Ribitt

Default Marmalade didn't set properly

Made my first batch of Seville marmalade. Natural. No added pectin. Cooked
to 220º F.

After 2 weeks it has a great taste but is not set up as firmly as I would
like.

Can it be re-boiled or otherwise improved for better consistency?

zxcvbob

Ribitt wrote:
> Made my first batch of Seville marmalade. Natural. No added pectin. Cooked
> to 220º F.
>
> After 2 weeks it has a great taste but is not set up as firmly as I would
> like.
>
> Can it be re-boiled or otherwise improved for better consistency?

I've reboiled jelly that didn't set. Just dump all the jars into a big
shallow pot and boil it hard for a few minutes, then pour back into the
jars and reprocess them. (you'll have one less full jar; just put the
half jar in the fridge.)

Bob
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:

> Ribitt wrote:
>
>> Made my first batch of Seville marmalade. Natural. No added pectin.
>> Cooked to 220º F.
>>
>> After 2 weeks it has a great taste but is not set up as firmly as I
>> would like.
>>
>> Can it be re-boiled or otherwise improved for better consistency?
>>

> I've reboiled jelly that didn't set. Just dump all the jars into a big
> shallow pot and boil it hard for a few minutes, then pour back into the
> jars and reprocess them. (you'll have one less full jar; just put the
> half jar in the fridge.)
>
> Bob

I always boil mine to 222F and it seems to be soft set. Boiled a batch
to 230F once and it was stiff set. HTH

George

William R. Watt

zxcvbob ) writes:
> Ribitt wrote:
>> Made my first batch of Seville marmalade. Natural. No added pectin. Cooked
>> to 220º F.
>>
>> After 2 weeks it has a great taste but is not set up as firmly as I would
>> like.
>>
>> Can it be re-boiled or otherwise improved for better consistency?

yes, heating will melt and cooling will recoagulate the pectin. reheating
will boil off some water. driving off water concentrates the pectin which
will make it jell harder. adding sugar will make it jell harder. the only
other thing is acid and citrus fruit has acid. when I reheat jelly I add
some water and then "boil 'er down". when you boil the mix it will sit at
about 212 deg F until enough water has boiled off before the temp will rise
to 220.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

George Shirley ) writes:

> I always boil mine to 222F and it seems to be soft set. Boiled a batch
> to 230F once and it was stiff set. HTH

A little hotter and it would be orange fudge.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt

George Shirley ) writes:

> I always boil mine to 222F and it seems to be soft set. Boiled a batch
> to 230F once and it was stiff set. HTH

A little hotter and it would be orange fudge.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:
> George Shirley ) writes:
>

>>I always boil mine to 222F and it seems to be soft set. Boiled a batch
>>to 230F once and it was stiff set. HTH

> A little hotter and it would be orange fudge.

IIRC, orange fudge would be 234 to 236 degrees. HTH :-)

Bob
zxcvbob

William R. Watt wrote:
> George Shirley ) writes:
>

>>I always boil mine to 222F and it seems to be soft set. Boiled a batch
>>to 230F once and it was stiff set. HTH

> A little hotter and it would be orange fudge.

IIRC, orange fudge would be 234 to 236 degrees. HTH :-)

Bob
George Shirley

William R. Watt wrote:
> George Shirley ) writes:
>

>>I always boil mine to 222F and it seems to be soft set. Boiled a batch
>>to 230F once and it was stiff set. HTH

> A little hotter and it would be orange fudge.

I like fudge, might not be a bad idea. Particularly since I often have
way more kumquats than I can use.

George