Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default OT? Vacuum seal from canned food

Not certain where to look or ask about this, but does anyone know if you
open a can of, say, Raviolis could you vacuum/seal it in a Food Saver-type
bag and have it last at room temperature as long as it would have in the
can?
If not right place, please direct me, if possible.
Thank you, Roberta

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Roberta wrote:
> Not certain where to look or ask about this, but does anyone know if you
> open a can of, say, Raviolis could you vacuum/seal it in a Food Saver-type
> bag and have it last at room temperature as long as it would have in the
> can?
> If not right place, please direct me, if possible.
> Thank you, Roberta

The short answer is NO.
Once the cans original sterilization and seal is broke the contents need
to be refrigerated. While you can get a vacumn this doesn't
resterilize the contents.

Connie TC
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Connie TenClay wrote:
> Roberta wrote:
>> Not certain where to look or ask about this, but does anyone know if you
>> open a can of, say, Raviolis could you vacuum/seal it in a Food Saver-type
>> bag and have it last at room temperature as long as it would have in the
>> can?
>> If not right place, please direct me, if possible.
>> Thank you, Roberta
>>

> The short answer is NO.
> Once the cans original sterilization and seal is broke the contents need
> to be refrigerated. While you can get a vacumn this doesn't
> resterilize the contents.

I'd think it would be even worse with a vacuum.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
m...
> Connie TenClay wrote:
>> Roberta wrote:
>>> Not certain where to look or ask about this, but does anyone know if you
>>> open a can of, say, Raviolis could you vacuum/seal it in a Food
>>> Saver-type bag and have it last at room temperature as long as it would
>>> have in the can?
>>> If not right place, please direct me, if possible.
>>> Thank you, Roberta

>> The short answer is NO.
>> Once the cans original sterilization and seal is broke the contents need
>> to be refrigerated. While you can get a vacumn this doesn't resterilize
>> the contents.

> I'd think it would be even worse with a vacuum.
>
> B/

Thank you. I must apologize for my message. I meant to delete not send.
After I typed it I realized I could check with my University extension
service - which I did and got basically the same answer.
Also, on "thunking" about it, common sense should have told me this was a
no-no!
Roberta

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Roberta wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Connie TenClay wrote:
>>> The short answer is NO.
>>> Once the cans original sterilization and seal is broke the contents need
>>> to be refrigerated. While you can get a vacumn this doesn't resterilize
>>> the contents.

>> I'd think it would be even worse with a vacuum.
>>
>> B/

> Thank you. I must apologize for my message. I meant to delete not send.
> After I typed it I realized I could check with my University extension
> service - which I did and got basically the same answer.
> Also, on "thunking" about it, common sense should have told me this was a
> no-no!
> Roberta

Hey, its better to ask than not to know. We all have DUH moments. :-)
Connie TC

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Roberta" > wrote:

> Not certain where to look or ask about this, but does anyone know if you
> open a can of, say, Raviolis could you vacuum/seal it in a Food Saver-type
> bag and have it last at room temperature as long as it would have in the
> can?
> If not right place, please direct me, if possible.
> Thank you, Roberta

In a word, no. Vacuum sealing it with a FoodSaver is not remotely the
same as steam pressure canning to create a vacuum seal. It will spoil.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini