Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Re-using syrup/brine

Would you?
I had syrup for probably 6 pints of PBDC and the yield was only 2 pints
+ 2 halves. All of the syrup was used for soaking the beets; only some
was used in packing.

Would you use the remaining syrup for another batch? IMWTK.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Would you?
> I had syrup for probably 6 pints of PBDC and the yield was only 2 pints
> + 2 halves. All of the syrup was used for soaking the beets; only some
> was used in packing.
>
> Would you use the remaining syrup for another batch? IMWTK.

I'd simmer it for a while first, to kill any organisms
that might have snuck in.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Would you?
>> I had syrup for probably 6 pints of PBDC and the yield was only 2 pints +
>> 2 halves. All of the syrup was used for soaking the beets; only some
>> was used in packing.
>>
>> Would you use the remaining syrup for another batch? IMWTK.

> I'd simmer it for a while first, to kill any organisms
> that might have snuck in.
>
> gloria p

Ditto. Have saved leftover syrup in the fridge, then (esp. in PBDC)
resimmered that leftovers with the new batch, 30 min. Have also jarred up
the leftover syrup & put in the bwb if I liked to sneak a leetle drink of
pickle syrup, you guys out there know who you are. Or iffn I planned on
making the same stuff a month from now and didn't trust leaving in the
fridge that long.

Edrena, faithful disciple of St. Vinaigrette, Holy Order of the Sacred
Sisters & Brothers of St. Pectina of Jella (HOSS&BSPJ)

Posted to rec.food.preserving,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> I'd simmer it for a while first, to kill any organisms
> that might have snuck in.

I agree it's gross, like eating lunch in the dirty public bathroom

mk5000

"I'd pour my heart out on each page
I'd ask for war to end
For peace to mend this world
I'd say, I'd say, I'd say"--charice, note to god

Posted to rec.food.preserving,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

marika wrote:

> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>

>> I'd simmer it for a while first, to kill any organisms
>> that might have snuck in.

> I agree it's gross, like eating lunch in the dirty public bathroom

Ummmm...no, not like that at all.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> marika wrote:
> >
> > "Gloria P" > wrote in message
> >

> >> I'd simmer it for a while first, to kill any organisms
> >> that might have snuck in.

> > I agree it's gross, like eating lunch in the dirty public bathroom
> >

> Ummmm...no, not like that at all.
>
> gloria p

I wonder why "she" added a group to my OP. I hope it doesn't start of
flood of junk.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.preserving,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> Ummmm...no, not like that at all.

o ok.

speaking of brine which is why i mentioned it how do you keep stuff like
this from going gross

last weekend I went to a Greek Turkish restaurant Zaitinya owned by Chef
Jose Andres.
I ordered this great food listed under "Cheeses and Cures"
Listed as such
Avgotaraho
(one of Jose Andres' favorites)
Greek delicacy of cured grey mullet roe

the roe was dressed and then wrapped in wax (beeswax I think) and then left
for a few months. Then when ready, they slice it in thin slices, peel the
wax, and then serve it on bread. It's delicious, almost like a caviar jerky
but not chewy more pasty.
I find a lot of info about it, mostly descriptions of the wax wrapping. But
I still haven't found any real explanation of how they dress the roe before
they wrap it. It may be just salt. And it's nothing special or more
complicated than that. But I also wonder do you keep it in a cool place?
Fridge? Special temperature.

mk5000

:"Don't be looking at me like I ain't got no draws on"--. Etta James

Posted to rec.food.preserving,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
news:040720091620231853%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
> In article > , marika
> > wrote:
>
>> mk5000

> The troll's private playground "alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley"
> removed from this reply.
>
> Be warned that "marika" is spreading out across newsgroups trying to
> build the number of replies going to its litterbox.

I take it then that you don't know anything about Avgotaraho?
Do you maybe know of some sources that I could find out how to make it?
It's kind of neat tasting and on the net it says there's only one
source/importer for it
Thanks for any assistance ...

mk5000

"she's got her own thing
that's why I love her
miss independent
won't you come and spend a little time "-- ne yo, miss independent

To brine or not to brine Oregonian Haruspex General Cooking 5 02-05-2014 05:41 AM
Would my own simple syrup sub OK for corn syrup? Kalmia General Cooking 8 02-04-2013 11:39 PM
corn syrup vs cane syrup in marshmallows Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 13 16-05-2012 12:54 AM
AFB Brine FAQ Piedmont Barbecue 0 26-12-2004 08:20 PM
Pork Shoulder - To Brine Or Not To Brine ... fatsam Barbecue 10 17-09-2004 04:51 PM