Joyce

Default Bubbles in Jam

Hello,

I made some peach jam today and as I was cleaning up the lids and jars, I
noticed one jar had two bubbles on the bottom. They measure about 1/4 inch.
I stirred each jar after pouring with the wand but somehow, for some reason
I ended up with two good sized bubbles in that one jar.

Is this any cause for alarm?

Thanking you in advance and hoping you all have a healthy and productive
week.

Joyce

Casey Wilson

"Joyce" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I made some peach jam today and as I was cleaning up the lids and jars, I
> noticed one jar had two bubbles on the bottom. They measure about 1/4

inch.
> I stirred each jar after pouring with the wand but somehow, for some

reason
> I ended up with two good sized bubbles in that one jar.
>
> Is this any cause for alarm?

Hi Joyce,

Nope. If the lids sealed properly when they cooled down, the
bubbles are of no consequence. The gasses in them are no different than that
in the head space. You might have even stirred them in. I quit using a stick
(wand) in jams years ago. If you are extra nervous about it, put that jar in
the 'frige and use it first.

Casey

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Joyce"
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I made some peach jam today and as I was cleaning up the lids and
> jars, I noticed one jar had two bubbles on the bottom. They measure
> about 1/4 inch. I stirred each jar after pouring with the wand but
> somehow, for some reason I ended up with two good sized bubbles in
> that one jar.
>
> Is this any cause for alarm?

Nah. You're fine.

> Thanking you in advance and hoping you all have a healthy and
> productive week.
> Joyce

Thanks. I gotta get crackin' on my pickles and corn relish. And I'm
trying hard to resist another case of peaches - this time the Colorados.
Overall, I wasn't all that impressed with the Georgia peaches I bought.
The smaller Colorados have never disappointed me.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Brian Mailman

Casey Wilson wrote:

> I quit using a stick (wand) in jams years ago.

I have a butter knife I run around the inside edge of the jar.

B/
Blanche Nonken

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> And I'm trying hard to resist another case of peaches

Maybe you should see a doctor?

(It must be the stress - why do I see straight lines everywhere?)

Joyce

heheheh, I'm ashamed to say Barb, that I only made three batches of the
peach jam and you are thinking of another case! I feel very lazy and
unproductive around this group but it is my very favorite group. I'll try
to do better.

Pennyaline

"Joyce" wrote:
> heheheh, I'm ashamed to say Barb, that I only made three batches of the
> peach jam and you are thinking of another case! I feel very lazy and
> unproductive around this group but it is my very favorite group. I'll try
> to do better.

Aw don't worry. Three batches of peach jam is plenty of work.

I have pounds of peach jam left from last summer, so this year I did 5 pints
of pickled peaches. Froze what was left.

Pennyaline

"Joyce" wrote:
> heheheh, I'm ashamed to say Barb, that I only made three batches of the
> peach jam and you are thinking of another case! I feel very lazy and
> unproductive around this group but it is my very favorite group. I'll try
> to do better.

Aw don't worry. Three batches of peach jam is plenty of work.

I have pounds of peach jam left from last summer, so this year I did 5 pints
of pickled peaches. Froze what was left.

Pennyaline

"Joyce" wrote:
> heheheh, I'm ashamed to say Barb, that I only made three batches of the
> peach jam and you are thinking of another case! I feel very lazy and
> unproductive around this group but it is my very favorite group. I'll try
> to do better.

Aw don't worry. Three batches of peach jam is plenty of work.

I have pounds of peach jam left from last summer, so this year I did 5 pints
of pickled peaches. Froze what was left.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyaline View Post
"Joyce" wrote:
heheheh, I'm ashamed to say Barb, that I only made three batches of the
peach jam and you are thinking of another case! I feel very lazy and
unproductive around this group but it is my very favorite group. I'll try
to do better.

Aw don't worry. Three batches of peach jam is plenty of work.

I have pounds of peach jam left from last summer, so this year I did 5 pints
of pickled peaches. Froze what was left.

I have a tiny bubble at the very bottom of my peach jam in two of the jars. Will this disqualify me if I enter in at one of the country fairs?
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWheeler View Post
I have a tiny bubble at the very bottom of my peach jam in two of the jars. Will this disqualify me if I enter in at one of the country fairs?
Can someone please reply this message?

Air bubbles justme(Karen) Preserving 2 18-09-2005 06:38 PM
Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 37 29-04-2005 07:45 PM
Crust Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 29-04-2005 02:52 PM
Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 22-04-2005 06:25 PM
Where's the bubbles? Vincent Winemaking 5 21-10-2003 03:16 AM