Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default more plinks

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>songbird said:
>>
>> i tried this morning to see if any of them
>> were useable for putting up, but disliked the
>> slightly off smell of them and decided to just
>> dispose of them. so that's 25lbs of tomatoes
>> to bury...

> Ouch!

yeah, i dint have the heart to go out today and
see how much more damage there might be to pick
off, tomorrow will be another day.

as it turned out, one of the quarts i did in
the first batch on the 16th did not seal as i
thought it had, so today when Ma went to move
it the seal went and it blew. for some reason
that jar decided to ferment, we were making
tomato champaign. yuck. luckily the mess was
mostly isolated to the front of her shirt and
the floor. none of the other five jars of that
batch are fermenting. we'll keep an eye on
them.

oh, yes, the first batch was done with the
lids that seemed problematic and were then
returned. so i'm hoping what was done on
the 26th will hold up better.

songbird