FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   how to air-cured meats (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/8573-re-how-air-cured.html)

KenCo 03-02-2004 06:45 PM

how to air-cured meats

wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm Italian and have been trying to mmic some of the items that my
> parents made years ago.
>
> I have had some success......I have taken store bought italian sausage
> and hung it in the garage to dry....it makes for a tasty snack. I
> also put a piece of pork butt in salt/sugar (3/1) and after 24hrs
> wrapped it in spices then paper and it is hanging in the garage to dry
> for a few months.....it comes out similar to what Italians call
> coppacola.
>
> I would like to make prociutto and peperoni. Does anyone know the
> process? I haven't seen it mentioned here or maybe I've missed them.
>
> TIA

this link has a lot of recipes
http://www.northwestsmoking.com/

if you can find "Portugese Allspice", use it for
the Cappicola, use that and fine red pepper for
a decent taste and stuff tightly into fiborus casings
then smoke it.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced ;)

KenCo 05-02-2004 05:14 PM

how to air-cured meats

wrote:

> Hi Ken
>
> Thanks for the info.......you're right......that link does have a lot
> of recipes!

that'll keep ya busy lol

> I was surprised to see that the prosciutto was smoked.....I didn't
> think it was a smoked meat. Have you made it before?

most are air cured for a long time also.

zxcvbob 05-02-2004 05:38 PM

how to air-cured meats

wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm Italian and have been trying to mmic some of the items that my
> parents made years ago.
>
> I have had some success......I have taken store bought italian sausage
> and hung it in the garage to dry....it makes for a tasty snack. I
> also put a piece of pork butt in salt/sugar (3/1) and after 24hrs
> wrapped it in spices then paper and it is hanging in the garage to dry
> for a few months.....it comes out similar to what Italians call
> coppacola.
>
> I would like to make prociutto and peperoni. Does anyone know the
> process? I haven't seen it mentioned here or maybe I've missed them.
>
> TIA

To make the pepperoni, you'll need a salami starter culture. I bought
mine at <http://butcherpacker.com> I use the LHP starter, and I store
the opened packet in the deep freezer. I suspect it will keep for a
couple of years wihtout degrading, even though the web page says 6 months.

Best regards,
Bob