Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Odd sized jars?

I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I have about 40 or 50 of these jars that I picked up on craigslist last
year.....they are all identical, they say ATLAS and MASON....and they hold 1
1/2 cups, and they look like new, definately not from 50's .....The person
who sold them to me said they contained some kind of spagetti sauce....but i
don't remember the name.....I like them....they are good size for salsa.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:12:50 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
>other canning books today and saw a reference to using
>1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
>or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
>which exist but aren't that easy to find?
>
>gloria p

They were produced by Ball but I don't know exactly when, but I
bought several boxes probably in the 1980's. I still have a dozen or
so and would love to find more.

They do hold 3 cups. They are the same height has a quart jar and
look like a tall wide mouth pint. I love them for pickled asparagus
and a good size for veggies for 2. However they do not leave the
house.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jul 17, 7:12*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
> other canning books today and saw a reference to using
> 1 1/2 pint jars. *(3 cups) *Has anyone ever seen these
> or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
> which exist but aren't that easy to find?
>
> gloria p

I have eight 3 cup jars made by Atlas. they are quart hight but are
somewhat narrower. they all come from Classico Spaghetti Sauce. My
daughter and I both prefer that brand. I use them and their lids as
drinking jars cause five of them contains enough water for my daily
ration. LOL

Classico also sells quarts at Sam's club or some such, and I've
recently seen half pints but neither of these has the proper canning
lid screw closure so they may be doing away with that and going to the
single use lids. I better go buy more I guess. LOL

FWIW, Kitty
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The ones I have from the fifties were coffee jars my mother in law
saved. they were nice jars, never had any trouble with them.

On Jul 17, 10:37*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

> I remember my mother and grandmother using them back in the 1950s and
> 1960s. *I don't know where they came from.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
> other canning books today and saw a reference to using
> 1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
> or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
> which exist but aren't that easy to find?
>
> gloria p

I did a quick google search, and these things are available. Seem
expensive, though.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:39:39 -0700, "Wallace"
> > wrote:
>

>>"gloria.p" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
>>> other canning books today and saw a reference to using
>>> 1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
>>> or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
>>> which exist but aren't that easy to find?
>>>
>>> gloria p

>>I did a quick google search, and these things are available. Seem
>>expensive, though.
>>

> How about some links. All I see are Classico tomato sauce jars.

you can't do a google search for "3 cup canning jar"?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:39:39 -0700, "Wallace"
> wrote:

>"gloria.p" > wrote in message
>>
>> I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
>> other canning books today and saw a reference to using
>> 1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
>> or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
>> which exist but aren't that easy to find?
>>
>> gloria p

>I did a quick google search, and these things are available. Seem
>expensive, though.

How about some links. All I see are Classico tomato sauce jars.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Wallace" > wrote:

> "The Cook" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:39:39 -0700, "Wallace"
> > > wrote:

> >>I did a quick google search, and these things are available. Seem
> >>expensive, though.
> >>

> > How about some links. All I see are Classico tomato sauce jars.

> you can't do a google search for "3 cup canning jar"?

I have some of the Leifheit 3-cup jars (you can see them on eBay) that I
bought at Zabar's in NYC. Can't bring myself to use them, though. Go
figure. What a dope.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:12:50 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> wrote:
>

> >I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
> >other canning books today and saw a reference to using
> >1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
> >or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
> >which exist but aren't that easy to find?
> >
> >gloria p

> They were produced by Ball but I don't know exactly when, but I
> bought several boxes probably in the 1980's. I still have a dozen or
> so and would love to find more.
>
> They do hold 3 cups. They are the same height has a quart jar and
> look like a tall wide mouth pint. I love them for pickled asparagus
> and a good size for veggies for 2. However they do not leave the
> house.

Do you still have the boxes, Susan? Were they billed as freezer jars?
I think those were about 3-cups, tapering to wider at the top than
bottom so that removing a frozen block of something was easier to do.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:16:49 -0700, "Wallace"
> > wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:39:39 -0700, "Wallace"

>>> How about some links. All I see are Classico tomato sauce jars.

>>you can't do a google search for "3 cup canning jar"?
>>

> I searched for 1-1/2 pint jars. The 3 cup jars do not look like what
> I would use for pressure canning.

They are too expensive anyway. It would be cheaper to buy a bunch of
Contadina product and throw it away for the jars. Or, have a big past feed
for the neighborhood.

Also:

I cannot tell if this uses regular caning lids:

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=G017

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:16:49 -0700, "Wallace"
> wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:39:39 -0700, "Wallace"
>> > wrote:

>>>I did a quick google search, and these things are available. Seem
>>>expensive, though.
>>>

>> How about some links. All I see are Classico tomato sauce jars.

>you can't do a google search for "3 cup canning jar"?

I searched for 1-1/2 pint jars. The 3 cup jars do not look like what
I would use for pressure canning.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
ljp ljp is offline

On Jul 17, 5:12 pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
> other canning books today and saw a reference to using
> 1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
> or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
> which exist but aren't that easy to find?
>
> gloria p

This size is common for spaghetti sauce. Save them. I know it is
heresy but they work well for jams, jars and lids.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/18/2010 11:45 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> The > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:12:50 -0600, >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
>>> other canning books today and saw a reference to using
>>> 1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
>>> or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
>>> which exist but aren't that easy to find?
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> They were produced by Ball but I don't know exactly when, but I
>> bought several boxes probably in the 1980's. I still have a dozen or
>> so and would love to find more.
>>
>> They do hold 3 cups. They are the same height has a quart jar and
>> look like a tall wide mouth pint. I love them for pickled asparagus
>> and a good size for veggies for 2. However they do not leave the
>> house.

> Do you still have the boxes, Susan? Were they billed as freezer jars?
> I think those were about 3-cups, tapering to wider at the top than
> bottom so that removing a frozen block of something was easier to do.

Oh yeah, I recognize that jar now, I have one of the freezer jars
someone gave me, I use it to store dry goods in as I don't make freezer jam.

The Classico sauce jars are 26 ounce jars IIRC.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

>I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
>other canning books today and saw a reference to using
>1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
>or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
>which exist but aren't that easy to find?
>
>gloria p

Someone is selling 5 of the 1 1/2 pints jars on Ebay. I would love to
have some, but not at those prices.

http://tinyurl.com/3yvafpd
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jul 18, 2:25*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 7/18/2010 11:45 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The Classico sauce jars are 26 ounce jars IIRC.

The classico jars say 26oz of product. However, try fitting 26 oz of
water in them and you'll quickly realize that it must be 26 oz by
WEIGHT, not by volume. Volume wise, they are 24 oz to the bottom of
the neck.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jul 18, 1:20*pm, ljp > wrote:

> This size is common for spaghetti sauce. *Save them. *I know it is
> heresy but they work well for jams, jars and lids.

Actually the Classico ATLAS jars are jgenuwine atlas jars and
perfectly good for any type of canning

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:45:51 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:12:50 -0600, "gloria.p" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
>> >other canning books today and saw a reference to using
>> >1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
>> >or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
>> >which exist but aren't that easy to find?
>> >
>> >gloria p

>> They were produced by Ball but I don't know exactly when, but I
>> bought several boxes probably in the 1980's. I still have a dozen or
>> so and would love to find more.
>>
>> They do hold 3 cups. They are the same height has a quart jar and
>> look like a tall wide mouth pint. I love them for pickled asparagus
>> and a good size for veggies for 2. However they do not leave the
>> house.

>Do you still have the boxes, Susan? Were they billed as freezer jars?
>I think those were about 3-cups, tapering to wider at the top than
>bottom so that removing a frozen block of something was easier to do.

The boxes disappeared years ago but about 1" from the top it says
"freezing -- fill to here." The bottom is the same as the wide mouth
pint and by the time you add the extra height it cannot taper very
much and have a wide mouth lid fit. All it says on the side of the
jar is "Wide Mouth."
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Wallace" > wrote:
> Also:
>
> I cannot tell if this uses regular caning lids:
>
> http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=G017

Standard mouth canning jars are 70mm.