LIMEYNO1

Default Foodsaver Question

I do all the time.

> wrote in message
news

> Foodsaver question: The Tilia website says
>
> ----------------
> Q: Can liquids be vacuum packaged?
> A: Yes. You can keep wine at its peak or freeze your
> favorite soups, stews and sauces.
>
> -----------------
>
> Since the bags are microwaveable and boilable, it would be
> very handy to freeze soups or stews using the foodsaver.
>
> Is this actually true? Can you really package liquids?
>
> Thanks.
> Pat
> --
> To email me, remove the trap and type my first
> name in its place.
>
> "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of
> supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to
> live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry

Mark S' \(goatlike\)

> wrote in message
news

> Foodsaver question: The Tilia website says
>
> ----------------
> Q: Can liquids be vacuum packaged?
> A: Yes. You can keep wine at its peak or freeze your
> favorite soups, stews and sauces.
>
> -----------------
>
> Since the bags are microwaveable and boilable, it would be
> very handy to freeze soups or stews using the foodsaver.
>
> Is this actually true? Can you really package liquids?
>
> Thanks.
> Pat

Hey Pat,

Are Jars outta the question? I've vaccu-jarred my chili and corn chowder in
wide mouth half pint jars and stick em in the freezer. Works great! I take
em straight from the freezer into the nuker and heat em up slowly. A minute
under the waves then a rest for a minute or so... it ain't rocket science, I
just don't want to heat it up too quickly (I cherish my jars). I've done a
jerky marinade in a bag, but some liquid made it into the liquid trap. Not
a lot, but enough to make me think twice about doing it again. Jerky came
out great, btw.

--
Mark W. Stevens
www.goatlike.com - unusual watercolors

Marie Martinek

In article >, Dan Logcher > wrote:

>I was thinking of doing this for milk. I hate running out of milk and
>not having any for my morning coffee. How well do you think milk would
>handle being frozen for a month or two?
>
>BTW, I've been freezing liquid marinade with meats this way for a while.
>I find when the meats thaw, they draw in the liquid marinade.

1% lo-fat and skim milk freeze just fine. 2% and whole, you un-do the
homogenization, and get milkfat floating on the top. Well, you do with the
1% as well, but it's so little that we just shake the container before we
pour it.

But why would you vaccuum seal the milk? Just pop the gallon in the
freezer, and the plastic forms that are "innies" will become "outies" as it
freezes and expands. If you don't want as much as a gallon, decant into
other plastic containers (leave 10% headspace) and put the lid on loosely
until it freezes.

We buy 3-4 gallons whenever we go to the store (we hates shopping, we hates
it!), decant and freeze it for up to 2 months.

--
Marie Martinek
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA