Bunny McElwee

Default Pear Jelly?

Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of pears from a
friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters (although I will take the
pulp and extract the juice for the jelly and turn the pulp into butter). It
seems as though I am having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe.
Anyone have any suggestions?

--
Bunny McElwee
President, Lowcountry Miata Club

1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
"BlueFlash"

zxcvbob

Bunny McElwee wrote:
> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of pears from a
> friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters (although I will take the
> pulp and extract the juice for the jelly and turn the pulp into butter). It
> seems as though I am having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe.
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Use an apple jelly recipe. I'm not sure if pears have as much natural
pectin as apples, so you might want to reduce the juice a little.

(you could also just leave out the cinnamon)

When I was looking for a jelly recipe last year, George told me the
recipe I wanted was right there in the Certo box. Have you looked at
the pamphlet in a box of pectin? While yur reading this, I'll go look
for a box of pectin...

Bob
zxcvbob

Bunny McElwee wrote:
> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of pears from a
> friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters (although I will take the
> pulp and extract the juice for the jelly and turn the pulp into butter). It
> seems as though I am having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe.
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Use an apple jelly recipe. I'm not sure if pears have as much natural
pectin as apples, so you might want to reduce the juice a little.

(you could also just leave out the cinnamon)

When I was looking for a jelly recipe last year, George told me the
recipe I wanted was right there in the Certo box. Have you looked at
the pamphlet in a box of pectin? While yur reading this, I'll go look
for a box of pectin...

Bob
pennyaline

"Bunny McElwee" asks:
> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of pears from

> friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters (although I will take the
> pulp and extract the juice for the jelly and turn the pulp into butter).

It
> seems as though I am having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe.
> Anyone have any suggestions?

How about these:

http://tinyurl.com/45xha

http://tinyurl.com/4fygw

http://tinyurl.com/57jy4

Deb

"Bunny McElwee" > wrote in message
> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of pears from

> friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters (although I will take the
> pulp and extract the juice for the jelly and turn the pulp into butter).

It
> seems as though I am having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe.
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>

> --

I think when I made it a few years back, I just used the recipe for peaches
to get the juice quantity.

As I recall, it tasted so much like honey, I didn't bother making it again.
;>

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET.

Deb

"Bunny McElwee" > wrote in message
> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of pears from

> friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters (although I will take the
> pulp and extract the juice for the jelly and turn the pulp into butter).

It
> seems as though I am having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe.
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>

> --

I think when I made it a few years back, I just used the recipe for peaches
to get the juice quantity.

As I recall, it tasted so much like honey, I didn't bother making it again.
;>

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET.

zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote:

> Bunny McElwee wrote:
>
>> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
>> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of
>> pears from a friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters
>> (although I will take the pulp and extract the juice for the jelly
>> and turn the pulp into butter). It seems as though I am having a
>> hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe. Anyone have any
>> suggestions?
>>

> Use an apple jelly recipe. I'm not sure if pears have as much
> natural pectin as apples, so you might want to reduce the juice a
> little.
>
> (you could also just leave out the cinnamon)
>
> When I was looking for a jelly recipe last year, George told me the
> recipe I wanted was right there in the Certo box. Have you looked at
> the pamphlet in a box of pectin? While yur reading this, I'll go
> look for a box of pectin...
>
> Bob

I looked at several different boxes of pectin, and none of them have
pear jelly recipes. All the recipes I find on the 'Net are adulterated
with something. Maybe pears are just too subtle for making jelly that
tastes like anything? I did find this little gem:

> "Jelling is a three-way reaction, among the sugars, pectin, and acid.
> Most fruit has some acid, and there is some in the commercial pectin
> as well. If the juice is not at all tart, you might add some lemon
> juice. But the fruit has to have some acid. For instance, if you're
> starting from pear juice, then you oughta just forget the whole thing
> and drink the juice. No cookbook has ever even mentioned pear jelly,
> because nobody has ever made pear jelly ... so of course I tried it.
> Well, guess what? I cooked and cooked and cooked, and nothing ever
> happened, until shazam! suddenly I had made pear rubber."
>
> "Addendum, Tuesday 1997: I have recently been informed that somebody
> has made pear jelly, and also at the bottom of this page I have added
> a reference to an article that has a recipe for it. Actually it's
> pear and lemon juice jelly. Whatever -- maybe some day I'll try it
> again."

> http://www7.taosnet.com/ebear/jelly.html

I made some jelly last year using hard, tiny, slightly underripe pears
from a wild pear tree that grew next to my parents' garage. I mixed a
can of cranberry sauce with the pears to add some color and flavor, and
a little lemon juice. It turned out pretty good, but I think it woulda
been better without the pears...

:-)

Bob

zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote:

> Bunny McElwee wrote:
>
>> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
>> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of
>> pears from a friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters
>> (although I will take the pulp and extract the juice for the jelly
>> and turn the pulp into butter). It seems as though I am having a
>> hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe. Anyone have any
>> suggestions?
>>

> Use an apple jelly recipe. I'm not sure if pears have as much
> natural pectin as apples, so you might want to reduce the juice a
> little.
>
> (you could also just leave out the cinnamon)
>
> When I was looking for a jelly recipe last year, George told me the
> recipe I wanted was right there in the Certo box. Have you looked at
> the pamphlet in a box of pectin? While yur reading this, I'll go
> look for a box of pectin...
>
> Bob

I looked at several different boxes of pectin, and none of them have
pear jelly recipes. All the recipes I find on the 'Net are adulterated
with something. Maybe pears are just too subtle for making jelly that
tastes like anything? I did find this little gem:

> "Jelling is a three-way reaction, among the sugars, pectin, and acid.
> Most fruit has some acid, and there is some in the commercial pectin
> as well. If the juice is not at all tart, you might add some lemon
> juice. But the fruit has to have some acid. For instance, if you're
> starting from pear juice, then you oughta just forget the whole thing
> and drink the juice. No cookbook has ever even mentioned pear jelly,
> because nobody has ever made pear jelly ... so of course I tried it.
> Well, guess what? I cooked and cooked and cooked, and nothing ever
> happened, until shazam! suddenly I had made pear rubber."
>
> "Addendum, Tuesday 1997: I have recently been informed that somebody
> has made pear jelly, and also at the bottom of this page I have added
> a reference to an article that has a recipe for it. Actually it's
> pear and lemon juice jelly. Whatever -- maybe some day I'll try it
> again."

> http://www7.taosnet.com/ebear/jelly.html

I made some jelly last year using hard, tiny, slightly underripe pears
from a wild pear tree that grew next to my parents' garage. I mixed a
can of cranberry sauce with the pears to add some color and flavor, and
a little lemon juice. It turned out pretty good, but I think it woulda
been better without the pears...

:-)

Bob

zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote:

> Bunny McElwee wrote:
>
>> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
>> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of
>> pears from a friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters
>> (although I will take the pulp and extract the juice for the jelly
>> and turn the pulp into butter). It seems as though I am having a
>> hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe. Anyone have any
>> suggestions?
>>

> Use an apple jelly recipe. I'm not sure if pears have as much
> natural pectin as apples, so you might want to reduce the juice a
> little.
>
> (you could also just leave out the cinnamon)
>
> When I was looking for a jelly recipe last year, George told me the
> recipe I wanted was right there in the Certo box. Have you looked at
> the pamphlet in a box of pectin? While yur reading this, I'll go
> look for a box of pectin...
>
> Bob

I looked at several different boxes of pectin, and none of them have
pear jelly recipes. All the recipes I find on the 'Net are adulterated
with something. Maybe pears are just too subtle for making jelly that
tastes like anything? I did find this little gem:

> "Jelling is a three-way reaction, among the sugars, pectin, and acid.
> Most fruit has some acid, and there is some in the commercial pectin
> as well. If the juice is not at all tart, you might add some lemon
> juice. But the fruit has to have some acid. For instance, if you're
> starting from pear juice, then you oughta just forget the whole thing
> and drink the juice. No cookbook has ever even mentioned pear jelly,
> because nobody has ever made pear jelly ... so of course I tried it.
> Well, guess what? I cooked and cooked and cooked, and nothing ever
> happened, until shazam! suddenly I had made pear rubber."
>
> "Addendum, Tuesday 1997: I have recently been informed that somebody
> has made pear jelly, and also at the bottom of this page I have added
> a reference to an article that has a recipe for it. Actually it's
> pear and lemon juice jelly. Whatever -- maybe some day I'll try it
> again."

> http://www7.taosnet.com/ebear/jelly.html

I made some jelly last year using hard, tiny, slightly underripe pears
from a wild pear tree that grew next to my parents' garage. I mixed a
can of cranberry sauce with the pears to add some color and flavor, and
a little lemon juice. It turned out pretty good, but I think it woulda
been better without the pears...

:-)

Bob

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Bunny McElwee wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
>>> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of
>>> pears from a friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters
>>> (although I will take the pulp and extract the juice for the jelly
>>> and turn the pulp into butter). It seems as though I am having a
>>> hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe. Anyone have any
>>> suggestions?
>>>

>> Use an apple jelly recipe. I'm not sure if pears have as much
>> natural pectin as apples, so you might want to reduce the juice a
>> little.
>>
>> (you could also just leave out the cinnamon)
>>
>> When I was looking for a jelly recipe last year, George told me the
>> recipe I wanted was right there in the Certo box. Have you looked at
>> the pamphlet in a box of pectin? While yur reading this, I'll go
>> look for a box of pectin...
>>
>> Bob

> I looked at several different boxes of pectin, and none of them have
> pear jelly recipes. All the recipes I find on the 'Net are adulterated
> with something. Maybe pears are just too subtle for making jelly that
> tastes like anything? I did find this little gem:
>
>> "Jelling is a three-way reaction, among the sugars, pectin, and acid.
>> Most fruit has some acid, and there is some in the commercial pectin
>> as well. If the juice is not at all tart, you might add some lemon
>> juice. But the fruit has to have some acid. For instance, if you're
>> starting from pear juice, then you oughta just forget the whole thing
>> and drink the juice. No cookbook has ever even mentioned pear jelly,
>> because nobody has ever made pear jelly ... so of course I tried it.
>> Well, guess what? I cooked and cooked and cooked, and nothing ever
>> happened, until shazam! suddenly I had made pear rubber."
>>
>> "Addendum, Tuesday 1997: I have recently been informed that somebody
>> has made pear jelly, and also at the bottom of this page I have added
>> a reference to an article that has a recipe for it. Actually it's
>> pear and lemon juice jelly. Whatever -- maybe some day I'll try it
>> again."

> > http://www7.taosnet.com/ebear/jelly.html

> I made some jelly last year using hard, tiny, slightly underripe pears
> from a wild pear tree that grew next to my parents' garage. I mixed a
> can of cranberry sauce with the pears to add some color and flavor, and
> a little lemon juice. It turned out pretty good, but I think it woulda
> been better without the pears...
>
> :-)
>
> Bob

I've been putting up pears in various forms for more than 40 years and
have never been able to get the juice to clarify. I guess a cloudy jelly
would be okay. Correction: Made some pear wine once, took about four
years for the sediment to go to the bottom of the gallon jugs (did I
mention my wife really likes wine?) and then the wine was very good.

I currently make pear jam, pear butter, pear sauce, pear honey, sliced
pears in a light syrup (they make excellent pies and cobblers), and I
even mushed up a bunch, mixed with spices, cooked them down a good bit,
and then froze in pint containers so the grands and great grands could
have "snacks" when they come to visit. So far the wife has eaten most of it.

George

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> [...]

> been better without the pears...
>
> :-)
>
> Bob

I've been putting up pears in various forms for more than 40 years and
have never been able to get the juice to clarify. I guess a cloudy jelly
would be okay. Correction: Made some pear wine once, took about four
years for the sediment to go to the bottom of the gallon jugs (did I
mention my wife really likes wine?) and then the wine was very good.

I currently make pear jam, pear butter, pear sauce, pear honey, sliced
pears in a light syrup (they make excellent pies and cobblers), and I
even mushed up a bunch, mixed with spices, cooked them down a good bit,
and then froze in pint containers so the grands and great grands could
have "snacks" when they come to visit. So far the wife has eaten most of it.

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> [...]

> been better without the pears...
>
> :-)
>
> Bob

I've been putting up pears in various forms for more than 40 years and
have never been able to get the juice to clarify. I guess a cloudy jelly
would be okay. Correction: Made some pear wine once, took about four
years for the sediment to go to the bottom of the gallon jugs (did I
mention my wife really likes wine?) and then the wine was very good.

I currently make pear jam, pear butter, pear sauce, pear honey, sliced
pears in a light syrup (they make excellent pies and cobblers), and I
even mushed up a bunch, mixed with spices, cooked them down a good bit,
and then froze in pint containers so the grands and great grands could
have "snacks" when they come to visit. So far the wife has eaten most of it.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bunny McElwee"
> wrote:

> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't
> include Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a
> bunch of pears from a friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and
> butters (although I will take the pulp and extract the juice for
> the jelly and turn the pulp into butter). It seems as though I am
> having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe. Anyone have
> any suggestions?

The thought of Pear Jelly makes my teeth hurt, Bunny. Sweet on sweet.
How about Pear Honey? Puree cooked pears and add an equal amount of
sugar by volume. Cook until thickened like honey. (It will thicken
more on cooling.) Process half pint jars for 10 minutes in a BWB.

If you're hell-bent on jelly, try the low- or no-sugar pectins -- maybe
Pomona's Universal Pectin.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/30/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bunny McElwee"
> wrote:

> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't
> include Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a
> bunch of pears from a friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and
> butters (although I will take the pulp and extract the juice for
> the jelly and turn the pulp into butter). It seems as though I am
> having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe. Anyone have
> any suggestions?

The thought of Pear Jelly makes my teeth hurt, Bunny. Sweet on sweet.
How about Pear Honey? Puree cooked pears and add an equal amount of
sugar by volume. Cook until thickened like honey. (It will thicken
more on cooling.) Process half pint jars for 10 minutes in a BWB.

If you're hell-bent on jelly, try the low- or no-sugar pectins -- maybe
Pomona's Universal Pectin.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/30/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Bunny McElwee"
> > wrote:
>

>> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't
>> include Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a
>> bunch of pears from a friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and
>> butters (although I will take the pulp and extract the juice for
>> the jelly and turn the pulp into butter). It seems as though I am
>> having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe. Anyone have
>> any suggestions?

> The thought of Pear Jelly makes my teeth hurt, Bunny. Sweet on sweet.
> How about Pear Honey? Puree cooked pears and add an equal amount of
> sugar by volume. Cook until thickened like honey. (It will thicken
> more on cooling.) Process half pint jars for 10 minutes in a BWB.
>
> If you're hell-bent on jelly, try the low- or no-sugar pectins -- maybe
> Pomona's Universal Pectin.

But don't use no-sugar pectin -- even if you add the sugar anyway -- and
expect to get clear jelly. Actually, you should never use no-sugar
pectin to make jelly. Use it to make jam or something.

That's been my experience anyway. I tried the no-sugar pectin (on the
first batch of that wild pear-cranberry jelly that I made without a
recipe) so it would set even if I didn't get the sugar right. It didn't
clear much when I added the sugar. The second batch made with normal
pectin cleared nicely.

Bob

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Bunny McElwee"
> > wrote:
>

>> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't
>> include Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a
>> bunch of pears from a friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and
>> butters (although I will take the pulp and extract the juice for
>> the jelly and turn the pulp into butter). It seems as though I am
>> having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe. Anyone have
>> any suggestions?

> The thought of Pear Jelly makes my teeth hurt, Bunny. Sweet on sweet.
> How about Pear Honey? Puree cooked pears and add an equal amount of
> sugar by volume. Cook until thickened like honey. (It will thicken
> more on cooling.) Process half pint jars for 10 minutes in a BWB.
>
> If you're hell-bent on jelly, try the low- or no-sugar pectins -- maybe
> Pomona's Universal Pectin.

But don't use no-sugar pectin -- even if you add the sugar anyway -- and
expect to get clear jelly. Actually, you should never use no-sugar
pectin to make jelly. Use it to make jam or something.

That's been my experience anyway. I tried the no-sugar pectin (on the
first batch of that wild pear-cranberry jelly that I made without a
recipe) so it would set even if I didn't get the sugar right. It didn't
clear much when I added the sugar. The second batch made with normal
pectin cleared nicely.

Bob
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Bunny McElwee"
> > wrote:
>

>> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't
>> include Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a
>> bunch of pears from a friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and
>> butters (although I will take the pulp and extract the juice for
>> the jelly and turn the pulp into butter). It seems as though I am
>> having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe. Anyone have
>> any suggestions?

> The thought of Pear Jelly makes my teeth hurt, Bunny. Sweet on sweet.
> How about Pear Honey? Puree cooked pears and add an equal amount of
> sugar by volume. Cook until thickened like honey. (It will thicken
> more on cooling.) Process half pint jars for 10 minutes in a BWB.
>
> If you're hell-bent on jelly, try the low- or no-sugar pectins -- maybe
> Pomona's Universal Pectin.

But don't use no-sugar pectin -- even if you add the sugar anyway -- and
expect to get clear jelly. Actually, you should never use no-sugar
pectin to make jelly. Use it to make jam or something.

That's been my experience anyway. I tried the no-sugar pectin (on the
first batch of that wild pear-cranberry jelly that I made without a
recipe) so it would set even if I didn't get the sugar right. It didn't
clear much when I added the sugar. The second batch made with normal
pectin cleared nicely.

Bob
Brian Mailman

Deb wrote:

> "Bunny McElwee" > wrote in message
>> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
>> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of pears from

>> friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters (although I will take the
>> pulp and extract the juice for the jelly and turn the pulp into butter).

> It
>> seems as though I am having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe.
>> Anyone have any suggestions?
>>

>> --

> I think when I made it a few years back, I just used the recipe for peaches
> to get the juice quantity.
>
> As I recall, it tasted so much like honey, I didn't bother making it again.

Oddly enough my Chardonnay jellies taste so much like pear I don't make
pear any more....

B/
Brian Mailman

Deb wrote:

> "Bunny McElwee" > wrote in message
>> Are there any recipes out there for Pear Jelly that doesn't include
>> Cinnamon, or isn't made of Prickly Pears? I received a bunch of pears from

>> friend and I prefer Jelly over Jams and butters (although I will take the
>> pulp and extract the juice for the jelly and turn the pulp into butter).

> It
>> seems as though I am having a hard time finding a plain Pear Jelly recipe.
>> Anyone have any suggestions?
>>

>> --

> I think when I made it a few years back, I just used the recipe for peaches
> to get the juice quantity.
>
> As I recall, it tasted so much like honey, I didn't bother making it again.

Oddly enough my Chardonnay jellies taste so much like pear I don't make
pear any more....

B/
Bunny McElwee

Would you be willing to post/send the recipes you used for Pear Jam,
Pear Butter and Pear Honey? Since it seems the consensus is to not make Pear
Jelly, I will gladly go another route to preserve these pears. Thanks in
advance and thanks to everyone who answered!

> I've been putting up pears in various forms for more than 40 years and
> have never been able to get the juice to clarify. I guess a cloudy jelly
> would be okay. Correction: Made some pear wine once, took about four
> years for the sediment to go to the bottom of the gallon jugs (did I
> mention my wife really likes wine?) and then the wine was very good.
>
> I currently make pear jam, pear butter, pear sauce, pear honey, sliced
> pears in a light syrup (they make excellent pies and cobblers), and I
> even mushed up a bunch, mixed with spices, cooked them down a good bit,
> and then froze in pint containers so the grands and great grands could
> have "snacks" when they come to visit. So far the wife has eaten most of

it.

> George

The Joneses

Bunny McElwee wrote:

> Would you be willing to post/send the recipes you used for Pear Jam,
> Pear Butter and Pear Honey? Since it seems the consensus is to not make Pear
> Jelly, I will gladly go another route to preserve these pears. Thanks in
> advance and thanks to everyone who answered!
>

> > I've been putting up pears in various forms for more than 40 years and
> > have never been able to get the juice to clarify. I guess a cloudy jelly
> > would be okay. Correction: Made some pear wine once, took about four
> > years for the sediment to go to the bottom of the gallon jugs (did I
> > mention my wife really likes wine?) and then the wine was very good.
> >
> > I currently make pear jam, pear butter, pear sauce, pear honey, sliced
> > pears in a light syrup (they make excellent pies and cobblers), and I
> > even mushed up a bunch, mixed with spices, cooked them down a good bit,
> > and then froze in pint containers so the grands and great grands could
> > have "snacks" when they come to visit. So far the wife has eaten most of

> it.
> > George

I find pear jam way too sweet & mild for me although my hairdresser loves it. I
made brandied pears this year from the Ball Blue Book. I used the rest of the
apricot brandy from Apricot Squared jam (apricot jam with apricot brandy). The
brandied pears limp down as they get cooked a bit. Next time I'll use pears that
are *not* dead ripe. Or better yet find some of them teeny pears and do'em up
whole.
Edrena

The Joneses

Bunny McElwee wrote:

> Would you be willing to post/send the recipes you used for Pear Jam,
> Pear Butter and Pear Honey? Since it seems the consensus is to not make Pear
> Jelly, I will gladly go another route to preserve these pears. Thanks in
> advance and thanks to everyone who answered!
>

> > I've been putting up pears in various forms for more than 40 years and
> > have never been able to get the juice to clarify. I guess a cloudy jelly
> > would be okay. Correction: Made some pear wine once, took about four
> > years for the sediment to go to the bottom of the gallon jugs (did I
> > mention my wife really likes wine?) and then the wine was very good.
> >
> > I currently make pear jam, pear butter, pear sauce, pear honey, sliced
> > pears in a light syrup (they make excellent pies and cobblers), and I
> > even mushed up a bunch, mixed with spices, cooked them down a good bit,
> > and then froze in pint containers so the grands and great grands could
> > have "snacks" when they come to visit. So far the wife has eaten most of

> it.
> > George

I find pear jam way too sweet & mild for me although my hairdresser loves it. I
made brandied pears this year from the Ball Blue Book. I used the rest of the
apricot brandy from Apricot Squared jam (apricot jam with apricot brandy). The
brandied pears limp down as they get cooked a bit. Next time I'll use pears that
are *not* dead ripe. Or better yet find some of them teeny pears and do'em up
whole.
Edrena

Brian Mailman

Bunny McElwee wrote:

> Would you be willing to post/send the recipes you used for Pear Jam,
> Pear Butter and Pear Honey? Since it seems the consensus is to not make Pear
> Jelly, I will gladly go another route to preserve these pears.

You can dry them as well. Or pear sauce, bolstered with some almond
extract or Amaretto to use as applesauce would be.

B/
Brian Mailman

Bunny McElwee wrote:

> Would you be willing to post/send the recipes you used for Pear Jam,
> Pear Butter and Pear Honey? Since it seems the consensus is to not make Pear
> Jelly, I will gladly go another route to preserve these pears.

You can dry them as well. Or pear sauce, bolstered with some almond
extract or Amaretto to use as applesauce would be.

B/

Pear jelly today, pear sauce tomorrow George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 0 06-08-2013 08:56 PM
Making pear jelly George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 2 15-08-2011 07:28 PM
Last batch of pear jelly George Shirley Preserving 0 07-08-2009 10:54 PM
Pear jelly George Shirley Preserving 3 02-08-2009 02:04 AM
Prickly Pear Jelly Mary Filmore Recipes (moderated) 0 05-06-2008 03:19 AM