dfgdfg

Default Vacuum Packaging *vs* Canning

Which is better for preserving buds?

http://www.tilia.com

Bob Davidson

"dfgdfg" > wrote in message
> Which is better for preserving buds?
>
> http://www.tilia.com

never heard of canning???,, this all depends on how you have dried your
pot,, to what degree,, if their is alot of moisture in your buds,, like the
stalks bend easy not snap!!!!,, they could mold in the bag,, sealed.

i know the vacuum sealer extracts lots of moisture too, in the sealing
process,,

i would go for the bagged vacuum sealer as you can LOOK at your weed thru
the clear plastic,, and actually sort of rip open any bud to look for signs
of mold!!!! in a sealed can you cant see the buds and have to guess whats
goin on inside.

bobD

Tie Dyed Troll

> "dfgdfg" > wrote in message
>> Which is better for preserving buds?
>>
>> http://www.tilia.com
>>

> never heard of canning???,, this all depends on how you have dried your
> pot,, to what degree,, if their is alot of moisture in your buds,, like the
> stalks bend easy not snap!!!!,, they could mold in the bag,, sealed.
>
> i know the vacuum sealer extracts lots of moisture too, in the sealing
> process,,
>
> i would go for the bagged vacuum sealer as you can LOOK at your weed thru
> the clear plastic,, and actually sort of rip open any bud to look for signs
> of mold!!!! in a sealed can you cant see the buds and have to guess whats
> goin on inside.
>
> bobD

whenever you store anything in mason jars if you warm the jars before
filling and thentighten the lids real good you are effectivly canning
when i open a jar thats been stored the seal button pops

--
"In a time of universal deceit, TELLING THE TRUTH is a revolutionary act".
George Orwell

moi

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:40:31 GMT, Tie Dyed Troll
> wrote:

>whenever you store anything in mason jars if you warm the jars before
>filling and thentighten the lids real good you are effectivly canning
>when i open a jar thats been stored the seal button pops

Old style maison jars? The ones that us a separate elastic (mostly
red) thingie as a joint?

You better watch out, it's stated a few weeks back that toxic
material from the joint gets drawn into the jar and thus
contaminating its content (i seem to remember it was highly
toxic)

--

joachim, son of marklar and the wrongdoer

your friendly neighbour, from hell

"ET phone home" ET - 1982

These are usenet words, if there is a possibility that
you are offended by usenet words or that usenet words
somehow hurt your feelings, please seek professional
help or use your killfile.

(mind if i lubricate my soul for a second)
because only *that* is keeping me alive
(l&g's, this is how vital weed is pour moi)

Let's get it over with: www.vhemt.org
NoSleep

"moi" > spewed forth this idiocy:

> Old style maison jars? The ones that us a separate elastic (mostly
> red) thingie as a joint?
>
> You better watch out, it's stated a few weeks back that toxic
> material from the joint gets drawn into the jar and thus
> contaminating its content (i seem to remember it was highly
> toxic)

The red plastic thingie is a rubber seal on antique mason jars. Totally not
toxic. Dig your brain out of the toilet and put it to use.

Tie Dyed Troll

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:40:31 GMT, Tie Dyed Troll
> > wrote:
>
>> whenever you store anything in mason jars if you warm the jars before
>> filling and thentighten the lids real good you are effectivly canning
>> when i open a jar thats been stored the seal button pops

> Old style maison jars? The ones that us a separate elastic (mostly
> red) thingie as a joint?
>
> You better watch out, it's stated a few weeks back that toxic
> material from the joint gets drawn into the jar and thus
> contaminating its content (i seem to remember it was highly
> toxic)

i dont know about that
mom used to use them to can EVERYTHING if they are toxic i;m in deep shit i
must have eaten from 10,000,00000000000 of those jars for 48 years

where did you see that? i'd like to read the info

peace
fuzzy

> --
>
> joachim, son of marklar and the wrongdoer
>
> your friendly neighbour, from hell
>

> "ET phone home" ET - 1982
>
> These are usenet words, if there is a possibility that
> you are offended by usenet words or that usenet words
> somehow hurt your feelings, please seek professional
> help or use your killfile.
>
> (mind if i lubricate my soul for a second)
> because only *that* is keeping me alive
> (l&g's, this is how vital weed is pour moi)
>
> Let's get it over with: www.vhemt.org

---
Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a
theft from those who hunger and are not fed,
those who are cold and are not clothed.
-- Dwight Eisenhower

Bud Burner

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:40:54 GMT, Tie Dyed Troll
> wrote:

>> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:40:31 GMT, Tie Dyed Troll
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> whenever you store anything in mason jars if you warm the jars before
>>> filling and thentighten the lids real good you are effectivly canning
>>> when i open a jar thats been stored the seal button pops

>> Old style maison jars? The ones that us a separate elastic (mostly
>> red) thingie as a joint?
>>
>> You better watch out, it's stated a few weeks back that toxic
>> material from the joint gets drawn into the jar and thus
>> contaminating its content (i seem to remember it was highly
>> toxic)
>>

>i dont know about that
>mom used to use them to can EVERYTHING if they are toxic i;m in deep shit i
>must have eaten from 10,000,00000000000 of those jars for 48 years
>
>where did you see that? i'd like to read the info
>
>peace
>fuzzy

Yeah, same here. I'd be a toxic waste dump with legs if that
were the case. We canned literally hundreds of pints of jam and jelly
and probably hundreds of quarts of fruits like
pears/peaches/applesauce/rhubarb/etc. Only effect noted from canning
was huge savings on the grocery bills.
I just hope the process of canning involves more than just the
warming that was described though; usually, the jars are dunked in
boiling water to both warm the jar and sanitize them before they are
filled with hot final contents as fully as they can be filled. Lids
and seals promptly installed tightly, and then when it's all done make
a sandwich and start counting the loud snaps as the lids are sucked
down from the vacuum created from the cooling contents. If you don't
get enough snaps, you go around and tap the lids with a spoon until
you get one that has a dull sound and that's the one that didn't seal.
You use that one right away and the rest are good for keeping in a
cool dark place.
Canning used to be a necessity for those of us who grew up out
in the rural areas. We had a huge garden that provided enough veggies
for an entire year if they were properly preserved or stored.
Anyone remember melting parafin wax to seal the tops of the
fruit preserves before the lids wers put on? That made for an airtight
seal and made sure no air was trapped in the jar that was in contact
with the foodstuffs.
Now, if that was being referred to as a storage method for
bud, that's another thing. Using a jar that was heated and filled with
as much bud as you can cram in will pull a slight vacuum when cooled.
However, this isn't much of a vacuum and you could do lots better with
one of those vacuum packaging kits you see advertised on tv. It will
pull a better vacuum in the mason jar which will remove more air from
around the bud and help to preserve it. Storing bud in this method
really does help it keep it's taste and potency longer when kept in a
cool place away from light. Also, being glass instead of the typical
plastic ziplock freezer bag, it's airtight and your freezer won't
smell like bud if you put it there. Almost all of those plastic
freezer bags seem to be porous to odor.
BudBurner

In rec.food.preserving dfgdfg > wrote:
> Which is better for preserving buds?

> http://www.tilia.com

You need to be careful about crushing them, if you value aesthetics.
Using a canning jar for the popcorn buds works well, if you draw out the
air and freeze them.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Advantages of Vacuum Sealing vs non vacuum Sealerdave General Cooking 4 14-09-2009 06:28 PM
How to vacuum seal small canning jars Gizmofiddler Preserving 5 15-11-2008 05:52 AM
Packaging [email protected] Baking 1 14-10-2006 06:12 AM
Vacuum sealed plastic bag of fresh cream in refrigerator---Vacuum disappears? John Decker Preserving 3 05-07-2004 08:06 PM
Vacuum sealed plastic bag of fresh cream peas in refrigerator---Vacuum disappears? John Decker Cooking Equipment 1 02-07-2004 04:44 AM