Melba's Jammin'

Default Green Tomato Salsa - I need a recipe

A neighbor has a boatload of green tomatoes and he wants to make salsa
with them. Comments? Recipes deemed safe for same? With measurements.
I told him I'd see what I could find out
TIA.
-Barb
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> A neighbor has a boatload of green tomatoes and he wants to make salsa
> with them. Comments? Recipes deemed safe for same? With measurements.
> I told him I'd see what I could find out
> TIA.
> -Barb

I would substitute the green 'maters for the tomatillos in a green salsa
recipe. I haven't tried it, but it should work. You can use all
jalapenos or half jalapenos and half bell peppers (which don't need to
be peeled) if you can't find New Mexico or Anaheim peppers:

Also, here's a pickle recipe that should cause an uproar because it
specifies the "open kettle" method, and if you BWB it you'll ruin it:

Tomatillo Green Salsa
Recipe By Dawn Jacobson

5 cups tomatillos -- chopped
1 1/2 cups New Mexico green chile -- roasted, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup jalepenos -- roasted, seeded and chopped
4 cups onions -- chopped
1 cup lemon juice, bottled
6 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon cumin -- (optional)
3 tablespoons oregano -- (optional)
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over
high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for
20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars,
leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water
canner
15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25
minutes above 6,000 feet.

Source: "New Mexico State University College of Agriculture & Home
Yield: "5 pints"

* * *

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

6 1/2 pounds tomatillos -- chopped large
1 1/2 pounds mixed green chiles
1/2 pound chopped yellow onion
1 cup lemon juice or vinegar [I used white vinegar]
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. whole black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large covered saucepan and cook over low
heat until mixture begins to boil; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Liquify with a "stick blender" and bring back to a boil.
Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids
and process in a steam pressure canner at 10 pounds for 20 or 25 minutes
for pints or quarts, respectively. Makes about 8 pints.

* * *

PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES

3 Gal. green tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 Qt. onion, cut into eighths
3/4 Qt. chopped jalapeno
5 Lb. sugar
3/4 Cup salt
3 Qt white vinegar
1 Tsp. black pepper

Bring last four ingredients to boil. Add vegetables and simmer 3
minutes or until the color changes. DO NOT BOIL! Pack into sterile jars.
Anny Middon

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>A neighbor has a boatload of green tomatoes and he wants to make salsa
> with them. Comments? Recipes deemed safe for same? With measurements.
> I told him I'd see what I could find out
> TIA.
> -Barb

Here's a recipe that was posted on rfp about a year ago. I made it and
thought it was okay, but a bit too tart for my tastes.

This year I'm going to try Green Tomato Mincemeat from the unripened garden
tomatoes.

Anny

-----------

Salsa Verde

7 cups chopped green tomatoes, about 3.5 lbs

5-10 jalapeno or scotch bonnet peppers, finely chopped

2 cups finely chopped red onion, about 1 large

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup lime juice

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

2 teaspoons cumin

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon each, salt and black pepper

Wash, core, seed and coarsley chop tomatoes, drain off excess liquid.

Measure 7 cups into a large stainless steel saucepan; add peppers,

onion, garlic and lime juice. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro,

cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Ladel in to hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch headspace. BWB 250

ml jars for 15 minutes, 500 ml jars 20 minutes.

From 2003 Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving.

~patches~

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> A neighbor has a boatload of green tomatoes and he wants to make salsa
> with them. Comments? Recipes deemed safe for same? With measurements.
> I told him I'd see what I could find out
> TIA.
> -Barb

Barb, did you get a recipe? If not I can post mine. I'm behind on the
ngs right now.
ChildFree Abby

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> A neighbor has a boatload of green tomatoes and he wants to make salsa
> with them. Comments? Recipes deemed safe for same? With measurements.
> I told him I'd see what I could find out
> TIA.
> -Barb

This one from my Bernardin book:

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments

Salsa Verde
===========
7 cups (1750ml) chopped green tomatoes
5 - 10 jalapeno or scotch bonnet peppers , finely chopped
2 cups finely chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp each salt and pepper

..
Wash, core, seed and coarsely chopped tomatoes; drain off excess liquid.
Measure 7 cups into a stainless steel saucepan; add peppers onion, garlic
and lime juice. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro, cumin, oregano, salt
and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Ladle into jars, BWB,
15min for 250ml (8oz) 20 min 500ml (16oz) jars.

Servings: 6

Abby

--
The ChildFree Abby Archives - http://www.dismal-light.net/childfreeabby/

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
ChildFree Abby > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > A neighbor has a boatload of green tomatoes and he wants to make salsa
> > with them. Comments? Recipes deemed safe for same? With measurements.
> > I told him I'd see what I could find out
> > TIA.
> > -Barb

> This one from my Bernardin book:
>
> Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments
>
> Salsa Verde
> 7 cups (1750ml) chopped green tomatoes

(snipped)

> Servings: 6
>

> Abby

Thank you, Abby. That's the same one Anny posted. 'preciate your
trouble.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com