Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Green beans

We picked about three quarts of green beans today off our one 26 foot
row. Washed, snapped, and stringed they're about to get blanched and
then frozen and bagged in vacuum bags. We also picked three crookneck
squash and three Ichiban eggplant plus a large green bell pepper. In
addition we've got a new batch of chard and oakleaf lettuce in green,
red, and purple, should make an interesting salad. Thinking of shredding
the squash and bagging them for later use in cakes and breads, sliced
squash doesn't keep well and turns to mush, doesn't make much difference
with shredded used in breads and cakes.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> We picked about three quarts of green beans today off our one 26 foot
> row. Washed, snapped, and stringed they're about to get blanched and
> then frozen and bagged in vacuum bags. We also picked three crookneck
> squash and three Ichiban eggplant plus a large green bell pepper. In
> addition we've got a new batch of chard and oakleaf lettuce in green,
> red, and purple, should make an interesting salad. Thinking of
> shredding the squash and bagging them for later use in cakes and
> breads, sliced squash doesn't keep well and turns to mush, doesn't
> make much difference with shredded used in breads and cakes.
>
> George

If you let the squash get about alligator-sized and then shred it, it
freezes a lot better. ;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/3/2012 12:19 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> Thinking of shredding
> the squash and bagging them for later use in cakes and breads, sliced
> squash doesn't keep well and turns to mush, doesn't make much difference
> with shredded used in breads and cakes.

Exactly. I freeze shredded zucchini and the golden zucchini hybrid
in 2 cup vacuum bags for my zucchini bread recipe. When I remember I
have it, it makes zucchini bread as good as fresh squash does. If you
wring it out well, it also adds an almost undetectable, healthy layer to
lasagna.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/3/2012 12:29 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:

>> Thinking of
>> shredding the squash and bagging them for later use in cakes and
>> breads, sliced squash doesn't keep well and turns to mush, doesn't
>> make much difference with shredded used in breads and cakes.
>>
>> George

> If you let the squash get about alligator-sized and then shred it, it
> freezes a lot better. ;-)
>
> Bob

It's nicer at that size if you remove the seeds before shredding.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p > wrote:
> On 5/3/2012 12:29 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Thinking of
>>> shredding the squash and bagging them for later use in cakes and
>>> breads, sliced squash doesn't keep well and turns to mush, doesn't
>>> make much difference with shredded used in breads and cakes.
>>>
>>> George

>> If you let the squash get about alligator-sized and then shred it, it
>> freezes a lot better. ;-)
>>
>> Bob

> It's nicer at that size if you remove the seeds before shredding.
>
> gloria p

Then save the seeds and compost the damned zucchini...

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On May 4, 12:07*pm, Dave Bslderstone > wrote:
> gloria p > wrote:

> >> If you let the squash get about alligator-sized and then shred it, it
> >> freezes a lot better. ;-)

> >> Bob

> > It's nicer at that size if you remove the seeds before shredding.

> > gloria p

> Then save the seeds and compost the damned zucchini...

LOL
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi All, If I have to freeze zucchini, I cut them into 5/8-3/4 inch slices &
put themraw into Tomato Juice or Tomato sauce to cover. I can then use them
for tomato zucchini soup, spaghetti sauce, or chili. The squash stays firm
when you thaw it out. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/3/2012 1:29 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> We picked about three quarts of green beans today off our one 26 foot
>> row. Washed, snapped, and stringed they're about to get blanched and
>> then frozen and bagged in vacuum bags. We also picked three crookneck
>> squash and three Ichiban eggplant plus a large green bell pepper. In
>> addition we've got a new batch of chard and oakleaf lettuce in green,
>> red, and purple, should make an interesting salad. Thinking of
>> shredding the squash and bagging them for later use in cakes and
>> breads, sliced squash doesn't keep well and turns to mush, doesn't
>> make much difference with shredded used in breads and cakes.
>>
>> George

> If you let the squash get about alligator-sized and then shred it, it
> freezes a lot better. ;-)
>
> Bob

Eons ago there was an email going around about a guy proud of his squash
crop, zukes if I remember right. Then as the plants continued to produce
he started complaining that the neighbors no longer wanted to see him
coming with a bag. Then the vines took over the rest of his garden. At
the end he used the zukes to build a new garden shed but vowed to never
plant anymore squash.

Looks like we're eating more squash today.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/3/2012 8:35 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 5/3/2012 12:29 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Thinking of
>>> shredding the squash and bagging them for later use in cakes and
>>> breads, sliced squash doesn't keep well and turns to mush, doesn't
>>> make much difference with shredded used in breads and cakes.
>>>
>>> George

>> If you let the squash get about alligator-sized and then shred it, it
>> freezes a lot better. ;-)
>>
>> Bob

> It's nicer at that size if you remove the seeds before shredding.
>
> gloria p

Dehydrated squash seeds make nice snacks. Think store bought pumpkin
seeds but grown by you. Squash = pumpkin = squash, all same-same.