Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Foodsaver question

Many years ago I purchased a Tilia Foodsaver at a thrift store. It was
the wonderful old model, made in Italy, with adjustments for sealing and
vacuuming time, as well as manual witches for both functions.

Eventually the sealing strip stopped getting hot and that was the end of
it. I then purchased a newer model. Made in Chine, with no adjustments.
It think it is a model 825. It is pretty junky.

It has started to work badly and I might want to replace it. I would
love to find an old one similar to what I had, but I fear that is not
going to happen.

I don't want to spend much money and wonder if there are any suggestions.
Another brand would be fine, as long as I can still use my large backlog
of Foodsaver bags. Using the canisters is no problem since I have the
separate canister sealer.

Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Jerry Bank wrote:

> Many years ago I purchased a Tilia Foodsaver at a thrift store. It was
> the wonderful old model, made in Italy, with adjustments for sealing and
> vacuuming time, as well as manual witches for both functions.
>
> Eventually the sealing strip stopped getting hot and that was the end of
> it. I then purchased a newer model. Made in Chine, with no adjustments.
> It think it is a model 825. It is pretty junky.
>
> It has started to work badly and I might want to replace it. I would
> love to find an old one similar to what I had, but I fear that is not
> going to happen.
>
> I don't want to spend much money and wonder if there are any suggestions.
> Another brand would be fine, as long as I can still use my large backlog
> of Foodsaver bags. Using the canisters is no problem since I have the
> separate canister sealer.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> --
> Jerry Bank
> Trenton, New Jersey
> Music is the language of the gods.

Perhaps try a "Seal-a-Meal" version for a vacuum sealer?? I'm not sure
if they can be found any longer (?), but I've had a few over the years.
The previous one suffered the same symptom yours did with a failed
sealing wire. The parent company of "Seal-a-Meal" replaced it with one
-- wanna guess?? -- made in China. This current VS doesn't have the
'manual' operation as the former model had, too! I miss those features.
If there's a Tuesday Morning store nearby, it might be worthwhile to
visit. They often have Foodsavers at considerable discount.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:35:01 -0500, Jerry Bank >
wrote:

>Many years ago I purchased a Tilia Foodsaver at a thrift store. It was
>the wonderful old model, made in Italy, with adjustments for sealing and
>vacuuming time, as well as manual witches for both functions.
>
>Eventually the sealing strip stopped getting hot and that was the end of
>it. I then purchased a newer model. Made in Chine, with no adjustments.
>It think it is a model 825. It is pretty junky.
>
>It has started to work badly and I might want to replace it. I would
>love to find an old one similar to what I had, but I fear that is not
>going to happen.
>
>I don't want to spend much money and wonder if there are any suggestions.
>Another brand would be fine, as long as I can still use my large backlog
>of Foodsaver bags. Using the canisters is no problem since I have the
>separate canister sealer.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.

Check out the available models here.
http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.asp...+TOP_CLICKHERE

Tiny URL:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ygv6ebd

They often have excellent prices here. I doubt that you will find a
one that is not made in China. I have given up on expecting anything
to work or last as well as the items I bought 20+ years ago.

After you see what is available, you can check prices elsewhere.

I am on their mailing list and get offers from them. I recently
bought a "backup" that has everything my V2490 from Costco has except
the pause function for about $60. I don't remember the last time I
used that function so I consider it a great deal.

The "Dennis the Menace" comic this morning is priceless. He says
"If God made everything he must live in China."

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"The Cook" > wrote in message

> The "Dennis the Menace" comic this morning is priceless. He says
> "If God made everything he must live in China."
>
> --
> Susan N.

Today I was in TJ Max looking at some of their All-Clad and Copper 2 qt.
pans. I ran into a young lady (perhaps 40 +/- who had never had an enameled
pan and didn't know that you could cook on the top of the stove with them.
She was adamant about not buying from China.

TJ's had a few Le Creuset and Cuisinart, and on a separate aisle ONE Staub
which I turned her on to, a 6 qt. beauty for $49, a minor flaw on a handle.
I hope she bought it! I think maybe she did; she gave me a big bear hug
;-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:08:23 -0500, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:

>TJ's had a few Le Creuset and Cuisinart, and on a separate aisle ONE Staub
>which I turned her on to, a 6 qt. beauty for $49, a minor flaw on a handle.

Please -- don't tell me it was a black one, for $49! Auggghhhh!!!!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:08:23 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>
>>TJ's had a few Le Creuset and Cuisinart, and on a separate aisle ONE
>>Staub
>>which I turned her on to, a 6 qt. beauty for $49, a minor flaw on a
>>handle.

> Please -- don't tell me it was a black one, for $49! Auggghhhh!!!!
>
> -- Larry

It was sort of black -- kind of off-black.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .

>> The "Dennis the Menace" comic this morning is priceless. He says
>> "If God made everything he must live in China."
>>
>> --
>> Susan N.

>Today I was in TJ Max looking at some of their All-Clad and Copper 2 qt.
>pans. I ran into a young lady (perhaps 40 +/- who had never had an enameled
>pan and didn't know that you could cook on the top of the stove with them.
>She was adamant about not buying from China.
>
>TJ's had a few Le Creuset and Cuisinart, and on a separate aisle ONE Staub
>which I turned her on to, a 6 qt. beauty for $49, a minor flaw on a handle.
>I hope she bought it! I think maybe she did; she gave me a big bear hug

Might be careful about Staub, too. I found some Staub items at Tuesday
Morning while looking for a soup pot for my induction hob, and, IIRC,
they were made in China. Didn't buy any.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:08:23 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> The "Dennis the Menace" comic this morning is priceless. He says
>>> "If God made everything he must live in China."
>>>
>>> --
>>> Susan N.

>>Today I was in TJ Max looking at some of their All-Clad and Copper 2 qt.
>>pans. I ran into a young lady (perhaps 40 +/- who had never had an
>>enameled
>>pan and didn't know that you could cook on the top of the stove with them.
>>She was adamant about not buying from China.
>>
>>TJ's had a few Le Creuset and Cuisinart, and on a separate aisle ONE
>>Staub
>>which I turned her on to, a 6 qt. beauty for $49, a minor flaw on a
>>handle.
>>I hope she bought it! I think maybe she did; she gave me a big bear hug

> Might be careful about Staub, too. I found some Staub items at Tuesday
> Morning while looking for a soup pot for my induction hob, and, IIRC,
> they were made in China. Didn't buy any.
>
> Alex

What made me a little leary was the stamped on the bottom "Made in France."
I'm not familiar with Staub enough to know whether its products stamp into
the base.