Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lemon marmalade - why have I got liquid on top of set marmalade?

I made really tasty lemon marmalade - with just a bit of pink
grapefruit for sweetness
It has set but there is still liquid lying on top
Do you know what I've done wrong?
Too much sugar do you think? I put in extra in case it was bitter
It really has set
Should I tip it all back in the pan and add pectin?

Aspley

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aspley wrote:

> I made really tasty lemon marmalade - with just a bit of pink
> grapefruit for sweetness
> It has set but there is still liquid lying on top
> Do you know what I've done wrong?
> Too much sugar do you think? I put in extra in case it was bitter
> It really has set
> Should I tip it all back in the pan and add pectin?

You added grapefruit? I thought that marmalade was made with just
the skins of the citrus fruit. When I made Seville Orange marmalade I
juice the oranges, slice the skins into thin strips and put them in a
pot with the juice and enough liquid to cover the peel, bring it to a
boil and let it simmer for a few hours to soften the peel. Then the
mash is cooked in batches with equal parts sugar until it starts to
thicken. I use a cool inverted bowl and drip test, spooning a little
on to the side of the bowl and watching for it to set before it drips
all the way down. You should not need Pectin. You can cook it again.
Not a major problem except that you will need to sterilize the jars
again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote on 26 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> You added grapefruit? I thought that marmalade was made with just
> the skins of the citrus fruit.

Isn't grapefruit citrus? If it isn't, what is it?

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"aspley" > wrote:

> I made really tasty lemon marmalade - with just a bit of pink
> grapefruit for sweetness
> It has set but there is still liquid lying on top
> Do you know what I've done wrong?
> Too much sugar do you think? I put in extra in case it was bitter
> It really has set
> Should I tip it all back in the pan and add pectin?
>
> Aspley

Look up "syneresis," but do it from the search page at
www.uga.edu/nchfp (search link is on the left). Use the top search
window and type in the word syneresis.

Why would you add pectin? That's for the set. And you've got that in
spades, sounds like. Good luck. (It's not harmful, by the way.)

--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-21-2006 Hot Stuff!