Julie Bove

Default Bubbles in pears

The last batch of pears I canned doesn't quite look like the others. They
don't look quite as soft, as though they didn't cook for as long, although I
know I cooked them for the same amount of time. I let them sit for 24
hours, then checked the seals. The seals are fine. But I think noticed
some tiny bubbles in the liquid. The bubbles aren't really fizzy like soda
pop, but if you shake the jar, some bubbles will float up to the surface.
They've been sitting now for about 40 hours and the amount of bubbles in the
jars has lessened dramatically. You can't see the bubbles if the jars are
just sitting there, but if you shake the jar, a few tiny bubbles appear.
None of the previous batches have bubbles like this. Does this mean
something went wrong?

Thanks!

George Shirley

Julie Bove wrote:
> The last batch of pears I canned doesn't quite look like the others. They
> don't look quite as soft, as though they didn't cook for as long, although I
> know I cooked them for the same amount of time. I let them sit for 24
> hours, then checked the seals. The seals are fine. But I think noticed
> some tiny bubbles in the liquid. The bubbles aren't really fizzy like soda
> pop, but if you shake the jar, some bubbles will float up to the surface.
> They've been sitting now for about 40 hours and the amount of bubbles in the
> jars has lessened dramatically. You can't see the bubbles if the jars are
> just sitting there, but if you shake the jar, a few tiny bubbles appear.
> None of the previous batches have bubbles like this. Does this mean
> something went wrong?
>
> Thanks!

Did you use a non-metallic rod to ensure the bubbles were released
before you put the lids on? That's the usual instructions for this sort
of thing although I never do it. Your pears are okay if the jars are
sealed. I wouldn't worry about them.

George

George Shirley

Julie Bove wrote:
> The last batch of pears I canned doesn't quite look like the others. They
> don't look quite as soft, as though they didn't cook for as long, although I
> know I cooked them for the same amount of time. I let them sit for 24
> hours, then checked the seals. The seals are fine. But I think noticed
> some tiny bubbles in the liquid. The bubbles aren't really fizzy like soda
> pop, but if you shake the jar, some bubbles will float up to the surface.
> They've been sitting now for about 40 hours and the amount of bubbles in the
> jars has lessened dramatically. You can't see the bubbles if the jars are
> just sitting there, but if you shake the jar, a few tiny bubbles appear.
> None of the previous batches have bubbles like this. Does this mean
> something went wrong?
>
> Thanks!

Did you use a non-metallic rod to ensure the bubbles were released
before you put the lids on? That's the usual instructions for this sort
of thing although I never do it. Your pears are okay if the jars are
sealed. I wouldn't worry about them.

George

Brian Mailman

Julie Bove wrote:

> You can't see the bubbles if the jars are
> just sitting there, but if you shake the jar, a few tiny bubbles appear.

Don't shake the jar, then.

B/
Julie Bove

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

> Did you use a non-metallic rod to ensure the bubbles were released
> before you put the lids on? That's the usual instructions for this sort
> of thing although I never do it. Your pears are okay if the jars are
> sealed. I wouldn't worry about them.

I used a brand new rubber scraper, a small one. Now only one of the jars
still has a few bubbles. Whatever the problem, it seems to be resolving
itself. Thanks!

Julie Bove

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

> Did you use a non-metallic rod to ensure the bubbles were released
> before you put the lids on? That's the usual instructions for this sort
> of thing although I never do it. Your pears are okay if the jars are
> sealed. I wouldn't worry about them.

I used a brand new rubber scraper, a small one. Now only one of the jars
still has a few bubbles. Whatever the problem, it seems to be resolving
itself. Thanks!

Julie Bove

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > You can't see the bubbles if the jars are
> > just sitting there, but if you shake the jar, a few tiny bubbles appear.

> Don't shake the jar, then.

I shall try to restrain myself.

Bubbles in Jam Joyce Preserving 11 04-09-2012 01:45 AM
Air bubbles justme(Karen) Preserving 2 18-09-2005 06:38 PM
Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 37 29-04-2005 07:45 PM
Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 22-04-2005 06:25 PM
Where's the bubbles? Vincent Winemaking 5 21-10-2003 03:16 AM