John Decker

Default Vacuum sealed plastic bag of fresh cream peas in refrigerator---Vacuum disappears?

Question:

I just shelled some fresh cream peas and vacuum sealed them in a plastic bag and
placed them in the refrigerator and noticed that after a day the vacuum sealed
bags no long contained a vacuum. What has happened? What can I do to prevent
vacuum sealed fresh cream peas from nullifying the vacuum in a sealed plastic
bag. I presume that some type of gas was formed by the peas that destroyed the
vacuum? I do not want to blanch the peas, I prefer them fresh in a vacuum sealed
bag stored in the refrigerator (not freezer) for about a week before I consume
them. In other word how do I prevent the vacuum in a sealed plastic bag from
being destroyed by the cream peas while in the refrigerator?

John Decker

Dave Bugg

John Decker wrote:

> Question:

Unless the bag is specifically designed to hold a vacuum, it won't. Could
that be the problem?