Duncanlover

Default How to properly thaw a 10# frozen turkey?

How do I properly and safely thaw a 10# frozen turkey?

I want to thaw it out in the fridge. What length of time?

I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on this.

Is microwaving to thaw it out an option? What about cooking it longer from
a frozen state?

But, mainly, just need to know how long to thaw it in the fridge...

Thanks a bunch!
Cindy

Steve Calvin

Duncanlover wrote:

> How do I properly and safely thaw a 10# frozen turkey?
>
> I want to thaw it out in the fridge. What length of time?
>
> I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on this.
>
> Is microwaving to thaw it out an option? What about cooking it longer from
> a frozen state?
>
> But, mainly, just need to know how long to thaw it in the fridge...
>
> Thanks a bunch!
> Cindy

If you can get a fresh bird all the better. If not check out the
ButterBall site.
http://www.butterball.com/en/main_ca..._prep&s1=guide

Nancy Young

Duncanlover wrote:

> I want to thaw it out in the fridge. What length of time?

2 days. Check the Butterball site.
> Is microwaving to thaw it out an option? What about cooking it longer from
> a frozen state?

I cannot think which option is grosser, so that would be a NO!!!

> But, mainly, just need to know how long to thaw it in the fridge...

Two, three days.

nancy
j.j.

Hark! I heard "Duncanlover" > say:

> How do I properly and safely thaw a 10# frozen turkey?
>
> I want to thaw it out in the fridge. What length of time?
>
> I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on this.

From Butterball's site (don't remember the exact URL)

"Allow at least one day of thawing for every 4 pounds of turkey.
Thaw breast side up in its unopened wrapper on a tray in the
refrigerator."

> Is microwaving to thaw it out an option? What about cooking it longer from
> a frozen state?
>
> But, mainly, just need to know how long to thaw it in the fridge...

I wouldn't use the microwave (I don't have one big enough to hold
a 15 pound turkey anyway), and cooking it frozen doesn't sound like
a good idea to me...

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
zxcvbob

Duncanlover wrote:

> How do I properly and safely thaw a 10# frozen turkey?
>
> I want to thaw it out in the fridge. What length of time?
>
> I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on this.
>
> Is microwaving to thaw it out an option? What about cooking it longer from
> a frozen state?
>
> But, mainly, just need to know how long to thaw it in the fridge...
>
> Thanks a bunch!
> Cindy

Several days. I would start it thawing on the counter for a few hours
or a sink full of water for an hour or two, then move it to the fridge
to finish thawing.

I usually do 16 - 20 pound turkeys, so a 10 pounder will thaw a little
faster, but it will keep for a few days in the fridge OK even if it does
thaw early. You don't want to get up Thursday morning and find the bird
is still mostly frozen cuz you didn't take it out of the freezer in time.

Bob

Jack Schidt®

"Duncanlover" > wrote in message
> How do I properly and safely thaw a 10# frozen turkey?
>
> I want to thaw it out in the fridge. What length of time?

Start now, it's probably 2 or 3 days of thawing.

> I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on

this.

If we're settling a bet here, I want a piece of the action.

> Is microwaving to thaw it out an option? What about cooking it longer

from
> a frozen state?

No, don't. That turkey would taste like hammered shidt.

Jack deFrost

Herself

zxcvbob > wrote:

> Several days. I would start it thawing on the counter for a few hours
> or a sink full of water for an hour or two, then move it to the fridge
> to finish thawing.

I'd also recommend the running water in the sink trick...ever since I
heard of it, we've been defrosting in no time. A frozen chicken
completely defrosted in 3 hours...no weird bits, perfect.
--
'Tis Herself
Reg

zxcvbob wrote:

> I've thawed a humongous whole chicken, still in the plastic wrap, in a
> big stockpot of hot water on the stove over *very* low heat. I don't
> remember how long it took, but not very long.

That's a great way to ruin the texture. Rapid thawing damages any kind of
meat. Fridge temperature is best, but don't go above room temp.

zxcvbob

Reg wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I've thawed a humongous whole chicken, still in the plastic wrap, in a
>> big stockpot of hot water on the stove over *very* low heat. I don't
>> remember how long it took, but not very long.

> That's a great way to ruin the texture. Rapid thawing damages any kind of
> meat. Fridge temperature is best, but don't go above room temp.

I didn't care about the texture; I needed to make a big pot of soup in a
hurry. The chicken should have been glad that I thawed it *at all*
before chucking it in a kettle of boiling water and onions and a bay leaf.

I didn't think it would ruin anything except the appearance of the skin,
but I'm not surprised that it might ruin the texture of the whole bird.

Bob

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Duncanlover"

< http://www.butterball.com/en/index.jsp>

> I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on
> this.

> Is microwaving to thaw it out an option?

A poor one. By the time things get to thawing on the inside, you'll be
cooking the outside. Don't thaw in the microwave.

>What about cooking it longer from a frozen state?

Eeew.

> But, mainly, just need to know how long to thaw it in the fridge...

24 hours for every 5# -- and then I'd allow at least another day. I've
never had a birdy thaw to that schedule. Never. Not one time.

--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>
Bob Pastorio

Duncanlover wrote:

> How do I properly and safely thaw a 10# frozen turkey?
>
> I want to thaw it out in the fridge. What length of time?
>
> I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on this.
>
> Is microwaving to thaw it out an option? What about cooking it longer from
> a frozen state?
>
> But, mainly, just need to know how long to thaw it in the fridge...

Read this <http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey-Thanks.html> to see
what a food scientist says about it.

Pastorio

Herself

Moosemeat > wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> > Carmen Dioxide wrote:
> >
> > > (Herself) wrote in message

> >...>>>> >>>>>>>>
>
> But an incredible waste of water. Not an option here.

Work on your snipping...I didn't write that.
--
'Tis Herself
Peter Aitken

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > I've thawed a humongous whole chicken, still in the plastic wrap, in a
> > big stockpot of hot water on the stove over *very* low heat. I don't
> > remember how long it took, but not very long.

> That's a great way to ruin the texture. Rapid thawing damages any kind of
> meat. Fridge temperature is best, but don't go above room temp.

I agree - plus there is the chance of bacterial growth to contend with. Any
slightly warm temp will start to liquify the fat in the meat with
undesirable results.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Duncanlover"
> > wrote:
>
> > How do I properly and safely thaw a 10# frozen turkey?

> < http://www.butterball.com/en/index.jsp>
>

> > I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on
> > this.

> > Is microwaving to thaw it out an option?

> A poor one. By the time things get to thawing on the inside, you'll be
> cooking the outside. Don't thaw in the microwave.

Agreed - but the MW can be used to speed things up. Put the whatever in the
MW on low for a while and take it out when the outside is still frozen then
put it in the fridge to finish thawing. The MW treatment results in a
chicken or whatever that is frozen at, say, 25 degrees rather than one that
is frozen at 0 degrees, and the refrigerator thawing will take a lot less
time.

--
Peter Aitken

zxcvbob

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Agreed - but the MW can be used to speed things up. Put the whatever in the
> MW on low for a while and take it out when the outside is still frozen then
> put it in the fridge to finish thawing. The MW treatment results in a
> chicken or whatever that is frozen at, say, 25 degrees rather than one that
> is frozen at 0 degrees, and the refrigerator thawing will take a lot less
> time.

Not really. Most of energy required to thaw the bird is the "latent
heat of fusion" (melting the ice). This occurs at about 31 or 32
degrees. Warming the frozen bird from 0 to 25 degrees doesn't help all
that much.

Best regards,
Bob

Default User

zxcvbob wrote:

> Not really. Most of energy required to thaw the bird is the "latent
> heat of fusion" (melting the ice). This occurs at about 31 or 32
> degrees. Warming the frozen bird from 0 to 25 degrees doesn't help all
> that much.

For pure water, the latent heat of ice is about .5 calories per gram per
degree C. So the heat required to raise a gram of ice from 0F (-18 C) to
25F (-4C) is about 14 calories per gram. The latent heat of fusion of
water is 80 calories per gram.

Naturally, a turkey is not pure water, its liquid is all filled with
various proteins and electrolytes. However, the pure water analysis
gives an idea of the relationship. Warming it up helps some, but the
bulk of the heat goes into overcoming the phase change.

Brian Rodenborn
Peter Aitken

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:
> >
> > Agreed - but the MW can be used to speed things up. Put the whatever in

the
> > MW on low for a while and take it out when the outside is still frozen

then
> > put it in the fridge to finish thawing. The MW treatment results in a
> > chicken or whatever that is frozen at, say, 25 degrees rather than one

that
> > is frozen at 0 degrees, and the refrigerator thawing will take a lot

less
> > time.
> >

> Not really. Most of energy required to thaw the bird is the "latent
> heat of fusion" (melting the ice). This occurs at about 31 or 32
> degrees. Warming the frozen bird from 0 to 25 degrees doesn't help all
> that much.

Yes really. Raising the temp from 0 to 25 requires about 40% of the calories
requires to melt the ice. This qualifies as "that much" in my book.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Yes really. Raising the temp from 0 to 25 requires about 40% of the calories
> requires to melt the ice. This qualifies as "that much" in my book.

Where did you get that number?

The specific heat of ice is around .5 cal per gram per degree C. The
delta T is about 14C. So the amount of heat is about 7 calories per gram
to go from 0F to 25F.

The latent heat of fusion for water is 80 calories per gram.

Brian Rodenborn

Reg

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> Read this <http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey-Thanks.html> to see
> what a food scientist says about it.

There's some really good info here. Poking around a bit I found this:

There is getting to be an extensive body of science indicating that
below about 55 to 60F, food "spoils safe." The FDA has no justification
for imposing a raw food 41F cold-holding temperature. Epidemiological
experience of the last 100 years suggests that food held at 55 to 60F
spoils safe. From a HACCP point of view, I can find no science that
justifies any cold-holding temperature below 55 to 60F. There are many
quality reasons for keeping raw food at 28 to 32F. However, this is shelf
life, and the government does not regulate shelf life, except for baby food
because of slight nutrient loss.

HACCP AND SLOW-ROASTING TURKEYS
by O. Peter Snyder, Jr., Ph.D
Hospitality Institute of Technology and Management
http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey.html

Very interesting.

Sylvia

I bought a 15-lb turkey Sunday and immediately put in the fridge to thaw
-- if that winds up being longer than necessary, an extra day or two in
the fridge won't hurt it.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Bill

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:34:18 -0600, "Duncanlover" >
wrote:

>How do I properly and safely thaw a 10# frozen turkey?
>
>I want to thaw it out in the fridge. What length of time?
>
>I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on this.
>
>Is microwaving to thaw it out an option? What about cooking it longer from
>a frozen state?
>
>But, mainly, just need to know how long to thaw it in the fridge...
>
>Thanks a bunch!
>Cindy

Put enough water in the kitchen sink so that when you put the frozen
turkey, still in the plastic wrapper, into the sink the water level
does not exceed three or four inches from the rim of the sink. Leave
it in this water soaking and check the water temperature after one
hour. If it's above 40 degrees fahrenheit put some ice in the water to
cool it below 40 degrees. The completely frozen bird should be totally
defrosted in 4 hours soaking in the sink.

If you don't believe me, checkout the National Turkey Federation's
website:

http://www.eatturkey.com/consumer/cookinfo/turthaw.html

Regards,
Bill

Heck

"Default User >" took another step towards
trancendence.
>Peter Aitken wrote:
>
>> Yes really. Raising the temp from 0 to 25 requires about 40% of the calories
>> requires to melt the ice. This qualifies as "that much" in my book.

>Where did you get that number?
>
>The specific heat of ice is around .5 cal per gram per degree C. The
>delta T is about 14C. So the amount of heat is about 7 calories per gram
>to go from 0F to 25F.
>
>The latent heat of fusion for water is 80 calories per gram.

What does this have to do with it? Leave it in the fridge for about a
week, that's how.

This is interesting, though, and relevant if you're defrosting a turkey
hours before dinner. Would you please calculate how many minutes you've
got to leave a frozen 0 degree C turkey in the oven at, say, 200 deg F, to
transform it into a thawed 0 deg C turkey? The differences introduced by
turkey into the calculation is insignificant for these purposes, use water.
Blair P. Houghton

Reg > wrote:
>Bob Pastorio wrote:
>
>> Read this <http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey-Thanks.html> to see
>> what a food scientist says about it.

>There's some really good info here. Poking around a bit I found this:
>
> There is getting to be an extensive body of science indicating that
> below about 55 to 60F, food "spoils safe." The FDA has no justification
> for imposing a raw food 41F cold-holding temperature. Epidemiological

I believe they used scientific experience from ordinary
microbiology.

> experience of the last 100 years suggests that food held at 55 to 60F
> spoils safe. From a HACCP point of view, I can find no science that
> justifies any cold-holding temperature below 55 to 60F. There are many
> quality reasons for keeping raw food at 28 to 32F. However, this is shelf
> life, and the government does not regulate shelf life, except for baby food
> because of slight nutrient loss.
>
>HACCP AND SLOW-ROASTING TURKEYS
>by O. Peter Snyder, Jr., Ph.D
>Hospitality Institute of Technology and Management
>http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey.html
>
>Very interesting.

Except, what does it mean if it "spoils safe"? Sounds like
an oxymoron.

--Blair
"Put enough Tabasco on it, and it's in
the 'Good for Fajitas' section for life."

Blair P. Houghton

zxcvbob > wrote:
>I've thawed a humongous whole chicken, still in the plastic wrap, in a
>big stockpot of hot water on the stove over *very* low heat. I don't
>remember how long it took, but not very long.

Why hot water?

Cool water would do, and the very low heat would just add back
the heat the thawing was sucking out of the water, keeping the
water cool.

Personally, I love thawing things in a full sink of water,
and can get behind having to run the water for a turkey.

It takes a lot less time and doesn't affect the texture
(although I've never tried it with super-delicate things
like flash-frozen strawberries).

Water costs a small fraction of a penny per gallon. So unless
you're squeezing ancestors for their moisture--then you
might value your water more than your time--it's the obvious
economical choice.

--Blair
"Don't blame me for global warming;
blame hockey rinks."
Bob Pastorio

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Reg > wrote:
>
>>Bob Pastorio wrote:
>>
>>>Read this <http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey-Thanks.html> to see
>>>what a food scientist says about it.

>>There's some really good info here. Poking around a bit I found this:
>>
>> There is getting to be an extensive body of science indicating that
>> below about 55 to 60F, food "spoils safe." The FDA has no justification
>> for imposing a raw food 41F cold-holding temperature. Epidemiological

> I believe they used scientific experience from ordinary
> microbiology.
>
>> experience of the last 100 years suggests that food held at 55 to 60F
>> spoils safe. From a HACCP point of view, I can find no science that
>> justifies any cold-holding temperature below 55 to 60F. There are many
>> quality reasons for keeping raw food at 28 to 32F. However, this is shelf
>> life, and the government does not regulate shelf life, except for baby food
>> because of slight nutrient loss.
>>
>>HACCP AND SLOW-ROASTING TURKEYS
>>by O. Peter Snyder, Jr., Ph.D
>>Hospitality Institute of Technology and Management
>>http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey.html
>>
>>Very interesting.

> Except, what does it mean if it "spoils safe"? Sounds like
> an oxymoron.

There are two types of bacteria to consider. Pathogens that can cause
illness, and spoilage bacteria that merely ruin the food without
creating hazard.

An example of "spoiling safe" is mold on cheese. It "spoils" the milk
but won't hurt people.

Same thing with "spoils safe" in the context of the turkeys being
discussed in that paper. It means that it can spoil (smell bad, get an
"off" taste, etc.) without creating hazardous conditions for people.

Pastorio

Jack Schidt®

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> zxcvbob > wrote:
> >I've thawed a humongous whole chicken, still in the plastic wrap, in a
> >big stockpot of hot water on the stove over *very* low heat. I don't
> >remember how long it took, but not very long.

> Why hot water?
>
> Cool water would do, and the very low heat would just add back
> the heat the thawing was sucking out of the water, keeping the
> water cool.
>
> Personally, I love thawing things in a full sink of water,
> and can get behind having to run the water for a turkey.
>
> It takes a lot less time and doesn't affect the texture
> (although I've never tried it with super-delicate things
> like flash-frozen strawberries).
>
> Water costs a small fraction of a penny per gallon. So unless
> you're squeezing ancestors for their moisture--then you
> might value your water more than your time--it's the obvious
> economical choice.

Depends where you live. If you live in the southwestern US, you may think
differently about running water just to thaw a turkey. Of course, that's
wrong, everyone knows there's plenty of water in a desert and the Colorado
River will never stop flowing.

Jaquifer

Rhonda Anderson

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in
om:

> "Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message

>> Water costs a small fraction of a penny per gallon. So unless
>> you're squeezing ancestors for their moisture--then you
>> might value your water more than your time--it's the obvious
>> economical choice.
>>

> Depends where you live. If you live in the southwestern US, you may
> think differently about running water just to thaw a turkey. Of
> course, that's wrong, everyone knows there's plenty of water in a
> desert and the Colorado River will never stop flowing.

If you live in most parts of Australia you'd probably think differently
also. I doubt that the water authorities urging us to save water, and in
many places with mandatory water usage restrictions of various levels,
would look kindly on the practice of running water for hours to thaw a
turkey!

--
Rhonda Anderson
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Tank

"Duncanlover" > wrote in message
> How do I properly and safely thaw a 10# frozen turkey?
>
> I want to thaw it out in the fridge. What length of time?
>
> I would love to know the answer to this, as my parents can't agree on

this.

> Is microwaving to thaw it out an option? What about cooking it longer

from
> a frozen state?
>
> But, mainly, just need to know how long to thaw it in the fridge...
>
> Thanks a bunch!
> Cindy

You can safely thaw a frozen turkey overnight
on your kitchen counter. Wrap the turkey in
a brown-kraft paper grocery bag. You can use
2 bags if you like. The bag insulates the bird
and keeps a layer of cold air next to the skin.
I have been doing this for 25+ years, and my
mom did it for decades before that. The USDA
recommended this method for whole frozen
turkeys. I do it with birds up to 25lb, and after
a whole night out, the skin is cold to the touch,
and the interior is still partially frozen. A 10lb
bird should be quite nicely thawed after a night
out.

--
Tank

Then roast it at 475 degrees.
bird should be quoi

Nancy Young

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> Depends where you live. If you live in the southwestern US, you may think
> differently about running water just to thaw a turkey. Of course, that's
> wrong, everyone knows there's plenty of water in a desert and the Colorado
> River will never stop flowing.

I think it's a terrible waste of potable water. Most places go
through the occasional drought, I just can't see wasting it willy
nilly like that. For those who think, it's only a trickle, stop up
the sink and watch how fast it fills up.

nancy
Herself

Nancy Young > wrote:

> "Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
> > Depends where you live. If you live in the southwestern US, you may think
> > differently about running water just to thaw a turkey. Of course, that's
> > wrong, everyone knows there's plenty of water in a desert and the Colorado
> > River will never stop flowing.

> I think it's a terrible waste of potable water. Most places go
> through the occasional drought, I just can't see wasting it willy
> nilly like that. For those who think, it's only a trickle, stop up
> the sink and watch how fast it fills up.

First, I live in a place that *doesn't* ever have a drought.

Second, how else can a turkey be thawed? I guess I'll go read the rest
of the thread.. :-) We had the butcher thaw it for us in his fridge...
--
'Tis Herself
Bob

Rhonda (and other drought-conscious folks) expressed:

> If you live in most parts of Australia you'd probably think differently
> also. I doubt that the water authorities urging us to save water, and in
> many places with mandatory water usage restrictions of various levels,
> would look kindly on the practice of running water for hours to thaw a
> turkey!

True, true...how about getting a fountain (or just a small pump and some
tubing) which recirculates the same water over and over? Of course, you'd
have to modify it a bit so that the turkey gets bathed by the flowing water,
and you'd have to add a tiny bit of heat to the water at some point in the
recirculation to optimize the thawing process...and then you'd have to run
bleach through it when you're done, just in case some microbug worked its
way through the wrapper...but something like that ought to work fine.

There, I give the world this idea. Now patent it and make a fortune, while
conserving water at the same time!

Bob

Bob Pastorio

Herself wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote:
>=20
>=20
>>"Jack Schidt=AE" wrote:
>>

>>>Depends where you live. If you live in the southwestern US, you may t=

hink
>>>differently about running water just to thaw a turkey. Of course, tha=

t's
>>>wrong, everyone knows there's plenty of water in a desert and the Colo=

rado
>>>River will never stop flowing.

>>I think it's a terrible waste of potable water. Most places go=20
>>through the occasional drought, I just can't see wasting it willy
>>nilly like that. For those who think, it's only a trickle, stop up
>>the sink and watch how fast it fills up. =20

>=20
>=20
> First, I live in a place that *doesn't* ever have a drought. =20
>=20
> Second, how else can a turkey be thawed? I guess I'll go read the rest=

> of the thread.. :-) We had the butcher thaw it for us in his fridge...=

Check this out. It's what I do at home nowadays. Here in the=20
Shenandoah Valley, my water comes from a well and I live on the banks=20
on the Shenandoah River. No shortage here and no ongoing water bill=20
except for water softening materials. But it isn't necessary to run=20
the water.

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey-Thanks.html

Pastorio

Frozen dough: how long to let thaw etc? Kalmia General Cooking 20 18-07-2012 04:56 AM
thaw turkey in fridge Janet Bostwick General Cooking 14 22-11-2011 12:42 AM
Cooking a Frozen Turkey Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 20-12-2005 02:39 AM
Frozen Turkey Bob General Cooking 4 19-04-2004 03:13 PM
Frozen Turkey zxcvbob Recipes (moderated) 0 19-04-2004 03:33 AM