Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot crock

Watching Rick Bayless just now, he is going to cook some pork in a slow
cooker. But first, he takes the (apparently) ceramic crock out of the
cooker and puts in on top of the gas stove. When it is good and hot, he
uses it to brown the pork in some oil, before putting it back to cook.

Is that safe? I would be afraid that heating the crock on top of the
stove would be uneven and risk having it crack in two right down the
middle. I don't remember anything in the skimpy instructions from my
Hamilton Beach cooker that would suggest that procedure.

Does anybody here do that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 19:43:24 -0800, David Harmon wrote:

>> Watching Rick Bayless just now, he is going to cook some pork in a slow
>> cooker. But first, he takes the (apparently) ceramic crock out of the
>> cooker and puts in on top of the gas stove. When it is good and hot, he
>> uses it to brown the pork in some oil, before putting it back to cook.

>> Is that safe?

>Many of those crocks now are made out of a phenolic resin of some sort
>(plastic). And the older ceramic/stone ones can contain moisture that
>will make them bust up under high heat due to water/heat/steam
>expansion.

>I think it's a Bad Idea to demonstrate and promote that on TV.

Possibly even Evil.

Especially since Mr. Bayless doesn't have to clean up the mess when
a pot explodes.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "David Harmon" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Watching Rick Bayless just now, he is going to cook some pork in a slow
>> cooker. But first, he takes the (apparently) ceramic crock out of the
>> cooker and puts in on top of the gas stove. When it is good and hot, he
>> uses it to brown the pork in some oil, before putting it back to cook.
>>
>> Is that safe? I would be afraid that heating the crock on top of the
>> stove would be uneven and risk having it crack in two right down the
>> middle. I don't remember anything in the skimpy instructions from my
>> Hamilton Beach cooker that would suggest that procedure.
>>
>> Does anybody here do that?

> I highly doubt that's safe. When you need to brown meat you are supposed
> to do it in a pan and then put it in the crock-pot.

We had a crockpot (of some brand) that could go on the stove top and then
oven or slow cooking unit. It was much too large to be a keeper here and it
went home with the offspring. So. I'm thinking with you all; he shouldn't
be demonstrating that when methinks most crockpots would crack or explode.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 22:08:37 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 19:43:24 -0800, David Harmon wrote:
>
>> Watching Rick Bayless just now, he is going to cook some pork in a slow
>> cooker. But first, he takes the (apparently) ceramic crock out of the
>> cooker and puts in on top of the gas stove. When it is good and hot, he
>> uses it to brown the pork in some oil, before putting it back to cook.
>>
>> Is that safe?

>Many of those crocks now are made out of a phenolic resin of some sort
>(plastic).

At stove top searing temps plastic would melt, then ignite.

>And the older ceramic/stone ones can contain moisture that
>will make them bust up under high heat due to water/heat/steam
>expansion.
>
>I think it's a Bad Idea to demonstrate and promote that on TV.

Most of what's shown on foodtv nowadays is worthless claptrap... I
gave up watching some fifteen years ago. Occasionally I'll turn to a
foodtv station (my cable offers three), after less than five minutes I
move on... it's all about designer kitchens and pricey/pretentious
acouterments.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/24/2011 8:43 PM, David Harmon wrote:
> Watching Rick Bayless just now, he is going to cook some pork in a slow
> cooker. But first, he takes the (apparently) ceramic crock out of the
> cooker and puts in on top of the gas stove. When it is good and hot, he
> uses it to brown the pork in some oil, before putting it back to cook.
>
> Is that safe? I would be afraid that heating the crock on top of the
> stove would be uneven and risk having it crack in two right down the
> middle. I don't remember anything in the skimpy instructions from my
> Hamilton Beach cooker that would suggest that procedure.
>
> Does anybody here do that?

The manuals from my slow cookers don't say anything about it. As far as
I know, "Crock Pot" liners are real crockery, but I wouldn't use them on
the stove top any sooner than I'd put any piece of crockery designed for
slow sustained heating onto a source of high intense heat. It doesn't
make sense to do so. It isn't made for that.

Besides, as they are somewhat narrow and high-sided vessels, they don't
have the right layout for browning and searing. It would take forever to
get anything browned/seared in there, since it would take several
batches to avoid crowding and steaming.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Watching Rick Bayless just now, he is going to cook some pork in a slow
>cooker. But first, he takes the (apparently) ceramic crock out of the
>cooker and puts in on top of the gas stove. When it is good and hot, he
>uses it to brown the pork in some oil, before putting it back to cook.
>
>Is that safe? I would be afraid that heating the crock on top of the
>stove would be uneven and risk having it crack in two right down the
>middle. I don't remember anything in the skimpy instructions from my
>Hamilton Beach cooker that would suggest that procedure.
>
>Does anybody here do that?

I saw that crock pot in a catalog, can't remember if it's a William
Sonoma or Sur la Table. The insert can be used on top of the stove for
browning etc...It runs about $295.00

I can't remember if it's a Cuisinart or a Calphalon, one of the two.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 11:48:30 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 10:39:26 -0800, wrote:

>>>I saw that crock pot in a catalog, can't remember if it's a William
>>>Sonoma or Sur la Table. The insert can be used on top of the stove for
>>>browning etc...It runs about $295.00
>>>
>>>I can't remember if it's a Cuisinart or a Calphalon, one of the two.
>>>
>>>koko

>>It's a Cuisinart. I saw Ming Tsai using it too, and was intrigued.
>>Maybe some day I will spring for one like that..
>>
>>Christine

> A $300 slow cooker... have you lost your mind?!?!?
> See, that's why I gave up watching foodtv, it's all about selling
> pretentious useless kitchenware.

A lot of crock-pots have come up in price but you can still get some cheap
ones. My first was something like $19.99. I know because I had to replace
it after a few months. It quit heating. That apparently was a problem with
them in earlier days because I had roommates who had them and they did the
same thing. I paid more money for a useless rack designed to keep the meats
from touching the bottom and a pan that could be used for baking cakes and
breads. I did make many a loaf of bread in there but I always wished I had
a second pot for the soup to go with it. The pot itself was a poor design
in those days because it wasn't removable making it pretty hard to clean.

My first pot with a removable crock was a display model bought on clearance
at the military store. It only cost a wee bit more than my other one and
was a bit larger. I soon learned that I needed two pots because to do roast
beef and veggies took up the whole pot and there were no leftovers. I soon
learned that I needed one for the meat and another for the veggies. And I
learned that today's meat is a lot leaner. The original roasts that I did
gave off soooo much grease I had to spend a lot of time defatting the
resulting broth. I no longer need to do that.

Then I discovered a crock-pot recipe site and learned that I really needed
the 6 quart which I now own. I also own a little one for dips.

But there are all sorts of other ones out there with more features. Which I
suppose if I had a big family and if I worked outside of the home, I might
want. If I worked all the time I probably wouldn't mind spending that much.
But now for something I only use once in a while, no way.

What a CROCK [email protected] Sourdough 14 20-01-2006 05:09 AM
Crock-pot bbq biig General Cooking 1 08-11-2005 02:42 PM
Where do I get a crock from? Looking for 1 gal hombrewdude Preserving 14 21-10-2005 04:28 AM
It's a Crock Louis Cohen General Cooking 10 10-12-2004 08:48 PM
Crock Pot Lois Trivison Kren General Cooking 3 20-11-2003 10:15 PM