Dwayne

Default Chow Chow recipe

I want to make chow chow or piccalilli from my green tomatoes, but the
recipes I have both use sugar. Can I use Spenda in place of the sugar, or
does the pickling process require the real thing?

I got these recipes from a pickling book. Does anyone have a good recipe
that they have used for years and know it to be very good?

Thanks in advance. Dwayne

The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Dwayne"
> > wrote:
> > I want to make chow chow or piccalilli from my green tomatoes, but the
> > recipes I have both use sugar. Can I use Spenda in place of the sugar,
> > or
> > does the pickling process require the real thing?
> > I got these recipes from a pickling book. Does anyone have a good recipe
> > that they have used for years and know it to be very good?
> > Thanks in advance. Dwayne

> I believe you can. Edrena here uses a lot of Splenda, I think. Maybe
> she can give a good reply.
> -Barb

You betcha cupcake. Dwayne - from the books I've read, sugar, salt & spices
contribute to the keeping quality of pickled items but are not the main keeping
factor. Acidity is, as well as heating as in washing, BWB/lower heat
pastuerization. If I were you, I'd make a small batch replacing 3 or 4 parts
sugar with 1 Splenda, then upwards to taste. Splenda has been saying y'all can
replace it one for one, but I believe I get an unpleasant aftertaste. Oh
yeah-cut the salt by half, then add more if needed *after* you put in the
Splenda. Something about that balance of vinegar: sugar: salt is changed with
Splenda-at least that's my experience. I've made several different pickles with
Splenda and been very satisfied with the results following the balancing act:
bread & butters, pickled b**ts, mixed sweet pickle, relish, green beans, &
carrots. Let us know how it turns out!
Edrena

The Joneses

Chow Chow Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 21-11-2007 10:06 PM
Chow Chow -- a great way to use green tomatoes Carla Gilliss Preserving 11 30-08-2006 04:02 AM
Need Recipe for Green Glop Chow Mein Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 17 03-04-2006 04:27 PM
Goo's Pet Chow dh@. Vegan 0 24-02-2006 04:57 PM
Chow Chow; Small Batch caladezi Recipes (moderated) 0 18-11-2003 01:52 PM