hombrewdude

Default Where do I get a crock from? Looking for 1 gal

I want to do some pepper sauce and some pickles

Looks like I need to get a crock

Any suggestions on where to look??

Probably 1 gal or 2 gal???

thanks!!

Dwayne

I use a food grade 5 gallon plastic bucket from a donut shop or a grocery
store with a bakery in it. Works fine and it is safe to use.

Dwayne

"hombrewdude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I want to do some pepper sauce and some pickles
>
> Looks like I need to get a crock
>
> Any suggestions on where to look??
>
> Probably 1 gal or 2 gal???
>
> thanks!!

Lance LaFrinier

"hombrewdude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I want to do some pepper sauce and some pickles
>
> Looks like I need to get a crock
>
> Any suggestions on where to look??
>
> Probably 1 gal or 2 gal???
>
> thanks!!

Redwing still makes crocks.

BinaryBill

"hombrewdude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I want to do some pepper sauce and some pickles
>
> Looks like I need to get a crock
>
> Any suggestions on where to look??
>
> Probably 1 gal or 2 gal???
>
> thanks!!
>Here's a link to a company that sells them

http://www.randallsspecialties.com/p...?Type=Sub&ID=4

The Cook

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:15:24 -0500, "Dwayne" > wrote:

>I use a food grade 5 gallon plastic bucket from a donut shop or a grocery
>store with a bakery in it. Works fine and it is safe to use.
>
>Dwayne

Also check restaurants. They get many foods in large plastic buckets.
The buckets are much lighter than crocks.

oups.com...

--
Susan N.

Anita Amaro

"hombrewdude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I want to do some pepper sauce and some pickles
>
> Looks like I need to get a crock
>
> Any suggestions on where to look??
>
> Probably 1 gal or 2 gal???
>
> thanks!!

Where are you located? My local Home Hardware store has crocks from one to
five gallons.

A.

Melba's Jammin'

In article . com>,
"hombrewdude" > wrote:

> I want to do some pepper sauce and some pickles
>
> Looks like I need to get a crock
>
> Any suggestions on where to look??
>
> Probably 1 gal or 2 gal???
>
> thanks!!

Also consider food-grade plastic buckets. Got a restaurant supply place
around?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
William R. Watt

What's the lifetime of a plastic bucket?
I got a bunch from a friend who worked at a doughnut shop.
After a few years they became brittle.
It's been so long ago I don't remember how long they lasted.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:
> What's the lifetime of a plastic bucket?
> I got a bunch from a friend who worked at a doughnut shop.
> After a few years they became brittle.
> It's been so long ago I don't remember how long they lasted.
> --

They will last for a few years if you keep them out of the sun. Or a
few months if you leave them outside or under high intensity electric
discharge lamps (like mercury vapor lamps)

If you store them in a dark place they will last for many years, but
will eventually get brittle regardless.

-Bob
Dwayne

I've been using mine for going on 5 years now. I use them for sauerkraut
and dill pickles. Then I wash them and turn them up side down without the
lids on them until the next time I want to use them. I go through 3 batches
of Kraut, and at least 3 batches of pickles a year.

Dwayne

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> William R. Watt wrote:
>> What's the lifetime of a plastic bucket?
>> I got a bunch from a friend who worked at a doughnut shop.
>> After a few years they became brittle.
>> It's been so long ago I don't remember how long they lasted.
>> --

> They will last for a few years if you keep them out of the sun. Or a few
> months if you leave them outside or under high intensity electric
> discharge lamps (like mercury vapor lamps)
>
> If you store them in a dark place they will last for many years, but will
> eventually get brittle regardless.
>
> -Bob

Bubba

hombrewdude wrote:
> I want to do some pepper sauce and some pickles
>
> Looks like I need to get a crock
>
> Any suggestions on where to look??
>
> Probably 1 gal or 2 gal???
>
> thanks!!

I use a one gallon from Wal Mart, but they also have 2 gal.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
hombrewdude

I would think the buckets would retain flavor from pickles and peppers.

hombrewdude

I am outside Chicago

George Shirley

hombrewdude wrote:
> I would think the buckets would retain flavor from pickles and peppers.

If you get the bucket at a fast food restaurant they are food grade and
will not retain flavors of anything. I have successfully used them many
times.

George

hombrewdude

I picked up a case of 2 quart mason jars from mom's attic..

I think I will try these for my peppers.

In case one jar goes bad, I will have some others.

Hot crock David Harmon[_2_] General Cooking 11 26-12-2011 02:43 AM
What a CROCK [email protected] Sourdough 14 20-01-2006 05:09 AM
Crock-pot bbq biig General Cooking 1 08-11-2005 02:42 PM
It's a Crock Louis Cohen General Cooking 10 10-12-2004 08:48 PM
Crock Pot Lois Trivison Kren General Cooking 3 20-11-2003 10:15 PM