Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default botulism

i'm still reading along in the news and hoping
those folk in Ohio are all able to recover.

they still don't know exactly which foods could
have been the problem, potato salad and macaroni
salad, but still ongoing.

the problem i'm seeing is that it is all falling
under "home canned" but i'm not sure of how accurate
that is. i mean, i've never known anyone to can
potato salad or macaroni salad...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 4/25/2015 11:49 AM, songbird wrote:
> i'm still reading along in the news and hoping
> those folk in Ohio are all able to recover.
>
> they still don't know exactly which foods could
> have been the problem, potato salad and macaroni
> salad, but still ongoing.
>
> the problem i'm seeing is that it is all falling
> under "home canned" but i'm not sure of how accurate
> that is. i mean, i've never known anyone to can
> potato salad or macaroni salad...
>

> songbird

Cruise the web a bit looking for "home preserving methods" and you might
be surprised at the folks who are canning all sorts of stuff that should
never be canned. And they think it is a good thing and try to get folks
to do all sorts of stuff. Some are still turning jars upside down to
seal without BWB or, worse yet, still putting paraffin on top jars of
jam and jelly. I try my best to steer folks to the U of GA food safety
site but apparently some don't care.

I've never heard of canning either salad, sounds very dangerous to me.
See the above paragraph.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> songbird wrote:

>> i'm still reading along in the news and hoping
>> those folk in Ohio are all able to recover.
>>
>> they still don't know exactly which foods could
>> have been the problem, potato salad and macaroni
>> salad, but still ongoing.
>>
>> the problem i'm seeing is that it is all falling
>> under "home canned" but i'm not sure of how accurate
>> that is. i mean, i've never known anyone to can
>> potato salad or macaroni salad...

> Cruise the web a bit looking for "home preserving methods" and you might
> be surprised at the folks who are canning all sorts of stuff that should
> never be canned. And they think it is a good thing and try to get folks
> to do all sorts of stuff. Some are still turning jars upside down to
> seal without BWB or, worse yet, still putting paraffin on top jars of
> jam and jelly. I try my best to steer folks to the U of GA food safety
> site but apparently some don't care.

that is the problem with the internet, old pages
and old recipes persist as long as the hosting site
keeps them available and as long as they aren't
removed from the backintime type places.

my own practices are not "standard" but i've done
enough reading to know what i'm doing. we generally
don't get things given to us that others put up so
i don't often have to worry. my own stuff is acidic
enough. if i ever do any low acid stuff it will be
with a pressure canner and well researched. i can't
see how taking any sort of risk with botulism is a
good thing. the sites that recommend boiling something
for 15 minutes if you suspect it might be bad is just
plain crazy IMO, i'd just dump it and be safe instead.

> I've never heard of canning either salad, sounds very dangerous to me.
> See the above paragraph.

yeah, i don't think the news articles are accurate
and until they know for sure what the contaminated
items were it is incorrect to say "home canned" when
it could just have been improperly prepared or stored
food.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 4/25/2015 4:12 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> songbird wrote:

>>> i'm still reading along in the news and hoping
>>> those folk in Ohio are all able to recover.
>>>
>>> they still don't know exactly which foods could
>>> have been the problem, potato salad and macaroni
>>> salad, but still ongoing.
>>>
>>> the problem i'm seeing is that it is all falling
>>> under "home canned" but i'm not sure of how accurate
>>> that is. i mean, i've never known anyone to can
>>> potato salad or macaroni salad...

>> Cruise the web a bit looking for "home preserving methods" and you might
>> be surprised at the folks who are canning all sorts of stuff that should
>> never be canned. And they think it is a good thing and try to get folks
>> to do all sorts of stuff. Some are still turning jars upside down to
>> seal without BWB or, worse yet, still putting paraffin on top jars of
>> jam and jelly. I try my best to steer folks to the U of GA food safety
>> site but apparently some don't care.

> that is the problem with the internet, old pages
> and old recipes persist as long as the hosting site
> keeps them available and as long as they aren't
> removed from the backintime type places.

Most of the web pages I've seen with wrong methods are real time, just
accidentally looking for a specific recipe when I ran up on them. Does
no good to chastise them as they "know what is best."

> my own practices are not "standard" but i've done
> enough reading to know what i'm doing. we generally
> don't get things given to us that others put up so
> i don't often have to worry. my own stuff is acidic
> enough. if i ever do any low acid stuff it will be
> with a pressure canner and well researched. i can't
> see how taking any sort of risk with botulism is a
> good thing. the sites that recommend boiling something
> for 15 minutes if you suspect it might be bad is just
> plain crazy IMO, i'd just dump it and be safe instead.
>

>> I've never heard of canning either salad, sounds very dangerous to me.
>> See the above paragraph.

> yeah, i don't think the news articles are accurate
> and until they know for sure what the contaminated
> items were it is incorrect to say "home canned" when
> it could just have been improperly prepared or stored
> food.
>

> songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 4/25/2015 11:49 AM, songbird wrote:
> i'm still reading along in the news and hoping
> those folk in Ohio are all able to recover.
>
> they still don't know exactly which foods could
> have been the problem, potato salad and macaroni
> salad, but still ongoing.
>
> the problem i'm seeing is that it is all falling
> under "home canned" but i'm not sure of how accurate
> that is. i mean, i've never known anyone to can
> potato salad or macaroni salad...

Latest I've read is that the potatoes used in the salad were home-canned.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> Latest I've read is that the potatoes used in
> the salad were home-canned.

ick. hope they don't have any still in
the pantry.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 4/28/2015 11:54 AM, songbird wrote:
> Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>> Latest I've read is that the potatoes used in
>> the salad were home-canned.

> ick. hope they don't have any still in
> the pantry.

This is every home cook's worst nightma that the food you've
prepared and shared has made another person ill.

I've never forgotten the insult from my brother-in-law's mother, who
refused dinner with us when she learned I'd canned the tomatoes used
in the sauce: "No, I don't want to get botulism from eating your
canned vegetables." I didn't bother to educate her, I just never
invited her into my home again.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>> Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>>> Latest I've read is that the potatoes used in
>>> the salad were home-canned.

>> ick. hope they don't have any still in
>> the pantry.

> This is every home cook's worst nightma that the food you've
> prepared and shared has made another person ill.

i sure would not ever want that to happen.

> I've never forgotten the insult from my brother-in-law's mother, who
> refused dinner with us when she learned I'd canned the tomatoes used
> in the sauce: "No, I don't want to get botulism from eating your
> canned vegetables." I didn't bother to educate her, I just never
> invited her into my home again.

wow, that's pretty extreme on her part, but now
some tomatoes are not as high acid as they need
to be.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-04-25 16:49:44 +0000, songbird said:

> i'm still reading along in the news and hoping
> those folk in Ohio are all able to recover.
>
> they still don't know exactly which foods could
> have been the problem, potato salad and macaroni
> salad, but still ongoing.
>
> the problem i'm seeing is that it is all falling
> under "home canned" but i'm not sure of how accurate
> that is. i mean, i've never known anyone to can
> potato salad or macaroni salad...
>

> songbird

OMG, 'bird, you'd be AMAZED at what people want to can and DO can. The
mind boggles.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> OMG, 'bird, you'd be AMAZED at what people want to can and DO can. The
> mind boggles.

hey, welcome back!

i guess i live a protected life.

turns out it was canned potatoes was the culprit.
i feel sorry for whoever did them wrong.

did 5 more quarts of three bean salad yesterday. the
beans were a little iffy, but i used them anyways as
by the time they get steamed and then marinate in
vinegar and sugar for a few weeks i probably won't
notice. just a little on the chewy side.

songbird

botulism Andie Z Preserving 8 28-03-2006 11:25 PM
BOTULISM QUESTION The Space Boss Preserving 15 24-09-2005 08:07 AM
Truffles, oil , botulism The Reids General Cooking 17 24-10-2004 11:16 AM
Botulism rogers news Preserving 37 13-10-2004 04:30 PM
Oatmeal and botulism, again Scott General Cooking 3 11-11-2003 11:47 PM