fatsam

Default Pork Shoulder - To Brine Or Not To Brine ...

.... that is the question.

I have a 8.5lb. Pork Shoulder

My wife thinks I should brine it before smoking.

Should I ...

fatsam

Duwop

fatsam wrote:
> ... that is the question.
>
> I have a 8.5lb. Pork Shoulder
>
> My wife thinks I should brine it before smoking.
>
> Should I ...
>
> fatsam

Brining is to add moisture to the meat, I've never met a dried out butt. And
there's the danger of making it ham-like too. Resist this call of the dark
side Luke, resist!

Do's, using brown sugar to increase crust seems to be common, if your cooker
can take raw wood, by all means try a log or two. I don't know if it's
possible to oversmoke a butt. Most other pieces sure, but not butt.
I've used pieces you'd use in your fireplace for a pork butt, no problems.

Did you save all the great uses for leftovers in the thread a week ago or
so?

Duwop

fatsam wrote:
> ... that is the question.
>
> I have a 8.5lb. Pork Shoulder
>
> My wife thinks I should brine it before smoking.
>
> Should I ...
>
> fatsam

Brining is to add moisture to the meat, I've never met a dried out butt. And
there's the danger of making it ham-like too. Resist this call of the dark
side Luke, resist!

Do's, using brown sugar to increase crust seems to be common, if your cooker
can take raw wood, by all means try a log or two. I don't know if it's
possible to oversmoke a butt. Most other pieces sure, but not butt.
I've used pieces you'd use in your fireplace for a pork butt, no problems.

Did you save all the great uses for leftovers in the thread a week ago or
so?

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:58:50 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>No way. Save the brining for loins and chops.

But first read the label. Chances are that those loins and chops--and
the butt in question--have already been brined. Look for phrases such
as "flavoring solution" or "moisture added."
--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:58:50 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>No way. Save the brining for loins and chops.

But first read the label. Chances are that those loins and chops--and
the butt in question--have already been brined. Look for phrases such
as "flavoring solution" or "moisture added."
--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr

Woogeroo

I've done 5 to 8 pork butts in the past year on my old style big green
egg, no bringing, tastes great not dry at all, plenty of fat in there
to keep it from drying out.

oen thing I did do, which was suggested to me by someone else, was to
take some actual garlic cloves, then smash 'em a bit to open them up,
and cut slits int he pork butt and stuff the cloves in there.... also
some slices of onion and what not. The flavor cooks throughout the
meat and really adds to it.

Somethign to try...

I like it.

-W

-Woogeroo

<- remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Edwin Pawlowski

"fatsam" > wrote in message
> Should I ...

If you want to make ham, yes. If you want to make bbq, no.

Edwin Pawlowski

"fatsam" > wrote in message
> Should I ...

If you want to make ham, yes. If you want to make bbq, no.

Nathan Lau

fatsam wrote:
> ... that is the question.
>
> I have a 8.5lb. Pork Shoulder
>
> My wife thinks I should brine it before smoking.
>
> Should I ...

Pork butt doens't need brining. The moistness comes from the internal
fat and collagen melting down during the cooking process. As long as
you don't overcook it, it'll be fine.

You can, however, inject with a flavoring agent like apple juice.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Nathan Lau

fatsam wrote:
> ... that is the question.
>
> I have a 8.5lb. Pork Shoulder
>
> My wife thinks I should brine it before smoking.
>
> Should I ...

Pork butt doens't need brining. The moistness comes from the internal
fat and collagen melting down during the cooking process. As long as
you don't overcook it, it'll be fine.

You can, however, inject with a flavoring agent like apple juice.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

brine curing pork shoulder or butt? Kent Preserving 2 27-04-2008 10:03 PM
Brine Curing Pork Shoulder with Morton's Tenderquick? Kent General Cooking 7 23-04-2008 02:54 AM
How long to brine a pork picnic? Sqwertz Barbecue 19 24-03-2008 07:02 AM
Brine for pork loin? BrianW Barbecue 7 06-07-2006 07:29 PM
Brine recipe for wild boar shoulder Zz Yzx Barbecue 3 18-05-2006 05:54 PM