Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Any recipes for Mexican style Cured meats?

Lomo, chorizo, cumbaria, cecina??????

Hopefully, no one confuses cured meats preperation with fresh meat
preferences again as we had happen with the salmon.

There has got to be a many Mexican regional specialities for cured meats
like the Italian , French and German have for such things as Salumi,
stuffed pork leg, Mortadelo, sweet meats, Jamon, etc. I cannot find many
recipes for Mexican charcuterie or Garde Manger yet I am sure there are many
regional varieties that exist.
Any help here? Jack?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Aug 14, 8:21 pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
> Lomo, chorizo, cumbaria, cecina??????
>
> Hopefully, no one confuses cured meats preperation with fresh meat
> preferences again as we had happen with the salmon.
>
> There has got to be a many Mexican regional specialities for cured meats
> like the Italian , French and German have for such things as Salumi,
> stuffed pork leg, Mortadelo, sweet meats, Jamon, etc. I cannot find many
> recipes for Mexican charcuterie or Garde Manger yet I am sure there are many
> regional varieties that exist.
> Any help here? Jack?

Google is yer amigo. I was not able to find a recipe for morcilla..
(blood pudding/boudain noir)

http://www.mexican-barbecue-recipes....zo-recipe.html

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"tbs48" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Aug 14, 8:21 pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
>> Lomo, chorizo, cumbaria, cecina??????
>>
>> Hopefully, no one confuses cured meats preperation with fresh meat
>> preferences again as we had happen with the salmon.
>>
>> There has got to be a many Mexican regional specialities for cured meats
>> like the Italian , French and German have for such things as Salumi,
>> stuffed pork leg, Mortadelo, sweet meats, Jamon, etc. I cannot find many
>> recipes for Mexican charcuterie or Garde Manger yet I am sure there are
>> many
>> regional varieties that exist.
>> Any help here? Jack?

> Google is yer amigo. I was not able to find a recipe for morcilla..
> (blood pudding/boudain noir)
>
> http://www.mexican-barbecue-recipes....zo-recipe.html

Thanks for the link T. I am pretty familiar with research on the
internet, what I am looking for are the little home tricks or regional
varieties folks know of. little different fruits, different binders, unique
spice or spice combs, ...you get the pic.

This is a good read and has some of the many National Variations of Blood
sausages: http://www.sausagelinks.co.uk/black_pudding.asp

Speaking of Chorizo, a while back some folks at RFC were citing Wikipedia
as the authority that it had to have lips and glands and no muscle meat to
be "authentic Mexican style" Chorizo. Another asinine "authentic" post.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Aug 16, 10:42 am, "Gunner" > wrote:
> "tbs48" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Aug 14, 8:21 pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
> >> Lomo, chorizo, cumbaria, cecina??????

> >> Hopefully, no one confuses cured meats preperation with fresh meat
> >> preferences again as we had happen with the salmon.

> >> There has got to be a many Mexican regional specialities for cured meats
> >> like the Italian , French and German have for such things as Salumi,
> >> stuffed pork leg, Mortadelo, sweet meats, Jamon, etc. I cannot find many
> >> recipes for Mexican charcuterie or Garde Manger yet I am sure there are
> >> many
> >> regional varieties that exist.
> >> Any help here? Jack?

> > Google is yer amigo. I was not able to find a recipe for morcilla..
> > (blood pudding/boudain noir)

> >http://www.mexican-barbecue-recipes....zo-recipe.html

> Thanks for the link T. I am pretty familiar with research on the
> internet, what I am looking for are the little home tricks or regional
> varieties folks know of. little different fruits, different binders, unique
> spice or spice combs, ...you get the pic.

When I have access to a KitchenAid, I have the sausage accessories and
use Penelope Casas' Spanish chorizo recipe, but pack it loosely..
works for me.

> This is a good read and has some of the many National Variations of Blood
> sausages: http://www.sausagelinks.co.uk/black_pudding.asp

Huh. I'll show my buddy who is a Yorkshireman of Ukrainian extraction.
He's telling me about the weird things he ate as a kid. Like pigbag.
And brawn.

> Speaking of Chorizo, a while back some folks at RFC were citing Wikipedia
> as the authority that it had to have lips and glands and no muscle meat to
> be "authentic Mexican style" Chorizo. Another asinine "authentic" post.-

Is this similar to "true" andouille being a stuffed gut link, stuffed
with chopped intestines?

T.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"tbs48" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Aug 14, 8:21 pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
> > Lomo, chorizo, cumbaria, cecina??????
> >
> > Hopefully, no one confuses cured meats preperation with fresh meat
> > preferences again as we had happen with the salmon.
> >
> > There has got to be a many Mexican regional specialities for cured meats
> > like the Italian , French and German have for such things as Salumi,
> > stuffed pork leg, Mortadelo, sweet meats, Jamon, etc. I cannot find

many
> > recipes for Mexican charcuterie or Garde Manger yet I am sure there are

many
> > regional varieties that exist.
> > Any help here? Jack?

> Google is yer amigo. I was not able to find a recipe for morcilla..
> (blood pudding/boudain noir)
>
> http://www.mexican-barbecue-recipes....zo-recipe.html

In my three years of in-depth consulting with the Grupo Gigante, I learned
that the salchichoneria departments were operated by outside vendors and the
supermarket itself could not care less. But there were usually a lot of
people behind the counter for the very few actual buyers most of the time.

Personally, half of my 72 years has been living or working in Mexico and
ham, queso de cabeza, chorizo and the like have played an insignificant role
in the foods. Mostly chorizo is used in scrambled eggs. Period. Then sliced
ham and other deli stuff is used to make a torta or American style sandwich.

Mostly the people who buy sausage and the like are European. The Italians
heavy into their sausages... Jewish into their Kosher stuff which was one of
Gigante's major hits - setting up a major deli in Polanco's major store
catering to the very populous Jewish community in the city.

Out in the country blood sausage and chorizo dominate. I love a blood
sausage taco!

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

I learned that the salchichoneria departments were operated .....

Ahhh, Thank you Wayne, I have been searching through the Carnicerķas,
should have been the Salchichoneria, I will pick thru here.

> ham, queso de cabeza, chorizo and the like have played an insignificant
> role in the foods. Mostly chorizo is used in scrambled eggs. Period. Then
> sliced ham and other deli stuff is used to make a torta or American style
> sandwich.

That was similiar to Tex/NM Oil field country as I was
growing up, bit different around South Central Texas near the German
communities,but sausage was Jimmy Dean breakfast ( nothing but ground pork
and a name brand), Polish or smoked links and Hot Links. Not much difference
in the smoked and Polish except the amount and size of fat/gristle and the
hotlinks were
just a big hot dog with cayenne and more gristle. Course you had Texas
Round
Steak(Bologna) and " vi-einers". Still remember those fried bologna
sandwiches quite well.

> Mostly the people who buy sausage and the like are European. The Italians
> heavy into their sausages... Jewish into their Kosher stuff which was one
> of Gigante's major hits - setting up a major deli in Polanco's major
> store
> catering to the very populous Jewish community in the city.

and then there is the Lebanese al Pastore rotisserie thing which kinda
caught on. Wish these things would be approved here in the US.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Aug 18, 12:04 am, "Gunner" > wrote:
> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> That was similiar to Tex/NM Oil field country as I was
> growing up, bit different around South Central Texas near the German
> communities,but sausage was Jimmy Dean breakfast ( nothing but ground pork
> and a name brand), Polish or smoked links and Hot Links. Not much difference
> in the smoked and Polish except the amount and size of fat/gristle

Our band once had a videotaping session in the early 80s in Granger,
Texas. This is a Czech
community about 1/3 of the way from Austin to Waco. We were hungry and
found there were
three family meat markets in the burg, all of which did a couple of
types of Czech sausage. We
fired up the grill behind the studio and cooked a sample (about a
pound or so) of each type..
all of which were excellent.

> and the hotlinks were just a big hot dog with cayenne and more gristle.
> Course you had Texas Round Steak(Bologna) and " vi-einers". Still remember
> those fried bologna sandwiches quite well.

Here in Richmond, VA, the "baloneyburger" is a menu item. They use
about a 1/2" slice..

> > Mostly the people who buy sausage and the like are European. The Italians
> > heavy into their sausages... Jewish into their Kosher stuff which was one
> > of Gigante's major hits - setting up a major deli in Polanco's major
> > store
> > catering to the very populous Jewish community in the city.

> and then there is the Lebanese al Pastore rotisserie thing which kinda
> caught on. Wish these things would be approved here in the US.

They aren't? I've seen the gyros device in Greek places on the East
Coast in use..
just last month, too in Philadelphia..

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"tbs48" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 18, 12:04 am, "Gunner" > wrote:
>> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

>> That was similiar to Tex/NM Oil field country as I was
>> growing up, bit different around South Central Texas near the German
>> communities,but sausage was Jimmy Dean breakfast ( nothing but ground
>> pork
>> and a name brand), Polish or smoked links and Hot Links. Not much
>> difference
>> in the smoked and Polish except the amount and size of fat/gristle

> Our band once had a videotaping session in the early 80s in Granger,
> Texas. This is a Czech
> community about 1/3 of the way from Austin to Waco. We were hungry and
> found there were
> three family meat markets in the burg, all of which did a couple of
> types of Czech sausage. We
> fired up the grill behind the studio and cooked a sample (about a
> pound or so) of each type..
> all of which were excellent.
>
>> and the hotlinks were just a big hot dog with cayenne and more gristle.
>> Course you had Texas Round Steak(Bologna) and " vi-einers". Still
>> remember
>> those fried bologna sandwiches quite well.
>>

> Here in Richmond, VA, the "baloneyburger" is a menu item. They use
> about a 1/2" slice..
>>

>> > Mostly the people who buy sausage and the like are European. The
>> > Italians
>> > heavy into their sausages... Jewish into their Kosher stuff which was
>> > one
>> > of Gigante's major hits - setting up a major deli in Polanco's major
>> > store
>> > catering to the very populous Jewish community in the city.

>> and then there is the Lebanese al Pastore rotisserie thing which kinda
>> caught on. Wish these things would be approved here in the US.

> They aren't? I've seen the gyros device in Greek places on the East
> Coast in use..
> just last month, too in Philadelphia..

Granger huh? I do like the Hill country, seems like you cross over to the
Permain Basin and it is an entire different world from the rest of Texas.
Oil Cowboys.

Emeril did a baked Bologna about 3-4 lbs, that was interesting, scored it
and used a mustard/brown sugar glaze to cook it like a ham, looked pretty
good if you are not a food snob. He was thinking out loud and wondered what
a Mortadella would be like cooked that way. Now that might be interesting
and to take it one step furher I saw a emulisified sausage with a pork loin
cooked in the middle that might be interesting to try that way.

The vertical rotisserie? Some places claim they are not an issue, mostly
back east, some places like here in the PNW they are, I don't recall seeing
any in the SW. The reason I was told is " Health Dept Regulations require
the internal temp of meat must be cooked to 145 F and held there......."
the dripping of the raw juices, blah, blah..... The VRconcept just does
not do that so I think it is a mental thing to Health Depts. When I asked
about gyros I was told those places do a work-around by trimming the meat
off and quick grilling it to kill any bad bugs, True or not? I don't
believe it besides it ruins the whole flavor and uniquiness of the thing.
My thoughts are that places which have old school ethnic neighbors such as
your referenced Greek places do not seem to have a problem with the vertical
rotisserie, but if it is Mexican, it cannot be good. A social pecking order
thing. I would be curious to see what your local Health Dept would say.
send them an email and ask.

Here is a quick explaination I had in research files:

On the original topic: a recent review by Walsh in the Houston Press pointed
out we are not allowed to eat authentic tacos al pastor in Houston because
of Health Department regulations. Authentically, the meat (trompo) put on
the spit should be raw and be cooked on the spit; Health Dept. won't allow
that because of the possibility or undercooked meat being served, so
restaurants have to cook the meat in advance, keep it in the fridge, then
slice it and warm it/crisp it up on the griddle before serving, which
unfortunately often results in tough, overcooked meat.

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/342932

I ask my local HD and was told essentailly the same thing.

Perphical research info:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag... 2C0A964948260