KenCo

Default how to air-cured meats

wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm Italian and have been trying to mmic some of the items that my
> parents made years ago.
>
> I have had some success......I have taken store bought italian sausage
> and hung it in the garage to dry....it makes for a tasty snack. I
> also put a piece of pork butt in salt/sugar (3/1) and after 24hrs
> wrapped it in spices then paper and it is hanging in the garage to dry
> for a few months.....it comes out similar to what Italians call
> coppacola.
>
> I would like to make prociutto and peperoni. Does anyone know the
> process? I haven't seen it mentioned here or maybe I've missed them.
>
> TIA

this link has a lot of recipes
http://www.northwestsmoking.com/

if you can find "Portugese Allspice", use it for
the Cappicola, use that and fine red pepper for
a decent taste and stuff tightly into fiborus casings
then smoke it.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

KenCo

wrote:

> Hi Ken
>
> Thanks for the info.......you're right......that link does have a lot
> of recipes!

that'll keep ya busy lol

> I was surprised to see that the prosciutto was smoked.....I didn't
> think it was a smoked meat. Have you made it before?

most are air cured for a long time also.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Ban on cured meats from Italy partially lifted ViLco General Cooking 6 08-08-2013 07:55 PM
Any recipes for Mexican style Cured meats? Gunner[_6_] Mexican Cooking 7 20-08-2007 10:02 PM
Mexican Cured Meats Rhonda Mexican Cooking 9 30-10-2006 05:54 PM
Dry Cured Ham?? Kent Preserving 3 26-07-2006 08:57 PM
Anyone know a group for cured meats? jason molinari General Cooking 11 10-02-2004 02:23 PM