Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default More green beans

With some recent rain we put up another four pints of blanched and
frozen green beans today.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of making more yellow squash pickles. This is the
best crop of summer squash we've ever had here. Unfortunately the
Ichiban eggplant aren't producing well at all, barely get enough to eat
some fresh eggplant occasionally. Much of the time the squirrels get
them first, take one bite and drop the fruit on the ground.

We lost our peach tree this spring, looks to me like peach borer's got
into it early on, pretty good sized piles of sawdust on the ground and
the typical weeping borer holes. Don't think I will try any more peach
trees until I figure out a way to keep the borer's out.

Cucumbers still aren't producing like they should, called my friend with
the bees and he already has all his hives placed. Waited to late I guess.

So this year, no peaches, no plums, very few figs, very few quince and
persimmons. Strange weather patterns for the last three years.

That's all the news, good and bad. Goodnight.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> With some recent rain we put up another four pints of blanched and
> frozen green beans today.
>
> Tomorrow I'm thinking of making more yellow squash pickles. This is the
> best crop of summer squash we've ever had here. Unfortunately the
> Ichiban eggplant aren't producing well at all, barely get enough to eat
> some fresh eggplant occasionally. Much of the time the squirrels get
> them first, take one bite and drop the fruit on the ground.
>
> We lost our peach tree this spring, looks to me like peach borer's got
> into it early on, pretty good sized piles of sawdust on the ground and
> the typical weeping borer holes. Don't think I will try any more peach
> trees until I figure out a way to keep the borer's out.
>
> Cucumbers still aren't producing like they should, called my friend with
> the bees and he already has all his hives placed. Waited to late I guess.
>
> So this year, no peaches, no plums, very few figs, very few quince and
> persimmons. Strange weather patterns for the last three years.
>
> That's all the news, good and bad. Goodnight.

My garden is still mostly dandelions and other weeds. I've got half of
it weeded and I finally got one pepper plant in the ground tonight with
a wire cage around it. And there's a group of volunteer crookneck
squash that came up in a good spot and I'm trying to protect them.

I've been sick for the past few weeks and still have no energy, but
that's not the real problem. Wife got a new puppy last year. A
miniature Australian Shepherd (about 20 pounds.) Cute as the dickens,
and she knows she's cute. They took an energetic dog and *concentrated*
it in a smaller package. "Penny" loves to dig, and she follows me
around and watches everything I do and then when I leave, she "helps".
She dug up all the buckeyes I planted last fall.

So over the weekend I put an electric fence around the garden. But
Penny has so much fur it doesn't shock her unless she puts her nose on
the wire or hits it with her ears. She's only done that once. With
most dogs once is enough, but it didn't take her long to figure out if
she kept her head down and goes fast she can scoot under the wire
without getting zapped.

So it's probably not gonna be much of a garden this year.

OTOH, the apple tree set a bumper crop in spite of two 22° hard freezes
while it was blooming. I've thinned the fruit severely and been keeping
'em sprayed, so I might actually get an apple crop this year. Unless
the dog pulls them all off. She was watching me thin 'em... She can
jump pretty high...

Best regards,
Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/4/2012 11:12 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> With some recent rain we put up another four pints of blanched and
>> frozen green beans today.
>>
>> Tomorrow I'm thinking of making more yellow squash pickles. This is
>> the best crop of summer squash we've ever had here. Unfortunately the
>> Ichiban eggplant aren't producing well at all, barely get enough to
>> eat some fresh eggplant occasionally. Much of the time the squirrels
>> get them first, take one bite and drop the fruit on the ground.
>>
>> We lost our peach tree this spring, looks to me like peach borer's got
>> into it early on, pretty good sized piles of sawdust on the ground and
>> the typical weeping borer holes. Don't think I will try any more peach
>> trees until I figure out a way to keep the borer's out.
>>
>> Cucumbers still aren't producing like they should, called my friend
>> with the bees and he already has all his hives placed. Waited to late
>> I guess.
>>
>> So this year, no peaches, no plums, very few figs, very few quince and
>> persimmons. Strange weather patterns for the last three years.
>>
>> That's all the news, good and bad. Goodnight.

> My garden is still mostly dandelions and other weeds. I've got half of
> it weeded and I finally got one pepper plant in the ground tonight with
> a wire cage around it. And there's a group of volunteer crookneck squash
> that came up in a good spot and I'm trying to protect them.
>
> I've been sick for the past few weeks and still have no energy, but
> that's not the real problem. Wife got a new puppy last year. A miniature
> Australian Shepherd (about 20 pounds.) Cute as the dickens, and she
> knows she's cute. They took an energetic dog and *concentrated* it in a
> smaller package. "Penny" loves to dig, and she follows me around and
> watches everything I do and then when I leave, she "helps". She dug up
> all the buckeyes I planted last fall.
>
> So over the weekend I put an electric fence around the garden. But Penny
> has so much fur it doesn't shock her unless she puts her nose on the
> wire or hits it with her ears. She's only done that once. With most dogs
> once is enough, but it didn't take her long to figure out if she kept
> her head down and goes fast she can scoot under the wire without getting
> zapped.

We had a bunch of hogs one time we were raising, they would get out of
the sty and run through the electric fence, squealing the whole time,
never slowed them down. Came home from work one afternoon and the love
of my life was chasing a piglet across the field with a crab net. Can't
stop a girl that was raised alongside Chesapeake Bay from using her crab
net.

> So it's probably not gonna be much of a garden this year.
>
> OTOH, the apple tree set a bumper crop in spite of two 22° hard freezes
> while it was blooming. I've thinned the fruit severely and been keeping
> 'em sprayed, so I might actually get an apple crop this year. Unless the
> dog pulls them all off. She was watching me thin 'em... She can jump
> pretty high...
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

We may get a few quince and persimmons this year if we're still here
when they ripen. I've always wanted an apple tree and may try a dwarf
tree once we settle in in the Houston area. Probably get a crab apple to
be the pollinator. There are a few apple trees that will grown in USDA
Zone 9b, Ein Shiemer is one, developed by the Iraelis, Granny Smith is
another, both are good pollinators for other apples so I hear.

I do have some good dog receipes Bob, just let me know.