Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Mexican Cured Meats

I notice that allot of pork is used in Mexican cooking. Do Mexicans eat
much in the way of cured meats such as ham and bacon. I do not see it
used in Mexican recipes.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sliced ham and lunch-meat style processed ham are fairly common in the
supermarkets in my part of Mexico; bacon is not. A thin slice of ham
or a few pieces of diced ham are often included on a hamburger. I have
seen bacon on a hamburger. The two most common uses of ham I have
seen, besides on hamburgers, are diced in macaroni and in discada
(http://rollybrook.com/discada.htm). A ham and cheese sandwich is
almost as rare as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have yet to
see bacon and eggs. I have never seen a whole smoked ham.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rolly wrote:
> Sliced ham and lunch-meat style processed ham are fairly common in the
> supermarkets in my part of Mexico; bacon is not. A thin slice of ham
> or a few pieces of diced ham are often included on a hamburger. I have
> seen bacon on a hamburger. The two most common uses of ham I have
> seen, besides on hamburgers, are diced in macaroni and in discada
> (http://rollybrook.com/discada.htm). A ham and cheese sandwich is
> almost as rare as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have yet to
> see bacon and eggs. I have never seen a whole smoked ham.

That's strange, because the Spanish are big eaters of ham and cheese
sandwiches.

If you travel across Spain and pause for lunch, the only sandwich on
the menu will probably be ham and cheese, on a dry roll, no mayonnaise,
no tomato, just ham and cheese.

The tour guide said that he was aware of the wonderful variety of
sandwiches in America, but all there was in Spain was ham and cheese
sandwiches. If you want variety, order cheese and ham instead, he said.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Thanks Rolly. The discada sounds interesting. I will have to try that.
Since bacon and ham are so flavorful, I am am little surprised that they
are not used more widely even in modern day Mexico.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rolly wrote:
> The two most common uses of ham I have
> seen, besides on hamburgers, are diced in macaroni and in discada
> (http://rollybrook.com/discada.htm).

If you make your discada with Spam that has a Spanish label on it, is
it "authentic"
Mexican discada? ;-)

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Been around the block wrote:
> Rolly wrote:
> > The two most common uses of ham I have
> > seen, besides on hamburgers, are diced in macaroni and in discada
> > (http://rollybrook.com/discada.htm).

> If you make your discada with Spam that has a Spanish label on it, is
> it "authentic"
> Mexican discada? ;-)

Hey, we threw the Spanish out a long time ago. The only thing we kept
was their langage and some of their DNA. :-)

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
>I notice that allot of pork is used in Mexican cooking. Do Mexicans eat
> much in the way of cured meats such as ham and bacon. I do not see it
> used in Mexican recipes.

There are very few cured Mexican meats. Cured in the sense of a meat dried
with salt.

Oddly enough there are a few dried Mexican meats. And a few pickles.
Vegetables included.

Enjoy.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rolly wrote:
> Been around the block wrote:

> > If you make your discada with Spam that has a Spanish label on it, is
> > it "authentic"
> > Mexican discada? ;-)

> Hey, we threw the Spanish out a long time ago. The only thing we kept
> was their langage and some of their DNA. :-)

Don't sidestep the question. Your discada page shows the traditional
Mexican concoction being made with *processed ham*, and I don't think
of processed ham as being something that Mexican villagers in the
interior would have had in the Spanish colonial period or before.

Again: If you make your discada with Spam, is it "authentic"?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

I wasn't side stepping your question. I thought is was a quip, so I
answer it with a quip.

I avoid the word authentic. I think it is meaningless when applied to
Mexican food. Mexico is a large country with widely varying cooking
techniques and expectations.

I guess "authentic" is like "beauty" -- in the eye, or taste, of the
beholder.

As for the use of Spam or any kind of processed ham in discada --
personally, I don't like it. Usually, when we have discada for a
party, one of her sons does the cooking over a wood fire outside
without the "ham." I like it much better without, but Señora likes it
with. If we took a vote in the family, I think processed ham would
lose.