Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pear jelly

We put up eight pints of pear jelly today, made in the manner I
described yesterday. This batch, due to the type of pear we used has a
rich red color. Very nice looking and probably will be good to eat.

Probably Sunday we will start peeling,coring, and slicing pears for pear
slices in very light syrup. I think that will be our final product of
this batch of pears.

Our day started with a thunderstorm moving in before daylight and
lasting until mid-morning. I believe we are caught up on the amount of
rain we are supposed to get. The okra is about eight feet tall now and
the pepper plants are approaching four feet tall. Luckily it's about
8,000 feet straight down to rocks or we would be swimming.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> We put up eight pints of pear jelly today, made in the manner I described
> yesterday. This batch, due to the type of pear we used has a rich red
> color. Very nice looking and probably will be good to eat.
>
> Probably Sunday we will start peeling,coring, and slicing pears for pear
> slices in very light syrup. I think that will be our final product of this
> batch of pears.
>
> Our day started with a thunderstorm moving in before daylight and lasting
> until mid-morning. I believe we are caught up on the amount of rain we are
> supposed to get. The okra is about eight feet tall now and the pepper
> plants are approaching four feet tall. Luckily it's about 8,000 feet
> straight down to rocks or we would be swimming.

I'm envious of all those pears, George. I'm waiting for the Ontario pears
to come in so I can make another delicious batch of marmalade or 2. Maybe
I'll try some jelly too.

The problem is, we've had so much damn rain (more than twice the usual for
this time of year) this summer that every thing tastes waterlogged. The
strawberries were tasteless - as if they had been injected with water, and
they barely lasted a day without spoiling. My flower gardens are lush but
wont bloom. I have patio tomatoes that can't ripen. I'd say the only thing
that is really successful is the mosquito population! I bought corn on the
cob today - it's tiny, maybe 8 to 10 inches a cob. Dunno what it tastes
like yet...........

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> We put up eight pints of pear jelly today, made in the manner I described
>> yesterday. This batch, due to the type of pear we used has a rich red
>> color. Very nice looking and probably will be good to eat.
>>
>> Probably Sunday we will start peeling,coring, and slicing pears for pear
>> slices in very light syrup. I think that will be our final product of this
>> batch of pears.
>>
>> Our day started with a thunderstorm moving in before daylight and lasting
>> until mid-morning. I believe we are caught up on the amount of rain we are
>> supposed to get. The okra is about eight feet tall now and the pepper
>> plants are approaching four feet tall. Luckily it's about 8,000 feet
>> straight down to rocks or we would be swimming.

> I'm envious of all those pears, George. I'm waiting for the Ontario pears
> to come in so I can make another delicious batch of marmalade or 2. Maybe
> I'll try some jelly too.
>
> The problem is, we've had so much damn rain (more than twice the usual for
> this time of year) this summer that every thing tastes waterlogged. The
> strawberries were tasteless - as if they had been injected with water, and
> they barely lasted a day without spoiling. My flower gardens are lush but
> wont bloom. I have patio tomatoes that can't ripen. I'd say the only thing
> that is really successful is the mosquito population! I bought corn on the
> cob today - it's tiny, maybe 8 to 10 inches a cob. Dunno what it tastes
> like yet...........
>
> Kathi

Our rainfall averages from 35 to 100 inches per year, any fruit or plant
that can't swim doesn't make it. I seem to remember that in 1991 we had
right at 100 inches. We spent from July through November of that year in
Yemen so missed a good part of the rain.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>> We put up eight pints of pear jelly today, made in the manner I
>>> described yesterday. This batch, due to the type of pear we used has a
>>> rich red color. Very nice looking and probably will be good to eat.
>>>
>>> Probably Sunday we will start peeling,coring, and slicing pears for pear
>>> slices in very light syrup. I think that will be our final product of
>>> this batch of pears.
>>>
>>> Our day started with a thunderstorm moving in before daylight and
>>> lasting until mid-morning. I believe we are caught up on the amount of
>>> rain we are supposed to get. The okra is about eight feet tall now and
>>> the pepper plants are approaching four feet tall. Luckily it's about
>>> 8,000 feet straight down to rocks or we would be swimming.

>> I'm envious of all those pears, George. I'm waiting for the Ontario
>> pears to come in so I can make another delicious batch of marmalade or 2.
>> Maybe I'll try some jelly too.
>>
>> The problem is, we've had so much damn rain (more than twice the usual
>> for this time of year) this summer that every thing tastes waterlogged.
>> The strawberries were tasteless - as if they had been injected with
>> water, and they barely lasted a day without spoiling. My flower gardens
>> are lush but wont bloom. I have patio tomatoes that can't ripen. I'd
>> say the only thing that is really successful is the mosquito population!
>> I bought corn on the cob today - it's tiny, maybe 8 to 10 inches a cob.
>> Dunno what it tastes like yet...........
>>
>> Kathi

update - corn sucked........... : (