Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oops, I did it again...

Found some basil on the quick-sale shelf. Had some pinenuts in the
freezer. Cheese sitting around looking for something to do. Threw in
some garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil, and now I have about a cup
of pesto with no place to go.

We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top, with the last of
the potato salad for dinner tonight, but now I don't really know what
to do with the rest besides mix it up with some pasta.

Suggestions? I am going to my sister's for the 4th, so maybe
something appetizer-ish? She's a low-carber, and Mom's on no-added-
salt but doesn't let that stop her too often<g>.

Dumb question, but can it be frozen?

maxine in ri, pesto newbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top, with the last of
> the potato salad for dinner tonight, but now I don't really know what
> to do with the rest besides mix it up with some pasta.
>
> Dumb question, but can it be frozen?
>
> maxine in ri, pesto newbie

Yes, you can freeze pesto I never use it for anything but tossing with
pasta myself.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> maxine in ri wrote:
>> We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top, with the last of
>> the potato salad for dinner tonight, but now I don't really know what
>> to do with the rest besides mix it up with some pasta.
>>
>> Dumb question, but can it be frozen?
>>
>> maxine in ri, pesto newbie

> Yes, you can freeze pesto I never use it for anything but tossing
> with pasta myself.
>
> Jill

It's good as a pizza base/spread.

Also good with toasted turkish bread slices/fingers, as a dip, along with
some olives and grilled capsicum

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
>> We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top, with the last of
>> the potato salad for dinner tonight, but now I don't really know what
>> to do with the rest besides mix it up with some pasta.
>>
>> Dumb question, but can it be frozen?
>>
>> maxine in ri, pesto newbie

> Yes, you can freeze pesto I never use it for anything but tossing
> with pasta myself.
>
> Jill

Hmmmmm........tossing pasta with myself. That conjures up lots of images,
Jill. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top, with the last of
> the potato salad for dinner tonight, but now I don't really know what
> to do with the rest besides mix it up with some pasta.
>
> Suggestions? I am going to my sister's for the 4th, so maybe
> something appetizer-ish? She's a low-carber, and Mom's on no-added-
> salt but doesn't let that stop her too often<g>.

In Liguria, the hometown of pesto, they use it mainly in pasta (mandilli de
saea, trofie or trofiette) but also in other dishes. One is minestrone, to
give it a "correction". Another are panigacci, or testaroli as you move
southward along the coast, at the border between Tuscany and Liguria. They
are a kind of no-yeast bread which gets cooked between clay discs ("testi",
origin of "testaroli") put in the chimney beside the embers. Once cooked
like that, the panigacci or testaroli can be kept for a long time and then
you only need to boil them as with pasta, and then dress them with pesto.
Another use is in salads, less common than the thers but anyway it's done,
always in the liguria - tuscany area.

> Dumb question, but can it be frozen?

In that case it is better to leave the cheese out of pesto, and add it only
when you'll use it.
Even better: without adding the cheese, don't freeze the pesto, put it in a
small container and make sure it is well covered with olive oil; it will
last some weeks in the fridge.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 10:48 pm, PeterLucas > wrote:

> It's good as a pizza base/spread.

That's not a bad idea. I just found out that we need a dish for a
potluck tomorrow.

> Also good with toasted turkish bread slices/fingers, as a dip, along with
> some olives and grilled capsicum

What is turkish bread? Similar to pita or the large circular Arabic
breads that are (usually) torn and used as scoops for the various
dips?

The latter sounds even better, especially since lately the capsicums
are kind of sad looking and not really nice for salad.

Thanks for the suggestions.
maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 10:46 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top, with the last of
> > the potato salad for dinner tonight, but now I don't really know what
> > to do with the rest besides mix it up with some pasta.

> > Dumb question, but can it be frozen?

> > maxine in ri, pesto newbie

> Yes, you can freeze pesto I never use it for anything but tossing with
> pasta myself.
>
> Jill

Good. i already put the cheese in (well, I didn't really figure that
there was going to be _That_ much )
so from what others say, it may need some adjustments when it's
thawed. No biggie.

Thanks,
maxine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 6:28 am, "Vilco" > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top, with the last of
> > the potato salad for dinner tonight, but now I don't really know what
> > to do with the rest besides mix it up with some pasta.

> > Suggestions? I am going to my sister's for the 4th, so maybe
> > something appetizer-ish? She's a low-carber, and Mom's on no-added-
> > salt but doesn't let that stop her too often<g>.

> In Liguria, the hometown of pesto, they use it mainly in pasta (mandilli de
> saea, trofie or trofiette) but also in other dishes. One is minestrone, to
> give it a "correction".

That sounds like a good use. Especially if I have to freeze it, so
texture won't be as much of a concern.

Another are panigacci, or testaroli as you move
> southward along the coast, at the border between Tuscany and Liguria. They
> are a kind of no-yeast bread which gets cooked between clay discs ("testi",
> origin of "testaroli") put in the chimney beside the embers. Once cooked
> like that, the panigacci or testaroli can be kept for a long time and then
> you only need to boil them as with pasta, and then dress them with pesto.

A bunch of us are going to Federal Hill this weekend. (Providence's
Italian mecca) I'll have to see if they sell either of those, or ask,
since I'm having a hard time picturing these. A baked bread that's
then boiled is sort of the opposite of a bagel that's boiled then
baked.

> Another use is in salads, less common than the others but anyway it's done,
> always in the liguria - tuscany area.

That's a use that may keep me from freezing it. I was also planning
on making some taboulli using mint, and adding some of the pesto (even
tho cheese is not traditional) might be nice. (Leila, can I still
call it tabouli if it has pesto mixed in? The word of the Princess is
Law.<g>)

> > Dumb question, but can it be frozen?

> In that case it is better to leave the cheese out of pesto, and add it only
> when you'll use it.
> Even better: without adding the cheese, don't freeze the pesto, put it in a
> small container and make sure it is well covered with olive oil; it will
> last some weeks in the fridge.

thank you! With so many suggestions, I don't think we'll have enough
to need to freeze it.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top,
> Dumb question, but can it be frozen?
>
> maxine in ri, pesto newbie

I don't think I'd freeze salmon whether it has pesto on top or not.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ... now I have about a cup of pesto with no place to go...

> Suggestions?

Serve hamburgers with pesto on them. I had one at Applebee's the other
day (OK, I know some will smirk at the name - but it is my 5 year old's
first choice) and it was surprisingly REALLY good. It was called a
Bruschetta burger - here's their description of it:

This 100% Angus burger is juicy, robust—and like no other. It's crowned
with a zesty pesto sauce and fresh bruschetta mix, and set on thick
wedges of mozzarella. Served between grilled foccacia bread for a
delicious crunch. Crispy garlic fries sprinkled with shaved Parmesan
complete this classic.

And it really was as good as it sounds. Seriously.

Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

>> Also good with toasted turkish bread slices/fingers, as a dip, along
>> with some olives and grilled capsicum

> What is turkish bread? Similar to pita or the large circular Arabic
> breads that are (usually) torn and used as scoops for the various
> dips?

The latter should be named khobez, at least in the sirian region.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sharon V said...

> Serve hamburgers with pesto on them.

I've pesto'd cheeseburgers before. Delicious! I just slather some on for each
bite otherwise it can be a dripping mess.

I also meant to try pesto on a baked potato but pesto is too high in sat. fat
for my diet for the time being. (

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I also meant to try pesto on a baked potato but pesto is too high in
> sat. fat for my diet for the time being. (

Saturated fat? In pesto there should be just the fat from the evo oil and
the two cheeses, and the latter is minimal. Where is the saturated fat
coming from?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> I also meant to try pesto on a baked potato but pesto is too high in
>> sat. fat for my diet for the time being. (

> Saturated fat? In pesto there should be just the fat from the evo oil and
> the two cheeses, and the latter is minimal. Where is the saturated fat
> coming from?

Parmesan cheese and pine nuts.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 8:13 am, Sheldon > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
>
> > We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top,
> > Dumb question, but can it be frozen?

> > maxine in ri, pesto newbie

> I don't think I'd freeze salmon whether it has pesto on top or not.
>
> Sheldon

You're right, I'd never freeze the salmon. I apologize for being
unclear, it was the pesto I was considering freezing.

thanks,
maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

>> Saturated fat? In pesto there should be just the fat from the evo
>> oil and the two cheeses, and the latter is minimal. Where is the
>> saturated fat coming from?

> Parmesan cheese and pine nuts.

Parmigiano, with just 28-29% fat, is one of the leanest cheeses, and the
amount of parmigiano in pesto is not so high to make pesto a
saturated-fat-full food.
Don't know about the pinenuts, but methinks also them aren't enough bring
pesto to a high level of saturated fats, at least with the ligurian recipe:

INGREDIENTS FOR 600 GR. PASTA (1.33 pounds)
Basil - 200g
Extravirgin olive oil - 200g
Grated parmigiano - 3 tablespoons
Grated pecorino - 3 tablespoons
Garlic - 2 cloves
Pine nuts - q tablespoon
Coarse sea salt - some grains
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco said...

> Parmigiano, with just 28-29% fat, is one of the leanest cheeses, and the
> amount of parmigiano in pesto is not so high to make pesto a
> saturated-fat-full food.
> Don't know about the pinenuts, but methinks also them aren't enough bring
> pesto to a high level of saturated fats, at least with the ligurian recipe:

My diet is limited to 6g sat. fat daily. I can easily go over that with four
tablespoons over pasta. I'm pretty heavy handed when it comes to pesto!

I don't include the pecorino cheese.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> Found some basil on the quick-sale shelf. Had some pinenuts in the
> freezer. Cheese sitting around looking for something to do. Threw in
> some garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil, and now I have about a cup
> of pesto with no place to go.
>
> We did have some sockeye salmon with pesto on top, with the last of
> the potato salad for dinner tonight, but now I don't really know what
> to do with the rest besides mix it up with some pasta.
>
> Suggestions? I am going to my sister's for the 4th, so maybe
> something appetizer-ish? She's a low-carber, and Mom's on no-added-
> salt but doesn't let that stop her too often<g>.
>
> Dumb question, but can it be frozen?
>
> maxine in ri, pesto newbie

I use pesto for seasoning lightly sauted green beans or zucchini or any
sauted vegetables that need an extra zip.
Add to pasta salad.
Mix with cream cheese for a great dip for vegetables.

Rusty in MD
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vileco" wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > I also meant to try pesto on a baked potato but pesto is too high in
> > sat. fat for my diet for the time being. (

> Saturated fat? In pesto there should be just the fat from the evo oil and
> the two cheeses, and the latter is minimal. Where is the saturated fat
> coming from?

Your fat head! hehe

What two cheeses... classic pesto contains only parmesan... I suppose
your version contains pimento cheese whiz too.

Btw, you forgot a key ingredient... proves you don't know food...
*pine nuts* contain lots of fat, but it's not saturated either... what
kinda dumbass WOP are you to forget the pine nuts... because you never
made pesto, in fact you never ate pesto is why.

That said guinea pesto is the biggest waste of ingredients on the
planet.... leave it to the useless unbathed guinea *******s to come up
with taste in ass pond scum and call it sauce.

The ORIGINAL Greek version is far superior... uses pistachios instead
of pine nuts, asparagus instead of basil, feta instead of parmesan,
and kalamata olives instead of olive oil... try it, a million times
better than that dago dirt. Obviously the dagos stole the concept but
since none can actually cook they fercockted it up. <g>

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

>> Saturated fat? In pesto there should be just the fat from the evo
>> oil and the two cheeses, and the latter is minimal. Where is the
>> saturated fat coming from?

> Your fat head! hehe
>
> What two cheeses... classic pesto contains only parmesan...

Your ignorance is boundless.

> what kinda dumbass WOP are you to forget the pine nuts...

ROTFL. Read the recipe I posted, ass.

> The ORIGINAL Greek version is far superior...

Those italian youngsters up in NY must have kicked your ass just fine. Well
done.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pesto is great, but I detest pine nuts, so I'll leave them out. I do
like the idea of pistachios, so maybe I'll try it next time. When I do
make it, I freeze in an ice cube tray, and then put in a freezer bag
after they've frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
merryb > wrote:

> Pesto is great, but I detest pine nuts, so I'll leave them out. I do
> like the idea of pistachios, so maybe I'll try it next time. When I do
> make it, I freeze in an ice cube tray, and then put in a freezer bag
> after they've frozen.

Some people use pecans.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>

>>> Saturated fat? In pesto there should be just the fat from the evo
>>> oil and the two cheeses, and the latter is minimal. Where is the
>>> saturated fat coming from?

>> Your fat head! hehe
>>
>> What two cheeses... classic pesto contains only parmesan...

> Your ignorance is boundless.

Is it? Your recipe calls for both Parmesan and Romano cheese, but most
recipes I've come across ask for only Parmesan (a couple specified
Romano, none called for both).

>> what kinda dumbass WOP are you to forget the pine nuts...

> ROTFL. Read the recipe I posted, ass.

Right, pine nuts are listed, just above "Coarse sea salt - some grains."
Very insightful. How much is "some"? Which sea must it originate from?
And would using kosher salt be an abomination?

Further, how much is "q tablespoon" of pine nuts?

>> The ORIGINAL Greek version is far superior...

> Those italian youngsters up in NY must have kicked your ass just fine. Well
> done.

Why you say that? Cuz you never had the Greek version? I haven't, but
just from looking at the ingredients I'd love to try it. Who knows, it
might kick *your* ass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 11:40 am, merryb > wrote:
> Pesto is great, but I detest pine nuts, so I'll leave them out. I do
> like the idea of pistachios, so maybe I'll try it next time. When I do
> make it, I freeze in an ice cube tray, and then put in a freezer bag
> after they've frozen.

Walnuts aren't bad either. I didn't have enough pine nuts for the
recipe from JoC, so threw in walnuts to make up the difference.
There's recipes out there for walnut pesto, but those may call for
mint....

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 12:40?pm, maxine in ri > wrote:
> On Jul 3, 11:40 am, merryb > wrote:
>
> > Pesto is great, but I detest pine nuts, so I'll leave them out. I do
> > like the idea of pistachios, so maybe I'll try it next time. When I do
> > make it, I freeze in an ice cube tray, and then put in a freezer bag
> > after they've frozen.

> Walnuts aren't bad either.

Toasted pepitos (pumpkin seeds) work better than pine nuts, and they
are cheap. Sunflower seeds would work too. In fact with pesto one
can substitute most any ingredients, no rule says it has to be basil,
I hate basil as much as I hate cilantro, any recipe that calls for
basil, I always use parsley instead. Anyway, I don't consider pesto a
sauce, as greasy as it is it's definitely a condiment, a greasy vile
vilco dago condiment! hehe

Anyway, cooking is all about imagination and knowing what to
substitute (can't learn that, need to be born with that innate
talent)... anyone who *needs* a recipe is not a cook, those are simply
instructions followers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
> Vileco wrote:

> >> Your fat head! hehe

> >> What two cheeses... classic pesto contains only parmesan...

> > Your ignorance is boundless.

> Is it? Your recipe calls for both Parmesan and Romano cheese, but most
> recipes I've come across ask for only Parmesan (a couple specified
> Romano, none called for both).
>
> >> what kinda dumbass WOP are you to forget the pine nuts...

> > ROTFL. Read the recipe I posted, ass.

> Right, pine nuts are listed, just above "Coarse sea salt - some grains."
> Very insightful. How much is "some"? Which sea must it originate from?
> And would using kosher salt be an abomination?
>
> Further, how much is "q tablespoon" of pine nuts?

But the vile vilco misses the point.... that there are more than two
sources of oil, not just from cheese and olives... there's also oil
from the nuts... vile vilco is a pointy headed moroon... and a slimey
greasy OILY *******.

> >> The ORIGINAL Greek version is far superior...

> > Those italian youngsters up in NY must have kicked your ass just fine. Well
> > done.

> Why you say that? Cuz you never had the Greek version? I haven't, but
> just from looking at the ingredients I'd love to try it. Who knows, it
> might kick *your* ass.

I didn't have to read vile vilco's recipe to know he has never cooked
anything edible... anyone thinking to combine two different hard
grating cheeses is a kitchen imbecile... the vile vilco putz also goes
around collecting and blending the dregs from wine glasses after a
party on his janitoral job, that's how he came to discover rose, the
dregs from reds with whites.

Two different grating cheeses, what a KITCHEN IMBECILE... Vile Vilco
is the kind of Italian embarrassment that promotes the labeling of
dagos, guidos, guineas, and WOPS! Smarmy little scion of a pick
pocket and a putana... greaseball!

Italy didn't earn the title "Cesspool of the Med" for nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article . com>,
> merryb > wrote:
>
>> Pesto is great, but I detest pine nuts, so I'll leave them out. I do
>> like the idea of pistachios, so maybe I'll try it next time. When I
>> do make it, I freeze in an ice cube tray, and then put in a freezer
>> bag after they've frozen.

> Some people use pecans.

Walnuts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote:

> Threw in
> some garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil, and now I have about a cup
> of pesto with no place to go.

Use it in minestrone alla genovese, for stuffing mushrooms or tomatoes,
or for mixing with potatoes. Also serve it with pasta typical for
Luguria, such as trenette or troffie.

Me, I much prefer pesto made with ramson (wild garlic, bear's leek,
etc.).

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

>>> What two cheeses... classic pesto contains only parmesan...

>> Your ignorance is boundless.

> Is it? Your recipe calls for both Parmesan and Romano cheese, but most
> recipes I've come across ask for only Parmesan (a couple specified
> Romano, none called for both).

The recipe I posted is the only one admitted for the DOP product (EU
regulation) whose name is "pesto alla genovese", stop. The rest is another
product, another concoction, another thing.

> Right, pine nuts are listed, just above "Coarse sea salt - some
> grains." Very insightful. How much is "some"? Which sea must it
> originate from? And would using kosher salt be an abomination?

No specifications about the salt, just about the oil (must be extra virgin
olive oil from liguria or a nearby region and complain with 762/02/CEE -now
UE- rules) the pine nuts (must be Pinus Pinea from the mediterranean area)
and, obviously, the basil (must be "basilico genovese" from a defined area
in Liguria).

> Further, how much is "q tablespoon" of pine nuts?

Typo: should have been "1 tablespoon"

>>> The ORIGINAL Greek version is far superior...

>> Those italian youngsters up in NY must have kicked your ass just
>> fine. Well done.

> Why you say that?

Because I couldn't care less of a greek concoction when I'm speaking of
pesto. And Shelly's animosity versus italians has to have a reason.

> Cuz you never had the Greek version? I haven't, but just from looking at
> the ingredients I'd love to try it. Who knows, it might kick *your* ass.

Maybe once I'll try the greek version, but it's totally different from Pesto
we were talking here, and probably with many other uses.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> I didn't have to read vile vilco's recipe to know he has never cooked
> anything edible... anyone thinking to combine two different hard
> grating cheeses is a kitchen imbecile...

This is EU law, as usual the imbecile results to be you:
http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php
Use babelfish if you can't read italian, and while you leave don't let the
door spank you where the Lord split ya.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 06:55:22 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> I didn't have to read vile vilco's recipe to know he has never cooked
>> anything edible... anyone thinking to combine two different hard
>> grating cheeses is a kitchen imbecile...

>This is EU law, as usual the imbecile results to be you:
>http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php
>Use babelfish if you can't read italian, and while you leave don't let the
>door spank you where the Lord split ya.

sheldon has enough trouble being an imbecile in one language. i doubt
he reads italian.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 1:48 am, "Vilco" > wrote:
>And Shelly's animosity versus italians has to have a reason.

When he writes like he's off his meds, I just ignore him. He is an
equal-opportunity insulter, tho, so don't take it personally.
I did add some of the pesto to today's tabouli, but only to half.
There's a lactose-intolerant family coming to the picnic, so the other
half is cheese free.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:

>>> Your ignorance is boundless.

>> Is it? Your recipe calls for both Parmesan and Romano cheese, but most
>> recipes I've come across ask for only Parmesan (a couple specified
>> Romano, none called for both).

> The recipe I posted is the only one admitted for the DOP product (EU
> regulation) whose name is "pesto alla genovese", stop. The rest is another
> product, another concoction, another thing.

Yes, but I read the page you cited for Sheldon's edification,
http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php.

I can easily be wrong but as I see it the recipe calls for one cheese or
the other, not both, as long as the cheese used is correctly classified
per DOP.

Also, if the recipe you posted is supposed to be DOP Pesto Genovese, you
failed. You
left out the walnuts.

>> Right, pine nuts are listed, just above "Coarse sea salt - some
>> grains." Very insightful. How much is "some"? Which sea must it
>> originate from? And would using kosher salt be an abomination?

> No specifications about the salt, just about the oil (must be extra virgin
> olive oil from liguria or a nearby region and complain with 762/02/CEE -now
> UE- rules) the pine nuts (must be Pinus Pinea from the mediterranean area)
> and, obviously, the basil (must be "basilico genovese" from a defined area
> in Liguria).

Right, again only if striving for DOP Pesto Genovese. And don't forget
the walnuts.

>> Further, how much is "q tablespoon" of pine nuts?

> Typo: should have been "1 tablespoon"

>>> Those italian youngsters up in NY must have kicked your ass just
>>> fine. Well done.

>> Why you say that?

> Because I couldn't care less of a greek concoction when I'm speaking of
> pesto. And Shelly's animosity versus italians has to have a reason.

Maybe it's just to cheese you off.

Get it? To *cheese* you off? Cheese! Get it?

>> Cuz you never had the Greek version? I haven't, but just from looking at
>> the ingredients I'd love to try it. Who knows, it might kick *your* ass.

> Maybe once I'll try the greek version, but it's totally different from Pesto
> we were talking here, and probably with many other uses.

No, it probably has the same uses, and I don't think that it's "totally"
different. There will be differences, yes. But totally different? Doubt it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

> Yes, but I read the page you cited for Sheldon's edification,
> http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php.
>
> I can easily be wrong but as I see it the recipe calls for one cheese
> or the other, not both, as long as the cheese used is correctly
> classified per DOP.

I quote from that page:
> - II formaggio deve appartenere alle tipologie DOP "Parmigiano Reggiano" o
> "Grana Padano" a alla tipologia Pecorino DOP

1) I don't never care of gran apadano as an option to parmigiano, so I
reported only parmigiano for the first part.
2) It contains a typo (original on the website) in the letter "a" after
"grana padano". It should be an "e" which means "and". You can check this in
the same webpage under he page "La ricetta ufficiale del pesto" (link on the
same page you read), where it says
"Formaggio grattugiato - 3 cucchiai di parmigiano e 3 di pecorino"
which translates to "3 tablespoons parmigiano ANA 3 tablespoons pwecorino".
Who's giving away all those recipes with only one type of cheese?

> Also, if the recipe you posted is supposed to be DOP Pesto Genovese,
> you failed. You left out the walnuts.

No, you are failing to understand the word "optional" (facoltativo,
opzionale).
Walnuts are optional and not common. Real pesto is without.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> Pennyaline wrote:
>
>> Yes, but I read the page you cited for Sheldon's edification,
>> http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php.
>>
>> I can easily be wrong but as I see it the recipe calls for one cheese
>> or the other, not both, as long as the cheese used is correctly
>> classified per DOP.

> I quote from that page:
>> - II formaggio deve appartenere alle tipologie DOP "Parmigiano Reggiano" o
>> "Grana Padano" a alla tipologia Pecorino DOP

> 1) I don't never care of gran apadano as an option to parmigiano, so I
> reported only parmigiano for the first part.

Oh. Of course. I should have felt that via my powers of extrasensory
perception.

> 2) It contains a typo (original on the website) in the letter "a" after
> "grana padano". It should be an "e" which means "and". You can check this in
> the same webpage under he page "La ricetta ufficiale del pesto" (link on the
> same page you read), where it says
> "Formaggio grattugiato - 3 cucchiai di parmigiano e 3 di pecorino"
> which translates to "3 tablespoons parmigiano ANA 3 tablespoons pwecorino".
> Who's giving away all those recipes with only one type of cheese?

Ah, a typo. I see. Sadly, that there is no real proof that it is a typo.
You sent us to
http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php
and nowhere else. That is the page I went to and is the page other would
have gone to as well. It says what it says. The change, one of a few,
occurs on the second page you cited and seem like nothing more than
simple variations. Thus,
http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php
plainly says "DISCIPLINARE DI PRODUZIONE PER LA DENOMINAZIONE DI ORIGINE
PROTETTA (DOP)'PESTO GENOVESE'" and does not list walnuts as optional.
Instead, it includes them in a listing of ingredients necessary for the
production of DOP "Pesto Genovese."

IF you had meant the other page all along, you should have cited *it*
instead.

>> Also, if the recipe you posted is supposed to be DOP Pesto Genovese,
>> you failed. You left out the walnuts.

> No, you are failing to understand the word "optional" (facoltativo,
> opzionale).
> Walnuts are optional and not common. Real pesto is without.

Bullfinches! You said that the recipe and method at
http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php
is the ultimate authority on DOP Pesto Genovese, and then you tried to
change the page. FOUL! Your logic and actions were flawed, therefore
your argument is groundless.

Incidentally, I've only seen one recipe for pesto that included walnuts
as a mandatory ingredient, so I'm sorta kinda on your side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
Vilco wrote:
>> 2) It contains a typo (original on the website) in the letter "a"
>> after "grana padano". It should be an "e" which means "and". You can
>> check this in the same webpage under he page "La ricetta ufficiale del
>> pesto" (link on the same page you read), where it says
>> "Formaggio grattugiato - 3 cucchiai di parmigiano e 3 di pecorino"
>> which translates to "3 tablespoons parmigiano ANA 3 tablespoons
>> pwecorino".
>> Who's giving away all those recipes with only one type of cheese?

> Ah, a typo. I see. Sadly, that there is no real proof that it is a typo.
> You sent us to
> http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php
> and nowhere else. That is the page I went to and is the page other would
> have gone to as well. It says what it says. The change, one of a few,
> occurs on the second page you cited and seem like nothing more than
> simple variations. Thus,
> http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php
> plainly says "DISCIPLINARE DI PRODUZIONE PER LA DENOMINAZIONE DI ORIGINE
> PROTETTA (DOP)'PESTO GENOVESE'" and does not list walnuts as optional.
> Instead, it includes them in a listing of ingredients necessary for the
> production of DOP "Pesto Genovese."
>
> IF you had meant the other page all along, you should have cited *it*
> instead.

Whoa! Got ahead of myself there! Responding to the walnuts observation
while what we're talking about it the cheese. Sorry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
> Bullfinches! You said that the recipe and method at
> http://www.mangiareinliguria.it/cons...enovesedop.php
> is the ultimate authority on DOP Pesto Genovese, and then you tried to
> change the page. FOUL! Your logic and actions were flawed, therefore
> your argument is groundless.
>
> Incidentally, I've only seen one recipe for pesto that included walnuts
> as a mandatory ingredient, so I'm sorta kinda on your side.

I can't imagine why you care, because no matter how genuinely you tackle
the DOP recipe, you won't get Genovese pesto. The basil is different
there. Even with seeds from Genova you don't get exactly the same
thing. I doubted it, so a friend had her ex bring Genovese pesto,
Genovese basil and had me bring my basil grown from Genovese seeds. We
whipped up pesto from the two fresh basils and did a test of all three
pestos. She was right. It tastes different. It tastes great to me in
all versions, but only the two Genovese pestos tasted just exactly the same.

It would take more than that to make me go to Liguria, but fortunately
there are many wonderful reasons to go there.

Being practical, like most cooks in Umbria, if I have old pecorino I use
it, if I don't, I use all Parmigiano. It takes more than a missing
cheese to keep me from my pesto. I ate it last night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>> Incidentally, I've only seen one recipe for pesto that included
>> walnuts as a mandatory ingredient, so I'm sorta kinda on your side.

> I can't imagine why you care,

That's usenet, Giusi.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

>> 1) I don't never care of gran apadano as an option to parmigiano, so
>> I reported only parmigiano for the first part.

> Oh. Of course. I should have felt that via my powers of extrasensory
> perception.

You read it thanks to my link, isn't it? So, thank me.

> Ah, a typo. I see. Sadly, that there is no real proof that it is a
> typo.

Don't hold your breath on this one: show that sentence to someone who knows
italian.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> Pennyaline wrote:
>
>>> 1) I don't never care of gran apadano as an option to parmigiano, so
>>> I reported only parmigiano for the first part.

>> Oh. Of course. I should have felt that via my powers of extrasensory
>> perception.

> You read it thanks to my link, isn't it? So, thank me.

That you don't care for Gran Padano as an alternative to parmigiano
wasn't stated on the page you linked to, so there is nothing to thank
you for.

>> Ah, a typo. I see. Sadly, that there is no real proof that it is a
>> typo.

> Don't hold your breath on this one: show that sentence to someone who knows
> italian.

Sorry. You tried to defend your argument for the two cheeses approach by
suddenly finding a typo. But you were the champion of that article. You
found it, and you posted the link. With your knowledge of Italian, you
should have recognized the error on the first read.

Also, your originally-cited DOP method mandates walnuts. You seem to
think that is unimportant. Applying that logic to the whole, if one
ingredient in the DOP recipe can arbitrarily be treated as dispensible,
any other one can be treated arbitrarily as well and the recipe can
still be called the "official" one. So what difference does DOP make if
it is not a guarantee of fidelity to region and method?

Oops! Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] General Cooking 17 14-06-2016 10:05 PM
oops, did I go too far? KW[_3_] Preserving 9 28-12-2010 03:14 AM
oops Stormmee Asian Cooking 1 08-04-2010 03:31 AM
Oops! Michael Barbecue 17 04-06-2005 12:30 AM