Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Packaging

I am interested in starting a web-based commercial baking company. My
first product line will be brownies and I would like to get ideas on
how best to package product. This will start as a home-based business
so I don't want a large commercial machine. I thought there might be
some type of counter top machine that would be sufficient until things
get going.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 13 Oct 2006 20:03:22 -0700, > wrote:
> I am interested in starting a web-based commercial baking company. My
> first product line will be brownies and I would like to get ideas on
> how best to package product. This will start as a home-based business
> so I don't want a large commercial machine. I thought there might be
> some type of counter top machine that would be sufficient until things
> get going.

I have two suggestions for you. One is to talk to your local health
inspector to find out what the requirements are to open such a
business. Get on their good side early. The attitide to take with
the health inspectors is that you and they are a team working to make
the best possible brownies and such and that their input is essential
to you. That attitude smooths many obstacles. Don't even say
anything like "they're overbearing clueless beauracrats" in your
sleep.

Next, look into joining a professional group like the Bread Bakers
Guild of America. Their members have been down this road before and
will want to help you and give you good advice. When I started my
bakery, I found their help invaluable, and the help in usenet mostly
of entertainment value. (That wasn't true of all the usenet people,
but separating the wheat from the chaff took a while.)

A final suggestion/question. Is your main interest in baking or
having a business? You can always contract with other, licensed and
inspected, bakeries to produce and wrap your product for you.

Mike

Tofu Packaging eva smith Vegan 0 11-06-2012 10:20 AM
Weird packaging James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 25 22-11-2009 03:52 AM
Succumbing to Packaging aem General Cooking 20 05-04-2006 12:07 AM
Packaging Question mary General Cooking 6 22-05-2004 03:56 AM