Odd sized jars?

Old 18-07-2010, 12:12 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Odd sized jars?

I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p
Old 18-07-2010, 05:44 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

I have about 40 or 50 of these jars that I picked up on craigslist last
year.....they are all identical, they say ATLAS and MASON....and they hold 1
1/2 cups, and they look like new, definately not from 50's .....The person
who sold them to me said they contained some kind of spagetti sauce....but i
don't remember the name.....I like them....they are good size for salsa.
Old 18-07-2010, 01:16 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:12:50 -0600, "gloria.p"
wrote:

I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p

They were produced by Ball but I don't know exactly when, but I
bought several boxes probably in the 1980's. I still have a dozen or
so and would love to find more.

They do hold 3 cups. They are the same height has a quart jar and
look like a tall wide mouth pint. I love them for pickled asparagus
and a good size for veggies for 2. However they do not leave the
house.
--
Susan N.

Old 18-07-2010, 01:26 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jul 17, 7:12*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. *(3 cups) *Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p

I have eight 3 cup jars made by Atlas. they are quart hight but are
somewhat narrower. they all come from Classico Spaghetti Sauce. My
daughter and I both prefer that brand. I use them and their lids as
drinking jars cause five of them contains enough water for my daily
ration. LOL

Classico also sells quarts at Sam's club or some such, and I've
recently seen half pints but neither of these has the proper canning
lid screw closure so they may be doing away with that and going to the
single use lids. I better go buy more I guess. LOL

FWIW, Kitty
Old 18-07-2010, 01:28 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

The ones I have from the fifties were coffee jars my mother in law
saved. they were nice jars, never had any trouble with them.

On Jul 17, 10:37*pm, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

I remember my mother and grandmother using them back in the 1950s and
1960s. *I don't know where they came from.

Old 18-07-2010, 03:39 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" wrote in message

I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p

I did a quick google search, and these things are available. Seem
expensive, though.

Old 18-07-2010, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:39:39 -0700, "Wallace"
wrote:

"gloria.p" wrote in message

I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p

I did a quick google search, and these things are available. Seem
expensive, though.

How about some links. All I see are Classico tomato sauce jars.

you can't do a google search for "3 cup canning jar"?

Old 18-07-2010, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

"gloria.p" wrote in message

I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p

I did a quick google search, and these things are available. Seem
expensive, though.

How about some links. All I see are Classico tomato sauce jars.

you can't do a google search for "3 cup canning jar"?

I have some of the Leifheit 3-cup jars (you can see them on eBay) that I
bought at Zabar's in NYC. Can't bring myself to use them, though. Go
figure. What a dope.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Old 18-07-2010, 05:45 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p

They were produced by Ball but I don't know exactly when, but I
bought several boxes probably in the 1980's. I still have a dozen or
so and would love to find more.

They do hold 3 cups. They are the same height has a quart jar and
look like a tall wide mouth pint. I love them for pickled asparagus
and a good size for veggies for 2. However they do not leave the
house.

Do you still have the boxes, Susan? Were they billed as freezer jars?
I think those were about 3-cups, tapering to wider at the top than
bottom so that removing a frozen block of something was easier to do.

Old 18-07-2010, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:16:49 -0700, "Wallace"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"gloria.p" wrote in message

I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p

I did a quick google search, and these things are available. Seem
expensive, though.

How about some links. All I see are Classico tomato sauce jars.

you can't do a google search for "3 cup canning jar"?

I searched for 1-1/2 pint jars. The 3 cup jars do not look like what
I would use for pressure canning.

They are too expensive anyway. It would be cheaper to buy a bunch of
Contadina product and throw it away for the jars. Or, have a big past feed
for the neighborhood.

Also:

I cannot tell if this uses regular caning lids:

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item.asp?item=G017

Old 18-07-2010, 06:20 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
ljp

On Jul 17, 5:12 pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
I was reading through a couple of Ball Blue Books and some
other canning books today and saw a reference to using
1 1/2 pint jars. (3 cups) Has anyone ever seen these
or was it a typo? Did they mean 1 1/2 CUP (18 oz.)
which exist but aren't that easy to find?

gloria p

This size is common for spaghetti sauce. Save them. I know it is
heresy but they work well for jams, jars and lids.
Old 18-07-2010, 07:25 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/18/2010 11:45 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah, I recognize that jar now, I have one of the freezer jars
someone gave me, I use it to store dry goods in as I don't make freezer jam.

The Classico sauce jars are 26 ounce jars IIRC.