Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Probably leaving

I may be closing this account. There are a couple of messages that do
not go through and they show up every day. Besides I will not be
doing much preserving for the reset of the year. Will can some
current year pinto beans and may make a batch of grape jelly if I
don't already a supply of this variety.

If I do close this group I will still have the gardening one open. I
will miss everyone here.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> I may be closing this account. There are a couple of messages that do
> not go through and they show up every day.

it sounds like your system is messed up.
there hasn't been much traffic here for a long
time, but it doesn't cost anything via eternal-
september.

> Besides I will not be
> doing much preserving for the reset of the year. Will can some
> current year pinto beans and may make a batch of grape jelly if I
> don't already a supply of this variety.
>
> If I do close this group I will still have the gardening one open. I
> will miss everyone here.

ok, have fun storming the castle!

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/3/2016 8:06 AM, The Cook wrote:
> I may be closing this account. There are a couple of messages that do
> not go through and they show up every day. Besides I will not be
> doing much preserving for the reset of the year. Will can some
> current year pinto beans and may make a batch of grape jelly if I
> don't already a supply of this variety.
>
> If I do close this group I will still have the gardening one open. I
> will miss everyone here.

There are hardly any folks still posting on this one Susan. I just leave
it alone mostly just in case any of the old timers show up. I suspect
there aren't that many people who preserve their own food and use
computers too.

We live in an area of Harris County, TX (Houston area) with probably 20
to 30 thousand people here. I have not run into anyone that actually
preserves their own food beyond Miz Anne and I. Tried to get some to
come over and learn, none were interested.

It seems most folks here, other than those of us who are retired and
stay at home, that do anything other than go to work, come home, eat, go
to bed.

I will miss you. Take care of yourself too.

George, Miz Anne, and Tilly Dawg

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 09:06:01 -0400, The Cook >
wrote:

>I may be closing this account. There are a couple of messages that do
>not go through and they show up every day. Besides I will not be
>doing much preserving for the reset of the year. Will can some
>current year pinto beans and may make a batch of grape jelly if I
>don't already a supply of this variety.
>
>If I do close this group I will still have the gardening one open. I
>will miss everyone here.

Looks like I won't have to close this account. Agent asked for a
Crash Dump and I agreed. They must have done something because I have
not seen the error message all day.

So I will stick around and see what people are doing.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/3/2016 5:54 PM, The Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 09:06:01 -0400, The Cook >
> wrote:
>
>> I may be closing this account. There are a couple of messages that do
>> not go through and they show up every day. Besides I will not be
>> doing much preserving for the reset of the year. Will can some
>> current year pinto beans and may make a batch of grape jelly if I
>> don't already a supply of this variety.
>>
>> If I do close this group I will still have the gardening one open. I
>> will miss everyone here.

> Looks like I won't have to close this account. Agent asked for a
> Crash Dump and I agreed. They must have done something because I have
> not seen the error message all day.
>
> So I will stick around and see what people are doing.

Very good, at least there are about three of us. Haven't heard from Barb
in a long time, reckon she is still taking care of family.

I've been on a gardening group from University of Kentucky over 25 years
and that one is slowly losing folks. I don't think there's enough true
gardeners out there to keep garden groups up and running.

There are a couple of sort of gardeners in our sub division here. Miz
Anne and I are the only canners and the few other gardeners are mostly
salad gardeners. We're still growing plants we like and then can them or
freeze them. Tastes much better than the stuff from the supermarket.

We harvested our pear tree this fall and made pear jelly and pear sauce
from the fruit. It looks like our kumquat crop is going to be pitiful,
we're still getting 80+ days in October, seems like summer has been with
us over two years now. The fig crop was pitiful too, birds were here
every day and would crawl under the netting to get to the figs. I think
they really wanted the water in it so will put out a bird waterer next
spring.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Monday, 3 October 2016 12:48:39 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
I suspect
> there aren't that many people who preserve their own food and use
> computers too.

They are all on Facebook now. There are more canning groups on Facebook than you can count, and it's not uncommon for them to have 40,000 members per group. Lots of wars and drama, too, unfortunately. Here's just a random canning group, with 49,000 members right now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2261906796/

The new crowd doesn't really know about, or use, this older type of forum.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/3/2016 10:53 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Monday, 3 October 2016 12:48:39 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> I suspect
>> there aren't that many people who preserve their own food and use
>> computers too.
>>

> They are all on Facebook now. There are more canning groups on Facebook than you can count, and it's not uncommon for them to have 40,000 members per group. Lots of wars and drama, too, unfortunately. Here's just a random canning group, with 49,000 members right now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2261906796/
>
> The new crowd doesn't really know about, or use, this older type of forum.

And I don't use Facebook, way to much going on there for me. I leave it
for the younger members of the family.

I took a look once and people are showing way to much of what they do on
there. I prefer to be a bit more private.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 07:37:33 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>On 10/3/2016 10:53 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
>> On Monday, 3 October 2016 12:48:39 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
>> I suspect
>>> there aren't that many people who preserve their own food and use
>>> computers too.
>>>

>> They are all on Facebook now. There are more canning groups on Facebook than you can count, and it's not uncommon for them to have 40,000 members per group. Lots of wars and drama, too, unfortunately. Here's just a random canning group, with 49,000 members right now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2261906796/
>>
>> The new crowd doesn't really know about, or use, this older type of forum.
>>

>And I don't use Facebook, way to much going on there for me. I leave it
>for the younger members of the family.
>
>I took a look once and people are showing way to much of what they do on
>there. I prefer to be a bit more private.

Ain't that the truth George! I wouldn't post even 10% of what some
people do on Facebook. And I only determine that from what they tell
me they put there 'cause I don't go there to see it for myself.
I think my wife and I, along with you and Miz Anne are from a whole
different generation (I'm coming up 82 in a few weeks) and we don't
broadcast it every time we take a pee :-). Thanks to my naval training
I can still touch-type without too many mistakes, but this two thumb
stuff is not for me. Besides, I don't even have a smart phone.
I still read this group regularly but hardly post anymore. Although we
don't have near the size garden we once had, we still have about 2500
sq. ft. and still BWB and pressure can or vac pack and freeze lots of
our produce. Beats the store bought stuff six ways from Sunday.
Best wished to you and all who still frequent r.f.p.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/4/2016 5:27 PM, wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 07:37:33 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/3/2016 10:53 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
>>> On Monday, 3 October 2016 12:48:39 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
>>> I suspect
>>>>
>>> They are all on Facebook now. There are more canning groups on Facebook than you can count, and it's not uncommon for them to have 40,000 members per group. Lots of wars and drama, too, unfortunately. Here's just a random canning group, with 49,000 members right now:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2261906796/

>>> The new crowd doesn't really know about, or use, this older type of forum.
>>>

>> And I don't use Facebook, way to much going on there for me. I leave it
>> for the younger members of the family.
>>
>> I took a look once and people are showing way to much of what they do on
>> there. I prefer to be a bit more private.

> Ain't that the truth George! I wouldn't post even 10% of what some
> people do on Facebook. And I only determine that from what they tell
> me they put there 'cause I don't go there to see it for myself.
> I think my wife and I, along with you and Miz Anne are from a whole
> different generation (I'm coming up 82 in a few weeks) and we don't
> broadcast it every time we take a pee :-).

You're four years older than me Ross, that's pretty much the same
generation.
Thanks to my naval training
> I can still touch-type without too many mistakes, but this two thumb
> stuff is not for me. Besides, I don't even have a smart phone.

I was Navy too, and was a Yeoman 2nd, if my right hand weren't partially
paralyzed I could probably still type 120 words a minute.
> I still read this group regularly but hardly post anymore. Although we
> don't have near the size garden we once had, we still have about 2500
> sq. ft. and still BWB and pressure can or vac pack and freeze lots of
> our produce. Beats the store bought stuff six ways from Sunday.
> Best wished to you and all who still frequent r.f.p.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

That's a big garden, our garden in this new home is two feet around the
inside of the back fence, mostly flowers, plus two eight foot raised
beds and a 16 foot one. Plus a fig tree, kumquat and a pear tree in the
front yard, replaced the usual live oak. Most folks don't know the
difference. We, too, use pressure canning, dehydrating, freezing, etc.
to put up the good stuff we grow for ourselves and our extended family.

I miss Louisiana, better climate with more rain, lots of large trees,
etc. Large trees here become landfill mostly.

George, NE Harris County, Texas
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tuesday, 4 October 2016 08:37:31 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> On 10/3/2016 10:53 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> > On Monday, 3 October 2016 12:48:39 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> > I suspect
> >> there aren't that many people who preserve their own food and use
> >> computers too.
> >>

> > They are all on Facebook now. There are more canning groups on Facebook than you can count, and it's not uncommon for them to have 40,000 members per group. Lots of wars and drama, too, unfortunately. Here's just a random canning group, with 49,000 members right now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2261906796/
> >
> > The new crowd doesn't really know about, or use, this older type of forum.
> >

> And I don't use Facebook, way to much going on there for me. I leave it
> for the younger members of the family.
>
> I took a look once and people are showing way to much of what they do on
> there. I prefer to be a bit more private.

There's also the harvest forum over he

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest

Seems to have a small crowd, still, in a a more traditional discussion forum format. It seems to be run by a guy named Dave from Arkansas.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/7/2016 3:46 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 October 2016 08:37:31 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 10/3/2016 10:53 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
>>> On Monday, 3 October 2016 12:48:39 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
>>> I suspect
>>>>
>>> They are all on Facebook now. There are more canning groups on Facebook than you can count, and it's not uncommon for them to have 40,000 members per group. Lots of wars and drama, too, unfortunately. Here's just a random canning group, with 49,000 members right now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2261906796/
>>>
>>> The new crowd doesn't really know about, or use, this older type of forum.
>>>

>> And I don't use Facebook, way to much going on there for me. I leave it
>> for the younger members of the family.
>>
>> I took a look once and people are showing way to much of what they do on
>> there. I prefer to be a bit more private.

> There's also the harvest forum over he
>
> http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest
>
> Seems to have a small crowd, still, in a a more traditional discussion forum format. It seems to be run by a guy named Dave from Arkansas.

Dave has been around for years, I've never gotten to engaged into it but
at least some of the people have some sense. I distrust most of the
weird recipes I see on there.

We just need may more home food preservers on this forum, used to be
lots of folks here back in the nineties. I reckon most of them have died
off, I'm 77 and still making my own preserves, but lots of people don't.

Leaving sauce in a pot [email protected] General Cooking 45 09-09-2016 09:51 PM
SO is leaving me! PeterL[_9_] General Cooking 12 19-12-2008 05:51 PM
Leaving but lurking Lori Lee Sushi 6 19-07-2008 04:24 PM
[OT] Leaving RFC j*ni p. General Cooking 22 17-10-2003 04:04 AM