Vincent

Default Where's the bubbles?

This is our second year of red wine-making. Last year after primary
fermentation was complete (@0 Brix), the wine was put into carboys and
there was very aggressive CO2 bubbling coming through the air locks
for some weeks. This year we did everything pretty much the same
except this year almost no action at all in the air locks from day one
onward. SO2, TA and pH all look good and the wine tastes fine at this
stage.

Why the difference? What would cause little or no CO2 activity?
Irene

Last year you probably had a lot of dissolved CO2 left, as did many
winemakers in Canada in 2002. This year it all came out during the
primary fermentation.

The real rule is to stir the heck out of the wine before you add the
fining ingredients. Some years it will take 5 minutes and some years
it will take 30 minutes. Blame this one on the weather.

Irene
(Vincent) wrote in message . com>...
> This is our second year of red wine-making. Last year after primary
> fermentation was complete (@0 Brix), the wine was put into carboys and
> there was very aggressive CO2 bubbling coming through the air locks
> for some weeks. This year we did everything pretty much the same
> except this year almost no action at all in the air locks from day one
> onward. SO2, TA and pH all look good and the wine tastes fine at this
> stage.
>
> Why the difference? What would cause little or no CO2 activity?

J Dixon

Irene,
You lost me on this one. How can the CO2 come out during primary
fermentation when the yeast are constantly offgassing CO2? And what is the
weather connection you are alluding to? Thanks
John Dixon
"Irene" > wrote in message
om...
> Last year you probably had a lot of dissolved CO2 left, as did many
> winemakers in Canada in 2002. This year it all came out during the
> primary fermentation.
>
> The real rule is to stir the heck out of the wine before you add the
> fining ingredients. Some years it will take 5 minutes and some years
> it will take 30 minutes. Blame this one on the weather.
>
> Irene
> (Vincent) wrote in message

. com>...
> > This is our second year of red wine-making. Last year after primary
> > fermentation was complete (@0 Brix), the wine was put into carboys and
> > there was very aggressive CO2 bubbling coming through the air locks
> > for some weeks. This year we did everything pretty much the same
> > except this year almost no action at all in the air locks from day one
> > onward. SO2, TA and pH all look good and the wine tastes fine at this
> > stage.
> >
> > Why the difference? What would cause little or no CO2 activity?

Joe Sallustio

Maybe you should try a clinitest to measure residual sugar too; it
could be all fermented out this year (I use < 0.2% as a rule). If
your wine is pretty cold the CO2 tends to stay in saturation too. As
it warms the CO2 can be expelled by stirring.
0 brix is not necessarily dry, it may have had some residual sugar
fermenting out last year.
Regards,
Joe

(Vincent) wrote in message . com>...
> This is our second year of red wine-making. Last year after primary
> fermentation was complete (@0 Brix), the wine was put into carboys and
> there was very aggressive CO2 bubbling coming through the air locks
> for some weeks. This year we did everything pretty much the same
> except this year almost no action at all in the air locks from day one
> onward. SO2, TA and pH all look good and the wine tastes fine at this
> stage.
>
> Why the difference? What would cause little or no CO2 activity?

Irene

Let's see this step by step:

The yeasts are always excreting the CO2. It dissolves in the must.

The must/wine does not always release CO2 from solution (as your
bubbles). In cold weather, it stays in solution. Under high
barometric pressure, ditto.

Last spring I had a very hard time degassing, even with two rackings.
The wine never got above 21C. The customers who were brewing with
heat at 25C had no trouble at all. This May it was fine at 25C: in
fact, I had no trouble in getting a perfectly clear, CO2 free batch.

Final step: The CO2, if left in solution, acts as an elevator for the
tiny particles. Hence you get it out of there to help the good
sedimentation of clarifying agents like kieselsol or isinglass.

Irene

Bubbles in Jam Joyce Preserving 11 04-09-2012 01:45 AM
Air bubbles justme(Karen) Preserving 2 18-09-2005 06:38 PM
Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 37 29-04-2005 07:45 PM
Crust Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 29-04-2005 02:52 PM
Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 22-04-2005 06:25 PM