Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default oops, did I go too far?

OK, so I made a 4 gallon batch of ham and bean soup today with the plans to
can the leftovers. Usually I get the beans about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way done
and then process in the canner. This time work got in the way and I wound up
slow simmering them longer than planned and they are completely done. Nice
composition and mouth feel now, but I'm worried that they will turn to mush
by the time they are finished processing in the canner.

Whatcha think, do I just need to spread the wealth and find homes for
several batches to be eaten soon or is it worth a shot in the canner?

KW

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 12/16/2010 4:33 PM, KW wrote:
> OK, so I made a 4 gallon batch of ham and bean soup today with the plans to
> can the leftovers. Usually I get the beans about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way done
> and then process in the canner. This time work got in the way and I wound up
> slow simmering them longer than planned and they are completely done. Nice
> composition and mouth feel now, but I'm worried that they will turn to mush
> by the time they are finished processing in the canner.
>

> Whatcha think, do I just need to spread the wealth and find homes for
> several batches to be eaten soon or is it worth a shot in the canner?
>
> KW

I think they will be mush by the time they are properly canned. YMMV.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 12/16/2010 4:33 PM, KW wrote:
>> OK, so I made a 4 gallon batch of ham and bean soup today with the
>> plans to
>> can the leftovers. Usually I get the beans about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way
>> done
>> and then process in the canner. This time work got in the way and I
>> wound up
>> slow simmering them longer than planned and they are completely done.
>> Nice
>> composition and mouth feel now, but I'm worried that they will turn to
>> mush
>> by the time they are finished processing in the canner.
>>

>> Whatcha think, do I just need to spread the wealth and find homes for
>> several batches to be eaten soon or is it worth a shot in the canner?
>>
>> KW
>>

> I think they will be mush by the time they are properly canned. YMMV.

Suggestion: Freeze the soup on either rigid or ziplock containers.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:33:46 -0500, "KW" <keith_w.net> wrote:

>OK, so I made a 4 gallon batch of ham and bean soup today with the plans to
>can the leftovers. Usually I get the beans about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way done
>and then process in the canner. This time work got in the way and I wound up
>slow simmering them longer than planned and they are completely done. Nice
>composition and mouth feel now, but I'm worried that they will turn to mush
>by the time they are finished processing in the canner.
>

>Whatcha think, do I just need to spread the wealth and find homes for
>several batches to be eaten soon or is it worth a shot in the canner?
>
>KW

I think that adding some Pickle Crisp (the Ball brand name for a calcium chloride
product) would crisp up the beans, and perhaps some other ingredients in your
soup. (IIRC, not the meat.)
This might take more than a few weeks to be noticeable.
-
IMO, soup is supposed to be soupy, not crisp, so I wouldn't try, but I'm not you,
or the people you cook for.
SDT
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"KW" > wrote:

> OK, so I made a 4 gallon batch of ham and bean soup today with the plans to
> can the leftovers. Usually I get the beans about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way done
> and then process in the canner. This time work got in the way and I wound up
> slow simmering them longer than planned and they are completely done. Nice
> composition and mouth feel now, but I'm worried that they will turn to mush
> by the time they are finished processing in the canner.
>

> Whatcha think, do I just need to spread the wealth and find homes for
> several batches to be eaten soon or is it worth a shot in the canner?
>
> KW

It's worth at least two jars for a trial, Keith!

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Sunny <Sunny>
wrote:
> IMHO, a mushy home-canned bean is worth 2 from the store. I also
> think mushy beans make great bean soup, just cook less. I've had this
> same same happen to me, and saved them this way.
>
> Refards,
> Lou

I agree.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "KW" > wrote:
>
>> OK, so I made a 4 gallon batch of ham and bean soup today with the plans
>> can the leftovers. Usually I get the beans about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way
>> done
>> and then process in the canner. This time work got in the way and I wound
>> up
>> slow simmering them longer than planned and they are completely done.
>> Nice
>> composition and mouth feel now, but I'm worried that they will turn to
>> mush
>> by the time they are finished processing in the canner.
>>

>> Whatcha think, do I just need to spread the wealth and find homes for
>> several batches to be eaten soon or is it worth a shot in the canner?
>>
>> KW

> It's worth at least two jars for a trial, Keith!
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
> "Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
> Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller

That's what I thought too Barb. After a few giveaways and meals of our own I
wound up with 5 quarts of Creamy-ish Ham & Navy Bean soup. Worst case
scenario I can add it to a pot of fresh made beans to get the body I want
while preserving the original flavor.
I'm heading to my office in Ham Lake, MN for a couple of days next week.
Please be sure and order extra snow for me as we've only had about 8 inches
in NE Georgia so far this season!

Thanks for all the replies folks I've been away for a few days doing some
holiday baking. Current totals are

1 White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake with Almond Sandie + White and Dark
Chocolate crust
1 Triple Turtle Cheesecake
4 Dozen Pecan Praline Cookies
6 Dozen Peanut Butter Cookies
5 Dozen Chocolate Chip Cookies
and 200 or so Buckeyes

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"KW" > wrote:
> I'm heading to my office in Ham Lake, MN for a couple of days next week.
> Please be sure and order extra snow for me as we've only had about 8 inches
> in NE Georgia so far this season!

How long are you going to be here and how far south will you be? I'm 20
minutes south of the airport. Got time for a cup of coffee?
Reply by putting a dot between my first and last names.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "KW" > wrote:
>> I'm heading to my office in Ham Lake, MN for a couple of days next week.
>> Please be sure and order extra snow for me as we've only had about 8
>> inches
>> in NE Georgia so far this season!

> How long are you going to be here and how far south will you be? I'm 20
> minutes south of the airport. Got time for a cup of coffee?
> Reply by putting a dot between my first and last names.
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
> "Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
> Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller

I'll be in tomorrow afternoon and through about 11am Thursday,
working/staying in Ham Lake/Blaine area ~35 miles north of the airport.
Wednesday is a crazy full day but might be able to sneak out early Thursday
on the way back to the airport...what say ye? Pearls optional.

KW

Oops! Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] General Cooking 17 14-06-2016 10:05 PM
oops Stormmee Asian Cooking 1 08-04-2010 03:31 AM
Oops, I did it again... maxine in ri General Cooking 73 11-10-2007 12:09 AM
Oops! Michael Barbecue 17 04-06-2005 12:30 AM