Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Leaving but lurking

Hi all,
This is by far my favorite newsgroup as sushi is my favorite food. I
have just left earthlink (dial-up) which recognizes "alt" groups, and
signed up with Verizon (DSL) which does not. I will be reading and
lurking and following along through a free service, but will not able
to post. Please keep the conversation lively.
Lori
Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:04:57 -0400, Lori Lee
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>This is by far my favorite newsgroup as sushi is my favorite food. I
>have just left earthlink (dial-up) which recognizes "alt" groups, and
>signed up with Verizon (DSL) which does not. I will be reading and
>lurking and following along through a free service, but will not able
>to post. Please keep the conversation lively.
>Lori
>Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

Forgot, if anyone needs NY sushi advice my new email address is:

Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Lori Lee posted this:
> Hi all,
> This is by far my favorite newsgroup as sushi is my favorite food. I
> have just left earthlink (dial-up) which recognizes "alt" groups, and
> signed up with Verizon (DSL) which does not. I will be reading and
> lurking and following along through a free service, but will not able
> to post. Please keep the conversation lively.
> Lori
> Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

My Time Warner Cable account threatened to drop newsgroups, but for some
reason they haven't yet.

But in preparation for that event, I got advice from a few to try some free
ngs. news.motzarella.org requires an account be set up, but they are free
and it carries almost all groups and certainly the alt hierarchy.

Another is nntp.aioe.org which requires no account, but can be a little slow
since it's in Italy. Sometimes when posting, I get a time out, but when I
check to see if the post went through, it has, so only a minor inconvenience.

Not sure of settings for ngs in Outlook, but for Thunderbird, it's fairly
painless, IMHO. Good luck.

--
Wilson N45 W67
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Lori Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
> This is by far my favorite newsgroup as sushi is my favorite food. I
> have just left earthlink (dial-up) which recognizes "alt" groups, and
> signed up with Verizon (DSL) which does not. I will be reading and
> lurking and following along through a free service, but will not able
> to post. Please keep the conversation lively.
> Lori
> Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

You can sign up for free Usenet access that lets you post (in limited
amounts, but usually enough for text groups). I signed up for Teranews a
few years ago and while their *free* service is not perfect, it does the
trick....
http://teranews.com/

Google groups (blech) also lets you post for free, so you might want to
try that if you can stomach the interface....

Sad to see you go, but Big Brother is calling the shots now for a lot of
us it seems....

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:04:57 -0400, Lori Lee
> wrote:

> Hi all,
> This is by far my favorite newsgroup as sushi is my favorite food. I
> have just left earthlink (dial-up) which recognizes "alt" groups, and
> signed up with Verizon (DSL) which does not. I will be reading and
> lurking and following along through a free service, but will not able
> to post. Please keep the conversation lively.

You are not limited to what your ISP provides, or what that particular
free service allows. You have other choices:

1. There are lots of other news servers available to you. Some are
free, others are fee-based. Several of the free services permit
posting as well as reading. Here's one: http://motzarella.org/

2. You can always read and post on googlegroups. it's not a
particularly good way to participate, but it works.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> 2. You can always read and post on googlegroups. it's not a
> particularly good way to participate, but it works.

That's the only way I know how to do it. Just go he

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.sushi
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:12:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> > 2. You can always read and post on googlegroups. it's not a
> > particularly good way to participate, but it works.

> That's the only way I know how to do it. Just go he

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.sushi

You need to learn to use a newsreader. Googlegroups is a great way to
search for messages, but it's among the *worst* ways to participate in
one.