry, some dried red pepper and a bit of sugar
> and cooked for several hours.
>
> I've already canned a dozen jars or so last week.
>
> I forgot to add some acid.....(I was going to use some vitamin C?).
>
> I was wondering if the Romas alone and the balsamic vinegar may have been
> enough for the hot pack and boiling water canning method?
>
> I'm going to pop open a jar and test the PH but thought for extra safety,
> I'd ask.
>
> I want to live.

The basalmic vinegar is acid, and the tomatoes are sort-of-acid. I
don't know how much vinegar you added, but I expect it put it over-the-top.

If I canned them that way, I'd eat them. Since you canned them, I don't
know a lot of details and can't make a good determination.

You do know that you can boil the contents for 10 minutes and render it
safe? Just mark these jars so you know which ones they are when they
get mixed in with the other jars, and use them for cooking.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Michael wrote:
> Yeah...it all was brought to a boil and simmered (bubbling) most of the
> day....I'm a sucker for that deep red, rich tomato sauce.
>
> I did everything else right as far as sterilization etc....my first canning
> effort so want to be safe.
>
> I think it may be alright......didn't know if the roma variety may be
> more/less acidic than other tomatoes.
>
> I'll just open one and buy a good ph tester.

The "boil for 10 minutes" thing is *after* you open the jars -- the
boiling will destroy any botulism toxin that might (very unlikely) be
there. The boiling you did before canning doesn't count.

(I think Roma is less acid than most canning tomatoes)

Bob

~patches~

Michael wrote:

> Yeah...it all was brought to a boil and simmered (bubbling) most of the
> day....I'm a sucker for that deep red, rich tomato sauce.

I am too. I just canned roasted tomato sauce using romas that sounds a
lot like your sauce except it is roasted and had fresh herbs and garlic
in it. I added 1 tbsp lemon juice per jar just to be safe. Citric acid
works too. I understand your concern though since you had intended to
do this and forgot.

> I did everything else right as far as sterilization etc....my first canning
> effort so want to be safe.

Every canning effort should be safe

> I think it may be alright......didn't know if the roma variety may be
> more/less acidic than other tomatoes.

I could be wrong on this but the variety is not the only thing that
affects the acidity of tomatoes. The amount of water and where they are
grown affects acidity too.

> I'll just open one and buy a good ph tester.

That might be your best bet. Alternately, you could reprocess and add
the lemon juice or citric acid. It would mean emptying each jar into a
lg sauce pan and heating your sauce to boiling. Re-sterilize your jars
and rings but use new snap lids. Add lemon juice or citric acid to each
hot jar then refill. Re-do your bwb as before.