Old 27-08-2014, 07:06 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default more plinks

yesterday was another day of harvesting
tomatoes and putting some of them up.

previously we had some off-brand lids
which we used last year without any
problems, but they changed them and so
we had them popping off. as this is
the first time this happened in the many
years here we took them all back and
bought name-brand lids. all which have
gone well this past evening.

i'm guessing that the problem was that
the off-brand lids have a coating/sealer
that is shiny and does not allow any
steam to escape while the name-brand lids
are not shiny and do allow some steam to
escape.

so with this evenings efforts we have
another ten quarts of tomato chunks now
sealed up and ready to go for the next
year.

i'm looking at another pile of tomatoes
to process, but these are questionable
quality and will require more contemplation
that morning may bring. some strange
thing has happened to them that we've not
seen before in many years of gardening.
so we'll see what is what in the AM...

songbird

Old 27-08-2014, 02:39 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/27/2014 1:06 AM, songbird wrote:
[...]

Hard, yellow spots on the tomatoes? If so it's a stink bug infestation,
that's what hit our tomatoes this year. Ended up composting most of them.

George
Old 27-08-2014, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
Hard, yellow spots on the tomatoes? If so it's a stink bug infestation,
that's what hit our tomatoes this year. Ended up composting most of them.

no, looks like buckeye rot, which i've not
seen before ever. the information i've read
says it happens via contact with the soil but
many of the tomatoes are off the ground and
still affected...

will probably go out and pick any of the
rest that seem to be affected and dispose of
them.

i tried this morning to see if any of them
were useable for putting up, but disliked the
slightly off smell of them and decided to just
dispose of them. so that's 25lbs of tomatoes
to bury...

songbird
Old 28-08-2014, 12:28 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2014-08-27 17:57:02 +0000, songbird said:

i tried this morning to see if any of them
were useable for putting up, but disliked the
slightly off smell of them and decided to just
dispose of them. so that's 25lbs of tomatoes
to bury...

songbird

Ouch!
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Old 28-08-2014, 04:50 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
songbird said:

i tried this morning to see if any of them
were useable for putting up, but disliked the
slightly off smell of them and decided to just
dispose of them. so that's 25lbs of tomatoes
to bury...

Ouch!

yeah, i dint have the heart to go out today and
see how much more damage there might be to pick
off, tomorrow will be another day.

as it turned out, one of the quarts i did in
the first batch on the 16th did not seal as i
thought it had, so today when Ma went to move
it the seal went and it blew. for some reason
that jar decided to ferment, we were making
tomato champaign. yuck. luckily the mess was
mostly isolated to the front of her shirt and
the floor. none of the other five jars of that
batch are fermenting. we'll keep an eye on
them.

oh, yes, the first batch was done with the
lids that seemed problematic and were then
returned. so i'm hoping what was done on
the 26th will hold up better.

songbird

Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

we managed to put some 9 quarts more of
tomato chunks up last night from tomatoes
we rescued from the plants. we still have
some green ones ripening on the tables so
we'll see what comes of those.

songbird
Old 14-09-2014, 04:53 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Old 14-09-2014, 10:03 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
My sympathies!

thanks... i'm sure we'll get on anyways.

i think we've gotten about 30 quarts
so far.

currently Ma is saying that we'll have
to leave the fenced garden patches unplanted
next year. i hope i can convince her that
planting onions/garlic won't hurt a thing.
the peppers, fennel, beets, beans, etc. all
did ok (if you ignore what was eaten by
the grounhogs).

frost warnings are starting up. i'm
not ready to be cold!

we may do some PBDCs the next few weeks.
i'll be thinking of you.

songbird

plinks songbird Preserving 4 21-11-2016 10:16 PM
Plinks gloria p Preserving 2 04-08-2016 03:26 AM
some plinks songbird Preserving 3 29-05-2015 03:00 PM
not quite plinks songbird Preserving 2 10-08-2013 03:38 AM
more plinks songbird Preserving 0 01-08-2012 11:10 PM