Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Prickly Pear Jelly

Prickly Pear Jelly

2 1/2 cups prickly pear cactus juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 cups sugar
1 box of powdered pectin (18 teaspoons-note that not all pectin brands
contain the same amount in a box, so measure it out to make sure)

Pick fruit in fall when red and purple in color. Use metal tongs. Put into
sink of water. Stir to rinse. Pick up with tongs. Cut fruit in quarters on
cutting board with several layers of paper. You can also burn off the
spines by holding the fruit over a burner on the stove for a few seconds.
I don't do this because I use tongs to hold the fruit

Place fruit in large kettle and add water to the top of the fruit. Bring
to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Gently press with a potato masher. The
fruit should be soft enough to mash without much pressure. If not, boil a
few more mintues. Strain the juice and water through a colander with two
layers of cheesecloth to remove the seeds and pulp. Do not press the
fruit because that will release small particles aimto your jelly and it
will not be clear.

It takes about 14 . 16 fruits to make 2 1/2 cups of juice. We've found
that 2 1/2 pounds of fruit will yield a little over 2 1/2 cups of juice
using the method above.

2 1/2 cups prickly pear cactus juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 cups sugar
1 box of powdered pectin (18 teaspoons-note that not all pectin brands
contain the same amount in a box, so measure it out to make sure)

Hard boil cactus fruit juice, pectin and lemon juice for 3 minutes. Hard
boil means the point at which the brew still bubbles even when you stir
it. Add sugar and bring back to a hard boil for 2 minutes or until the
jell point is reached. Put in 8 once canning jars, seal and heat process
for 10 minutes.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives: