Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default How to vacuum seal small canning jars

I have made some really neat discoveries.
I haven't frequented this group much, so don't know if anyone else has found
that you can use small jelly canning jars with low "shoulders" for vacuum
sealing. The problem is getting an airtight seal with the foodsaver jar
sealer tool so it can build up a vacuum inside of the jar. This can be done
by using a couple of those colorful rubber wrist bands you find almost
anywhere - usually to represent various charity groups or causes. I wrap a
couple of bands (I have a small one and a slightly larger one) over the edge
of the jar right where the seal ring would go - on the jar shoulder. The
vacuum tool can now get a complete and tight seal. You may have to twist it
or wet it a little to make a seal. You'll hear the familiar lid 'pop' when
all is sealed.

If you REALLY want a tight seal, use one of those $40 handpump brake
bleeding tools as well (or instead of a foodsaver machine). You would still
need to get the foodsaver jar sealing attachment.

I also use a small air chamber between the sealing machine and the jar in
case some liquid goes into the line - there should be a 1 inch air gap, but
sometimes things happen... the 6" air chamber is available at most medical
supply places - they have them to collect condensation in oxygen tubing. I'm
not sure what they actually call them. Grab a little oxygen tubing while
you're there - the kind that doesn't have the ridges inside so you can get a
seal with it.

~Tom

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:09:50 -0600, "Gizmofiddler"
> wrote:

>I have made some really neat discoveries.
>I haven't frequented this group much, so don't know if anyone else has found
>that you can use small jelly canning jars with low "shoulders" for vacuum
>sealing. The problem is getting an airtight seal with the foodsaver jar
>sealer tool so it can build up a vacuum inside of the jar. This can be done
>by using a couple of those colorful rubber wrist bands you find almost
>anywhere - usually to represent various charity groups or causes. I wrap a
>couple of bands (I have a small one and a slightly larger one) over the edge
>of the jar right where the seal ring would go - on the jar shoulder. The
>vacuum tool can now get a complete and tight seal. You may have to twist it
>or wet it a little to make a seal. You'll hear the familiar lid 'pop' when
>all is sealed.
>
>If you REALLY want a tight seal, use one of those $40 handpump brake
>bleeding tools as well (or instead of a foodsaver machine). You would still
>need to get the foodsaver jar sealing attachment.
>
> I also use a small air chamber between the sealing machine and the jar in
>case some liquid goes into the line - there should be a 1 inch air gap, but
>sometimes things happen... the 6" air chamber is available at most medical
>supply places - they have them to collect condensation in oxygen tubing. I'm
>not sure what they actually call them. Grab a little oxygen tubing while
>you're there - the kind that doesn't have the ridges inside so you can get a
>seal with it.
>
>~Tom

Some jars and some lids do not seal properly regardless of anything
you do other that glue them on.

The advice from the Foodsaver people is to warm the lids to soften the
rubber. If you still have problems, put an extra lid on when you
seal. It will hold the lids tighter to the jar.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:09:50 -0600, "Gizmofiddler"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have made some really neat discoveries.
>>I haven't frequented this group much, so don't know if anyone else has
>>found
>>that you can use small jelly canning jars with low "shoulders" for vacuum
>>sealing. The problem is getting an airtight seal with the foodsaver jar
>>sealer tool so it can build up a vacuum inside of the jar. This can be
>>done
>>by using a couple of those colorful rubber wrist bands you find almost
>>anywhere - usually to represent various charity groups or causes. I wrap a
>>couple of bands (I have a small one and a slightly larger one) over the
>>edge
>>of the jar right where the seal ring would go - on the jar shoulder. The
>>vacuum tool can now get a complete and tight seal. You may have to twist
>>it
>>or wet it a little to make a seal. You'll hear the familiar lid 'pop' when
>>all is sealed.
>>
>>If you REALLY want a tight seal, use one of those $40 handpump brake
>>bleeding tools as well (or instead of a foodsaver machine). You would
>>still
>>need to get the foodsaver jar sealing attachment.
>>
>> I also use a small air chamber between the sealing machine and the jar in
>>case some liquid goes into the line - there should be a 1 inch air gap,
>>but
>>sometimes things happen... the 6" air chamber is available at most medical
>>supply places - they have them to collect condensation in oxygen tubing.
>>I'm
>>not sure what they actually call them. Grab a little oxygen tubing while
>>you're there - the kind that doesn't have the ridges inside so you can get
>>seal with it.
>>
>>~Tom
>>

> Some jars and some lids do not seal properly regardless of anything
> you do other that glue them on.
>
> The advice from the Foodsaver people is to warm the lids to soften the
> rubber. If you still have problems, put an extra lid on when you
> seal. It will hold the lids tighter to the jar.

I frequently use the extra lid method with small lids, but not so much with
big lids. My fav method for pesto.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> Some jars and some lids do not seal properly regardless of anything
> you do other that glue them on.
>
> The advice from the Foodsaver people is to warm the lids to soften the
> rubber. If you still have problems, put an extra lid on when you
> seal. It will hold the lids tighter to the jar.

Yes, I know about that. But this is for jars that Foodsaver did NOT measure
for or make a jar sealer for. You know - those small jelly jars with the
designs on the glass, etc...

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Heres a youtube that shows a way that you can seal odd sized jar using
the canister with the Foodsaver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSKglOqP5xA
Connie TC

Gizmofiddler wrote:
>> Some jars and some lids do not seal properly regardless of anything
>> you do other that glue them on.
>>
>> The advice from the Foodsaver people is to warm the lids to soften the
>> rubber. If you still have problems, put an extra lid on when you
>> seal. It will hold the lids tighter to the jar.

> Yes, I know about that. But this is for jars that Foodsaver did NOT measure
> for or make a jar sealer for. You know - those small jelly jars with the
> designs on the glass, etc...

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Connie TenClay" > wrote in message
> Heres a youtube that shows a way that you can seal odd sized jar using the
> canister with the Foodsaver.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSKglOqP5xA
> Connie TC

Thank you for sharing that! I will try it that way - seems easier than the
ways I suggested above.