dizzi

Default What is the shelf life for.....

Could someone tell me what the shelf life is for homemade jams and jellies?
I had peach jam for 2 years that became darker in color. Is it still safe
to eat?

Thanks

zxcvbob

dizzi wrote:
> Could someone tell me what the shelf life is for homemade jams and jellies?
> I had peach jam for 2 years that became darker in color. Is it still safe
> to eat?

It's probably safe for 10 years (or more), but if the color is fading it
might not have much taste left. I have some spicy tomato jam from 2000
that is still good, but it was very strong-flavored and kind of dark to
begin with.

Try it and see. The worst that will happen is it will just be sweet
with no aroma and little fruitiness left.

Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "dizzi"
> wrote:

> Could someone tell me what the shelf life is for homemade jams and
> jellies? I had peach jam for 2 years that became darker in color. Is
> it still safe to eat?

> Thanks

Recommended use is within a year. Practical use is much longer than
that. I chuck stuff after three years if I can't give it to someone
who'll eat it soon. :-) The color change isn't an indication of safety
as long as you've got tight seals on the lids. Red jams (especially the
low-sugar or fruit-only spreads) tend to go to an unappealing brown -
makes them a pain in the neck for the commercial producers of same.
One of the things sugar does is help preserve the color, too. If you
pop a lid and find mold (not likely), I'd chuck it. Otherwise, a small
taste will tell you if you want to keep eating it. You're not going to
get botulism poisoning from jam or jelly.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

dizzi

So much information in your answers....thank you both!!

"dizzi" > wrote in message
> Could someone tell me what the shelf life is for homemade jams and

jellies?
> I had peach jam for 2 years that became darker in color. Is it still safe
> to eat?
>

> Thanks

dizzi

"dizzi" > wrote in message
> Could someone tell me what the shelf life is for homemade jams and

jellies?
> I had peach jam for 2 years that became darker in color. Is it still safe
> to eat?
>

> Thanks

Brian Mailman

dizzi wrote:

> So much information in your answers....thank you both!!

Right now I'm exhausted from an extremely busy and unproductive day. If
someone doesn't write by tomorrow the signs of spoilage to look for
(raised lids, etc.) I'll try.

B/
Brian Mailman

Shelf life? [email protected] Wine 8 11-11-2014 11:31 PM
Shelf life The Wolf Preserving 3 05-05-2010 03:30 AM
Shelf life SteveB[_2_] General Cooking 64 19-12-2008 08:24 PM
How do you tell the shelf life of a kit? arrassa Winemaking 2 19-03-2007 06:32 AM
shelf life k-dawg Winemaking 2 01-02-2006 05:12 PM