zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> A neighbor has a boatload of green tomatoes and he wants to make salsa
> with them. Comments? Recipes deemed safe for same? With measurements.
> I told him I'd see what I could find out
> TIA.
> -Barb

I would substitute the green 'maters for the tomatillos in a green salsa
recipe. I haven't tried it, but it should work. You can use all
jalapenos or half jalapenos and half bell peppers (which don't need to
be peeled) if you can't find New Mexico or Anaheim peppers:

Also, here's a pickle recipe that should cause an uproar because it
specifies the "open kettle" method, and if you BWB it you'll ruin it:

Tomatillo Green Salsa
Recipe By Dawn Jacobson

5 cups tomatillos -- chopped
1 1/2 cups New Mexico green chile -- roasted, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup jalepenos -- roasted, seeded and chopped
4 cups onions -- chopped
1 cup lemon juice, bottled
6 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon cumin -- (optional)
3 tablespoons oregano -- (optional)
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over
high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for
20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars,
leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water
canner
15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25
minutes above 6,000 feet.

Source: "New Mexico State University College of Agriculture & Home
Yield: "5 pints"

* * *

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

6 1/2 pounds tomatillos -- chopped large
1 1/2 pounds mixed green chiles
1/2 pound chopped yellow onion
1 cup lemon juice or vinegar [I used white vinegar]
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. whole black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large covered saucepan and cook over low
heat until mixture begins to boil; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Liquify with a "stick blender" and bring back to a boil.
Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids
and process in a steam pressure canner at 10 pounds for 20 or 25 minutes
for pints or quarts, respectively. Makes about 8 pints.

* * *

PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES

3 Gal. green tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 Qt. onion, cut into eighths
3/4 Qt. chopped jalapeno
5 Lb. sugar
3/4 Cup salt
3 Qt white vinegar
1 Tsp. black pepper

Bring last four ingredients to boil. Add vegetables and simmer 3
minutes or until the color changes. DO NOT BOIL! Pack into sterile jars.